• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Need Info please

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'd suggest getting info from a Montana Rancher, as to how many acres it takes to run one cow/calf pair. How much of your 1700 acres needs to be in hay, what type cows work best in your area, etc. I can't help you in any other way because I'm in Texas, and it's a totally different situation down here.

Also..you might be able to visit a ranch or two in your area and talk to the ranchers in person.

Since you have roughly 2 1/2 sections of ground I would imagine if it were all grazing you could probably run between 50 and 60 head of cows year round provided you bought hay for the winter months. We all know your neck of the woods can have pretty tough winters. These numbers may vary a bit provided how well watered your pastures are and what type of ground you have. Most of NE Montana is pretty good ground.

I dont know if you're wanting to raise bulls or just need bulls for that many cows. 2-3 bulls would easily service that many cows.

I dont know exactly what you want but this will get you going.

cindylonz said:
Hello,
Do you know about running a ranch, I am doing a paper on starting a ranch, I have 1,700 acres and would like to raise cow, calves, and bulls. you help would be greatly appreciated. I am doing this for a college course.
Miss Cindy Lonz, [email protected]

Assuming that this ranch is in N.E.MT. Run it light, buy your winter supplement and work off the ranch somewhere.
40-45 hd. of "GOOD LOW MAINTAINENCE" mother cows
1-terminal cross bull
1-2 horses

In order to make a guaranteed small fortune in ranching, start first with a large one. :lol:

The best thing would be to visit a couple of ranches, that way you can get information straight from the rancher's mouth, especially about the area you are writing about. Information from me in Colorado would not do you much good.

I forgot to mention to keep it simple on the cow side. Run either straight reds or blacks or perhaps red or black baldies. No exotics! Montana is not the place to sell exotics. If it isn't one of the staple breeds it simply will not sell very well. It has been tried before with poor results.

I'll note that it is very, very easy to find an Angus bull in Montana. I'ts pretty much the dominant breed by far. There are enough black sales around to pick up a good bull fairly cheap as long as you're not determined to buy one at one of the "Black Mafia" breeders.

Latest posts