• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Need ax advice

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mp.freelance

Reaction score
I've got some huge chunks of wood from a tree we recerntly cut down. I want to chop them down into firewood, but don't have a reliable ax. I bought one at Home Depot not too long ago, but the blade actually bent and warped after a few good chops. It must have been a shitty blade, unless this is some kind of supernaturally dense wood.

I need something heavy and resilient - these are big, knotty blocks of Maple. Any recommendations?

splitting maul or go rent a hydraulic wood splitter for a day. an axe just won't cut it on hard wood like that.

sw said:
splitting maul or go rent a hydraulic wood splitter for a day. an axe just won't cut it on hard wood like that.

How heavy a splitting maul? What company do you suggest?

mp.freelance said:
sw said:

How heavy a splitting maul? What company do you suggest?
There used to be a splitting maul called monster maul. I used one when we heated with wood. It is more triangular shape than a splitting axe and doesn't stick in knotty wood as easy. I wonder if they make a splitting maul with a shot filled head like a deadblow hammer. That seems like it would work well.

Yes, I've read of the fabled Monster Maul in my internet searches. Unfortunately, it seems the company that produced them, Sotz Corporation, has gone out of business. The heaviest I've seen is 12 pounders from Northern Tools, but they don't have any local suppliers. I guess I'll have to order it online unless I can find one around here.

mp.freelance said:
Yes, I've read of the fabled Monster Maul in my internet searches. Unfortunately, it seems the company that produced them, Sotz Corporation, has gone out of business. The heaviest I've seen is 12 pounders from Northern Tools, but they don't have any local suppliers. I guess I'll have to order it online unless I can find one around here.
Have you not noticed a triangular head on any splitting mauls??? Not with a sharp edge like a splitting axe but more like a blunt triangle.

reader (the Second) said:
wonder if you can find them on eBay?

I have heard that splitting wood is very therapeutic. I used to have to do it as a girl but haven't tried it recently.
It never was too therapeutic to me R2. Just made for sore hands and backs the next day.

Red Robin said:
mp.freelance said:
Have you not noticed a triangular head on any splitting mauls??? Not with a sharp edge like a splitting axe but more like a blunt triangle.

Yeah, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of heavy ones. Some of these blocks are about 2 ft in diameter, so I figure that I'll need a 15 to 20 pound head.

mp.freelance said:
Red Robin said:
mp.freelance said:

Yeah, but there doesn't seem to be an abundance of heavy ones. Some of these blocks are about 2 ft in diameter, so I figure that I'll need a 15 to 20 pound head.
Get three wedges and a 8 or 10 pound hammer. They will work well just watch for flying wedges.

I called the local ace hardware and they carry 12 pounders. I'll pick one up tomorrow and see how it works. If it doesn't do the trick, the search will continue....

mp.freelance said:
Red Robin said:
Are they the axe bit type or more triangular?

I think the latter, but I'll see tomorrow. I'll let you know, thanks for the advice.

What you need is what we call a Splitting Maul". And maybe some wedges and a sledge hammer.

Red Robin said:
reader (the Second) said:
wonder if you can find them on eBay?

I have heard that splitting wood is very therapeutic. I used to have to do it as a girl but haven't tried it recently.
It never was too therapeutic to me R2. Just made for sore hands and backs the next day.

I agree Red Robin- I just never thought of splitting wood as therapeutic :lol:

If you split it on a twenty below morning it really pops!!

My splitting maul is 10 or 12 lbs. with a fiberglass handle we've cut so much wood in my life we sold firewood and split oak fence posts when I was a kid. It's not the size of the maul more it's the way you swing it :wink: :lol2: I rarely use any wedges but its not how hard you hit but where.You ever ring a bell on the dinger pole at a county fair a little kid can ring it as long as the maul hits flat on the pad its not how hard you hit but how flat try it.A friend of mine and myself kept playing that at our local fair the operator got so mad cause we were showing everyone how to do it he ended closeing up for a break so we would move on sore loser..

It sounds like you need a hammer and some wedges.
Firewood heats you twice. Once when cutting and once when burning.
I have long since quit cutting those big logs and just cut stuff that I don't need to split. However if it is strait grain and easy splitting like water oak or red oak I will split some of that. Leave the knots in the woods.

If you need excersize, a hydraulic spliter will work you as hard as you want, you'll just get a lot more done....

If you want to feel your age or see the Chiropracter, stick with the Malls, LOL

PPRM

Amen PPRM, I'm all for the hydraulic splitters, much easier and much faster, but you'll still get a workout liftin and stackin wood. The only thing we split by hand any more is kindling. Find a good ole pine knot, and split it with a hatchet.

I bought a 12 pound splitting maul, and it works fine. Even the biggest, knottiest blocks came apart after a good working over. My hands look like hamburger, though... I almost knocked myself out when the maul bounced back once, but luckily it missed my head by a couple inches.

Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts