• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Needing Some Book Ideas

Help Support Ranchers.net:

High Plains

Reaction score
I'm getting an error when I try to use the search function on here so I can't seem to find the thread where everyone was bragging about their favorite books. I'm going on a couple of trips (first one starts tomorrow) and will need to gather up some reading material to fill in the gaps. I like to get them at the library since that's free. Anybody have some ideas? I like to read good cowboy-type stuff but I'm not real high on novels like Zane Grey or Louis L'Amour. I'd rather prefer Ben Green's books and Spike Van Cleve, that line of stuff.

Otherwise, I'd be open to most any ideas that a fairly conservative 30-something cowboy-acting type feller might like to read. I've enjoyed some of the John Grisham stuff, too. Just as a departure from the western material. Maybe there's a great biography or something that I'm missing?

I'd appreciate any ideas since I seem to go into a complete blank stare the minute I walk into the library. :wink:

Otherwise, someone could direct me to the previous thread on the topic so that we don't have to go through the entire process once again!

Thanks a million.

HP

Janet Daily has a good series about several generations of a ranching family, they have the name Calder in the title, James Patterson has good mysteries, Karen Robards also writes good murder mysteries, hope that helps :)
Found the link after I posted.......
http://ranchers.net/forum/about22544-0-asc-12.html

Yanuck said:
Janet Daily has a good series about several generations of a ranching family, they have the name Calder in the title, James Patterson has good mysteries, Karen Robards also writes good murder mysteries, hope that helps :)
Found the link after I posted.......
http://ranchers.net/forum/about22544-0-asc-12.html

I HAVE alllllll the Calder Series books, absolutely love them!!!!! Janet Dailey is one of my favorite writers. I read them over and over again. :D

Ok, here are some of my favorites. I love books by Forrest Carter, but there aren't many.

Gone to Texas and The Venggenance Trail of Josey Wales--believe me,these are NOT like Louis' Lamore books). Very believable.

Watch for me on the mountain. The story of Geronimo and the Apache nation.

The Education of Little Tree (autobiography of Forrest Carter growing up.)
It is so goooood.

Grass Beyond the Mountains--Rich Hobson on settling on a ranch in Canada in the 1920's I believe. True story and some mismanagement there, but a very, very good read.

A Charge to Keep (My journey to the White House) by George W. Bush

Of course the Spike Van Cleve books that you already know about.

Oh, Ralph Moodys' books: Little Britches; Home Ranch and
The Fields of Home. These books are timeless. I've loved them for YEARS.

That's all I can think of right now. But I might come up with more later.
I love a good book.

Faster horses said:
Oh, Ralph Moodys' books: Little Britches; Home Ranch and
The Fields of Home. These books are timeless. I've loved them for YEARS.

I have the book Little Britches that my aunt give me when I was born because that is what my dad called me for years "little britches"! I need to drag it out and dust it off and read it again!

Hey Highplains, Finished a book I had on loan about a month. Probably not the most believable but it sure kept my interest up. It was called BRULES, can't remember the author, maybe someone else knows. FH I live in the country Rich Hobson writes about in his 3 books. The names are correct--knew a lot of the old timers mentioned, but like a lot of stories things get stretched to varying degrees. Tommy Holte once told me that Hobson could go fishing for an hour, see some wildflowers on the way back to house and write a full length book about it. He had a good imagination. It does make for some good reading though, and once strained does give some history to the area

I,Tom Horn by Will Henry is one of my favorites and a good read.
If you like stories based in fact,
Sam Steele Lion of the Frontier by Robert Stewart is good.
And you can't beat Diamond Hitch by E.J.Hart.

Soapweed said:
Log of a Cowboy by Andy Adams

Dakota Cowboy by Ike Blasingame
Two of the best books ever written on the old time cattle business. There was another by Teddy "Blue" Abbott, don't recall the name--same caliber of book :?

I'm excited to see if I can locate some of these. Thanks for all of the good recommendations.

I'm pretty sure that some of these will be at the library and several will not. But that gives me more to look forward to in hunting for them.

For today's trip I stopped in at the Library and picked up "Trails Plowed Under" by Charlie Russell. That ought to be a hoot to read. I'm all ramped up to look into some of these other titles, especially since they're coming from some good references. Thanks!!

HP

If anyone else is interested in reading about the Chilcotin country of BC there are 2 books by H. "Dude" Lavington. They are titled "9 Lives of a Cowboy and Born to be Hung. They are very good autobiographies about settlement of the Nazko/Baker Creek areas west of Quesnel BC, circa 1930's to late 1970's

I have read all the Elmer Kelton novels about Texas. They are usually good reading. Also have all the Zane Grey and Louis Lamour books.

One of the best historical books I have read is the book written by Tom Horn while he was in jail prior to his hanging. Gives some interesting history of the Apache nation and his experience in the Geronimo era. The book, I, Tom Horn, is based on this book.

Elmer Kelton, YESS!!! How did I forget him.

The time it never rained. Everyone should read that book, everyone!!
Punkin Rollers
Sea of Grass
The day the cowboys quit.

All good reads, but "the time it never rained" is a classic.

Thanks for the remineder. I gotta go dig those up and read them again.

Okay, I ate up every word of Charlie Russell's "Trails Plowed Under" during my latest little trip. That was sure a good one and I was sad that the book had to come to an end. The lingo of those days is something to behold and Charlie Russell sure has a way of bringing it to life in story-telling. I'd recommend the book to anyone who appreciates stories of the old range country. Lots of Cowboys and Indians stuff in there.

The one thing that I thought was really funny is that any urbanite would not be able to enjoy the book hardly at all. You do have to know something about cowboys and the west to even understand all of the vernacular. GOOD BOOK!

HP

Latest posts