• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Need advice

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mrs.Greg

Reaction score
For my upcoming birthday Greg bought me this sweet little Shitzu pup,hes two half months old.We've never had an inside dog.....I need some advice on housetraining him.

Taking it out on a regular basis, say to start every 30 minutes or so cause their little bladders are tiny! Do the same routine every time you go out....don't vary and it will come recognize your movements as time to go out.

Even ' ask' the dog if it has to go as you're getting ready to go and it will come to recognize those words/sounds will mean upcoming relief if its got to go.

Puppy pads will work but then you really want it to go " out" from the get go.

Bottom line is routine.

We crate train our young pups and its so far worked really well. I agree with kolanuraven. Every 1/2 hr take the pup out and give lots of praise and petting when they do their business. Make a huge fuss. I am fairly busy with four kids and the one thing that i've learned while housetraining is if you can't watch the pup don't let him out of his crate. Now I don't mean to lock up the pup all the time, but for the first week or two when the pup is out of it's crate do not let him out of your sight. If you can catch him before he does his business inside it will be much quicker to train.

My advice is for dog grooming. Make sure you start taking him to a groomer now. I can't even count the times someone has brought me a pup that is 7 months old for a first time trim. I could scream. They are scared to death and have no clue what is going on! So now I have a chainsaw on legs trying to kill me for clipping. Not fair to the dog and really not fair at all to the groomer.

Start at home with daily combing, don't waste your money on brushes, get a metal comb to comb through his coat every single day. Be honest with yourself if you can not comb daily get him trimmed into a short easy to care for trim. When you are grooming make him stand up. Dogs that sit during grooming are a huge pain when it comes haircut time. Keep his little face as clean as you can, a flea comb is great for getting the eye gook out of the corners. If it is a boy trim the little tuft of hair off the end of his penis. When he pees this tip will get soaked and trust me on this one, you do not want him jumping on you with his noodle all wet! EWWWWW.

Be just as firm with him as you are with your big dogs, there is nothing "cute" about a snapping yappy little dog. I'm probably tougher on my weiner than on the Dobies. Because she is with me all the time I expect her to be on good behavior. She growled at me only once, I moved her when she was sleeping. I gave her flying lessons for that one and we have never had a growl since.

I almost forgot get a "rolled" leather collar for your pup (maybe wait until he is like 6 months old cuz they are bloody expensive) The roll leather helps to prevent matting around the neck area. The flat collars rub and make a huge mess.

That's all the advice I have for now , good luck with the little ****...pooo :D

Wow...you guys are great,I got lots of cool advice I didn't even think of.

What really is a puppy pad? I do not want him doing anything inside{ha ha,so far easier said then done} But if hes in the house while greg and I are at work a puppy pad may help,also about the crate,he will not do his job in crate if hes sleeping in there while we're not around?

Kids are way easier...lol

If he is in his crate and he has to go, he's gonna hold it til he can't. But a baby can only go for so long without wizzin :) They say add an hour that he can be in his crate per month of age for example your puppy should be able to go 2 1/2 hours at the moment. I for one am the anti puppy pad lady. I hate the damn things. Pups grab them, rip them to shreds then poop on the floor anyhow so now you have this gross mess of shredded pad and smeared poo. I find baby's trained to pee on pads,paper etc will do so even as adults, imagine your suprize when you reach for the Sunday paper you put down for three seconds and a lovely fresh turd tumbles into your lap :shock: Can't get mad at phydeaux you trained him to go on paper :twisted: LOL My litters go into a stall or the garage when I am at work. probably too cold in your neck o the wood right now I would imagine. I put shaving in a stall and toys and my house is clean when I get home. The adults of course can be in the house. I have a GP litter due soon so I'll be back up to my arm pits in puppy poo. Ahhh good times.

Look in the doggie/puppy section of any " mart" store and they have those pads.

They are basically diapers that lay on the floor for any accidents and the dog basically learns to use them like a cat does a litter box. That becomes the OK spot to ' go' on if they have to!

You guys are funny :) A shih tzu would have a really tough go in the snow in alberta :) His coat would ball up with snow balls and what fun. Don't leave him outside the coyotes would eat him. (pretty sure they were being smarty pants but who knows!)

Judith said:
You guys are funny :) A shih tzu would have a really tough go in the snow in alberta :) His coat would ball up with snow balls and what fun. Don't leave him outside the coyotes would eat him. (pretty sure they were being smarty pants but who knows!)
Exactly,even now when I take the little guy out for a piddle break I almost lose him in the snow...he does like it though.Comes in with a face full of snow :D

Soapweed and alabama,until I got the pup I would have TOTALLY agreed with you,but the stinker got to me. :oops:

Mrs.Greg said:
Judith said:
Exactly,even now when I take the little guy out for a piddle break I almost lose him in the snow...he does like it though.Comes in with a face full of snow :D

:
Put a fish hook through the nap of his neck and cast him out and reel him back in when he's done.

I'm with RR with the rod and reel method of housetraining. At 2 am when he has to go you won't even need to get out of bed! You can just lower him out the bedroom window 8)

RR, house dogs are the natural order of things. Women get empty nest syndrome and WHAM a puppy sniggles its way into the house! I see it all the time. You should see my dad. This man is a self proclaimed dog hater! He had Chesepeakes and only they were real dogs! Well Treenie the weenie has this man wrapped around her paw. They are so cute it makes you gag :gag: He even baby talks to her :shock: , it is shocking to see a grown man reduced to mush by a scheming weiner dog!

Red Robin said:
Soapweed said:
alabama said:
Just leave him outside.

I would second the notion. :wink: That keeps the dog hairs off the couch.
BTW count me in with the no dogs in the house crew. What kind of trouble was Greg in when he bought you a house dog? He must have been a baaaaad boy.
Maybe I was just a really Good girl :p

You really think we are going to fall for this line?

Maybe I was just a really Good girl

Just how gullible do you thing we are :p

Eh hem... Photos??? I havent seen any yet????

Judith said:
You really think we are going to fall for this line?

Maybe I was just a really Good girl

Just how gullible do you thing we are :p

Eh hem... Photos??? I havent seen any yet????

Your just like Cowsense. always wanting pictures of Mrs. Greg being a "GOOD GIRL" :wink:

You goober, like we could get any pictures of her being good :wink: We would all be standing around for a long long time if we waited for that :p

I wanted pictures of her puppy, smart pants.

Judith said:
You goober, like we could get any pictures of her being good :wink: We would all be standing around for a long long time if we waited for that :p

Don't you know the meaning of Cowsense's "GOOD" :wink: :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Judith said:

Don't you know the meaning of Cowsense's "GOOD" :wink: :wink:
Isn't there a saying"you have to be bad to be good :shock:

Latest posts