• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NEBRUSKER????????

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
New Nebraska Cattle Producer
Group Launched From Scratch

DENVER — Within minutes of her husband making the announcement, Kim Abbott stood at a table in the ballroom here with a fist full of money and more cattlemen writing checks.

Chris Abbott, Gordon, Neb., announced the formation of the Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska during R-CALF's sixth annual convention here in the Mile High City.

Abbott, one of the plaintiffs in the Pickett v. IBP lawsuit, made the announcement following a speech by Dave Domina, the lead attorney in the case.

Actually, Abbott said, the idea of the new organization stemmed from a comment made by Domina a year ago in Montgomery, Ala., where the case was heard in federal court.

"You've got to go home and build R-CALF," Domina told him. "You've go to take over the present organization or start a new one."

"We're a little slow," Abbott grinned. "It only took us a year."

But he said that the concerns of many of the cattlemen in Nebraska extend beyond just packer concentration.

"It became really clear in recent months and in this past year," Abbott explained, "that with these major issues that we're facing, one national cattlemen's organization cannot represent all sectors of our industry."

He said it's up to the grassroots producer to face the problems today.

"It's important, Abbott said, "that the Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska has an organization that represents only their interests."

Abbott said that when he got home from Alabama, he called the president of the Nebraska cattlemen and the president-elect. He said there was no response.

"For two hours we visited," Abbott said. "We agreed on one thing. We all need to come together."

The problem is that the other side wanted Abbott and Rothwell to give up too much.

"Their way of coming together was different from our way," Abbott said. "Independent cattlemen have got to stand shoulder to shoulder is my way."

Abbott said the president of the state group wasn't even from Nebraska.

"I asked the president of the Nebraska Cattlemen where he's from," Abbott said. "He said 'Texas.'"

The core group of the new organization consists of Chris Abbott of Gordon, Robert Rothwell of Hyannis, David Wright of Neligh, Korley Sears of Ainsworth and Al Davis of Hyannis.

It's quite obvious," said Rothwell, "that the timing is ideal right now to start an organization."

They're deeply concerned over the BSE controversy and the Canadian border.

"At the time we were in trial with this thing, the BSE was raging," Rothwell said. "If you look back over the year, a lot of those three issues — country of origin labeling, BSE and captive supplies — have come to the forefront. Now some of the problems we have with the east and west coasts are ones of education."

There is a lack of accurate information going to the public, he contended.

"It's important for our group," Rothwell said, "to educate those consumers with helping to get a better product and help with issues like country of origin labeling."

He thinks it is up to a new organization, another grassroots organization like R-CALF from rural areas to take up the challenge, Rothwell said.

He said they will get information from the grassroots back to the national organization.

Rothwell said groups like the Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska need to be started all over the country.

"These groups," Rothwell said, "I think will only grow."

"The current issue of the border makes it painfully obvious that the current leadership doesn't understand it's not either from a health risk standpoint or an economic standpoint, it's not beneficial to the consumer nor the producers," said Wright.

Wright said he wants a producer-driven organization. He said that's the way it used to be. That's the way it's supposed to be.

"How can you open the border and come up with all kinds of reasons to do it?" Wright asked.

"If you want to buy a new pickup," Rothwell said, "you can justify just about anything. If you want to open the border, you can find ways to justify it."

"That's the problem," Wright said, "our organizations dance to the tune of the USDA."

Citing a white paper concerning movement of personnel from industry jobs to government and back to industry, the group calls the closed culture a revolving door.

"They keep on doing business as usual," Rothwell said.

He said producers keep getting treated like they're insignificant.

"We're going to take our industry back," Abbott said.

HAY MAKER said:
"If you want to buy a new pickup," Rothwell said, "you can justify just about anything. If you want to open the border, you can find ways to justify it."

And if you don't want to buy a pickup you can always find ways to justify that too. And if you don't want the border open you can spout all kinds of lies to justify your way of thinking but it doesn't change the fact they are still lies.

Excuse me for bringing this up, but I take exception to your labelling of Canadian cattle as "diseased".

Below is an excerpt from the CFIA website regarding the change in rules regarding importation of cattle from the United States.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/corpaffr/newcom/2004/20040310e.shtml

Of particular interest regarding your post which would seem to imply that the US cattle herd is disease free is a quote from the aforementioned news release.

Quote: 'Bluetongue and anaplasmosis are livestock diseases found in the U.S., but not in Canada.'

