• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Need a New Truck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Well, smoked a deer onmy way home from Regina last night, long story short I will be needing a new truck. All I have real experience with is the 90's chevy trucks, Dad had one until he bought his Duramax. What trucks has everyone enjoyed in the past that would currently have a pricetag of under 7k?

My foster son hit an 8 point buck and threw it in my son's yard.

Called the sheriff, took it to the locker pland and the insurance totaled his cavalier - - - got more that twice what he had paid for it!

No body ( except the deer ) got hurt so I guess this was one with a happy ending.

Can't go wrong with an old 7.3 Ford or a mechanical Cummins. As long as the running gear is in good shape. You can find either of these in that price range with some shopping around.

glad your allright, what was your old truck? do you need to pull a trailer a LOT? only reason im asking is that gas trucks are cheaper to maintain, start easier when cold etc. if you don't really need the diesel there are probably better gas trucks out there for the $ than their diesel equivilent

Glad no one was hurt (except the deer). Check out kijiji if you are looking. There are lots of good used vehicles on there, and they are usually a lot cheaper than other places.

I do not need a diesel, but it would be put to good use if I got one. I do all my truck shopping on kijiji, but the only kind I know about is 90's chevys because thats all we've ever ran. I wanted to know if anyone had good or bad experiences

Hayguy, I had a 98 chevy 4x4 with 5.7 vortec V8, extended cab short box

Whatever you get, if you are going to drop 7 large on it, drop some more and put a Ranch Hand on the front of it. Then Bambi will be on the lookout for YOU, not the other way around. :wink: The three trucks I presently own are all equipped with a Ranch Hand. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
I do not need a diesel, but it would be put to good use if I got one. I do all my truck shopping on kijiji, but the only kind I know about is 90's chevys because thats all we've ever ran. I wanted to know if anyone had good or bad experiences

Hayguy, I had a 98 chevy 4x4 with 5.7 vortec V8, extended cab short box

i really shouldn't have replied to your post as my idea of a perfect ranch truck is a '46 dodge power wagon with pto winch, and all the accessories like heat and windsheild wipers :lol: :lol:

loomixguy said:
Whatever you get, if you are going to drop 7 large on it, drop some more and put a Ranch Hand on the front of it. Then Bambi will be on the lookout for YOU, not the other way around. :wink: The three trucks I presently own are all equipped with a Ranch Hand. Wouldn't have it any other way.

That would be my advive I hit one about 3 weeks ago and other than the hair you would'nt know it. I had the flatbed in tow and it took the rear truck axel and all 3 trailer axels with no damage of course it was a Ford so that helped. :wink:

loomixguy said:

I've got Ranchhand bumpers on my trucks. The one deer I didn't hit dead center did take out the mirror but other than that the deer was the only thing damaged. they either got knocked into the ditch or went under the truck and trailer.

We've ran all three brands and everyone has its problems. Duramax had injector issues, but the truck held up well around it. Fed with a 95 powerstroke for 4 years, motor was great but couldn't keep a front end under it. Same with the dodge, cummins is a great motor but the ball joints etc. ate us up. I'm back in a 98 chevy ton now and really it has been a good truck. Starting my second winter with it.

If you feed and USE a truck be ready to work on it no matter what. As others have said spend the 1K and put a replacement bumper on it.

loomixguy said:

Sil bought a real nice 06 Dodge Cummins. Put the Ranch Hand on it, and says more people comment on the bumper than on the PU! This is good advice.

i got a ranchhand on mine. now when i see a deer, i speed up :wink:

as far as pickups go, i think the 7.3 is going to be your best buy. not easy to find around here though, everybody is after them and those that have them are not parting with them. i just got an 06 f-350 with V-10 for a ranch pickup and so far i like i. plenty of power, but not great gas mileage. that was expected though.

my 03 7.3 has 150,000 miles on it and still runs like a new one. except for when it's in the shop :wink:

I have an 01 7.3 with 93,000. I really like it but don't work it. It's my go to town show em around truck.

Latest posts