• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

neck sprains

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sierraman

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a neck can be sprained, especially without knowing it 'til later?

I had a sore neck over the weekend and Monday, but nothing I can think of caused it.

I've had that happen a couple of times. Just woke up and there it was. Could only turn my head one way. Painful, isn't it?

yeah. But it lasted all day. Hard to hold it still on the pillow too. It feels just about fine now.

Katina, I doubt West Nile. Its been dry dry dry. Mosquitos haven't been out. Now, over this weekend, quite some rain has fallen, and yeah, it's a worry now. I haven't seen mosquitos yet, but I know they're coming now. I'll be doing plenty of slapping pretty soon.

Yup, Sierraman!!!! for a sprain, try ibuprofen, ice (for the first 24 hours...place ice to affected area 3-4 times a day....after 24 hours, though, alternate with a source of heat like a heating pad or warmed rice bag) and rest.....give it a day or two and try some GENTLE AND SLOW stretching exercises....or, even better, try a massage therapist!!! If this injury could have been brought on by too many hours on a tractor (like always happens with Mr. Ranchwife), then i suggest a chiropractor...you may have really "popped something outta whack" :wink: Best of luck to you, young man!!! :D :D

Now that we know your age , I would bet that a pretty girl was walking down the street and you whipped you head around for a look. :wink: :wink: :cowboy:

I have problems with my neck big time when I go to bed with damp hair....Mind you my hair is long. Thinking yours isn't. But thought I would stick my .02 in there.

Sierraman said:
Does anyone know if a neck can be sprained, especially without knowing it 'til later?

I had a sore neck over the weekend and Monday, but nothing I can think of caused it.
HOO BOY! :shock: :shock: You have just opened a Pandora's Box of Discussions that COULD take this entire Forum. As most of you know, in addition to having taught Agriculture in my past career life, I am also a Dr. of Chiropractic - 60 years now - and I could answer this post with - - -oh, I guess about four years of lecturers and books and classes (I also taught Chiropractic Adjustive Technic for several years), so - -that can't happen at this venue! Suffice it to say, Sierraman, the best advice I may give you here is - in spite of whether the problem of pain and discomfort is still in evidence - or NOT - the original etiology (cause) of the problem is lurking sub-liminally (below the level of consciousness). MAKE AN APPOINTMENT WITH A DR. OF CHIROPRACTIC, have him do a COMPLETE examination INCLUDING (absolutely!) X-rays, and follow his suggestions. I could spend hours and hours explaining the possible reasons and causes of your symptoms, but most of the "stuff" that is suggested by well-meaning friends treats the SYMPTOMS - BUT not the CAUSE! Don't say "---but it doesn't HURT now---" GO - NOW.

If you wish for me to give you a VERY short list of possible reasons for your particular problem, e-mail me and I will go into more detail. This Forum is not the place for that.

DOC HARRIS

ranchwife said:
Yup, Sierraman!!!! for a sprain, try ibuprofen, ice (for the first 24 hours...place ice to affected area 3-4 times a day....after 24 hours, though, alternate with a source of heat like a heating pad or warmed rice bag) and rest.....give it a day or two and try some GENTLE AND SLOW stretching exercises....or, even better, try a massage therapist!!! If this injury could have been brought on by too many hours on a tractor (like always happens with Mr. Ranchwife), then i suggest a chiropractor...you may have really "popped something outta whack" :wink: Best of luck to you, young man!!! :D :D
Ranchwife - just a very short comment to your comment (see my answer to Sierraman).

DO NOT USE A DRY HEATING PAD - EVER! and you are correct about the tractor. I have had MANY patients with that problem. It's called "Tractor Back" :evil: But there are thousands of other possibilities!

Doc, I'm not trying to get a diagnosis. I just can't imagine spraining the neck without actually knowing it. I've been in a car accident and a sore neck later but it was a situation with a duh... for an answer. In this case, I couldn't think of a thing that happened to cause this. However, as a buggy pusher/bagger at a grocery store over this summer, I have pushed a couple more at a time than they have told me too. I didn't think of it till I went back and puushed some more.

Sierraman said:
Doc, I'm not trying to get a diagnosis. I just can't imagine spraining the neck without actually knowing it. I've been in a car accident and a sore neck later but it was a situation with a duh... for an answer. In this case, I couldn't think of a thing that happened to cause this. However, as a buggy pusher/bagger at a grocery store over this summer, I have pushed a couple more at a time than they have told me too. I didn't think of it till I went back and puushed some more.
Refer to my previous post.

Latest posts