Thank you for taking the time to consider this information for possible use in your future posts. I'm not sure whether you personally care or not, but thought it would be nice to clarify this for other users of this site.

Take care.

R-Calf,
Thank you for clarifying your intent for posting and the somewhat civil response.

Have a nice day, you little ray o' sunshine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FYI the above mentioned diseases have never resulted in the loss of export markets,

Blue tounge and Anaplasmosis have both caused the US to loss export markets. Not in the beef, but in the breeding market. Exports to Canada, Austrailia and New Zealand just to name a few. Most of the export market that was lost in in semen and embryo's.
:mad:
And now, just to apeize you guys, we are being forced to take contaminated and diseased cattle from the US. We did it for you, now its your turn. :!:

It has caused a substantial loss to the breeding exports. R-calf-Nebrusker maybe you should put that in your grandpaps pipe and smoke it! :evil:

Now we see the vulgarity come back,WTF, does that stand for "way to funny". Hope so or your on a slippery slope R Calf. Oh yes you are already are. Welcome to the real world.

CA :lol: :lol: :lol:

R-Calf said:
Manitoba_Rancher said:
It has caused a substantial loss to the breeding exports. R-calf-Nebrusker maybe you should put that in your grandpaps pipe and smoke it! :evil:

Huh, it's funny then how all of the local seedstock breeders are ardent R-Calf backers. And WTF does my grandpa have to do w/ every post, he is a very, very old man and couldn't even turn a computer on. But I imagine a computer is about the ONLY thing you could turn on, besides the air compressor for old faithful Bertha.

DO YOU HAVE ANY COMMON SENSE? THINK BEFORE YOU TALK, OR IS THAT TOO HARD?

Nebrusker: "Huh, it's funny then how all of the local seedstock breeders are ardent R-Calf backers. And WTF does my grandpa have to do w/ every post, he is a very, very old man and couldn't even turn a computer on. But I imagine a computer is about the ONLY thing you could turn on, besides the air compressor for old faithful Bertha."

Looks like Nebrusker has finally graced us with his depth of intellect again.

That didn't take long!

~SH~

Nebrusker: "O please SH, baffle us with more BS. Go drive around and waste some more of the tax payers money."

Well Nebrusker, when you think you can leave your discrediting little safety zone long enough to enter into an intellectual debate on the facts of any issue we discuss here, let me know.

I'd be glad to show the readers just how much you don't know.

Would you like to debate the merits of your "captive supply" conspiracy theories?

Would you like to debate the merits of your worthless 75% of imported beef exempted, unenforceable "M"COOL law?

Would you like to explain how fat cattle prices continued to rise after Canadian boxed beef imports were allowed back in if imports were the reason for higher fat cattle prices?

Would you like to debate the merits of R-CALF's Washington D.C. testimony about the retail to fat cattle price spread being the greatest proof of market manipulation?

Would you like to back R-CALF's lie about contaminated Canadian beef?

Nah, you'd rather make your discrediting little statements towards anyone who isn't an R-CULT clone and slam Canadian producers to justify stabbing them in the back. That's obviously where you feel safest.

Intellectual debate certainly isn't for followers!

~SH~

I just heard oj simpson wants to move to nebraska because everyones dna is the same there. :D

Jared (r-calf, nebrusker ,ect). Remember that what you say has a way of coming back to haunt you as the world is very small. Even though you are now an un-weaned university of Nebraska frat brat, it is no excuse for childish behavior. When you are off mamas tit in the real world you may perhaps come to this mature realization.

Looks like it was beer drinkin' at Alpha Gamma Rho.

http://www.unl.edu/agr/membersh.htm

Yup Nebrusker is still sucking moma's teat! Its amazing what you can find on the internet. I guess (Jarred,Nebrusker,R-calf) is a put on when he says he has all these cows to calve out. Its likely his DADDY or Rich ole Grandpa that has all the cattle and hes no more than a beer drinkin, big mouthed college frat brat!!!! :twisted:

Did you hear that they have raised the minimum drinking age in nebraska to 32? It seems they want to keep alcohol out or the high schools.

Thats what i was thinking also Shelly,that maybe he is just a mean drunk,but it's to hard to type when a person is drunk.

I was wondering where Nebrusker lived because on his icon hes got "the rez" up here we refer to Indian Rserves as the REZ! :x

Latest posts