• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Neighbor Bulls n Patchin fence

Help Support Ranchers.net:

the_jersey_lilly_2000

Reaction score
My daughter and I just got back in from patchin fence where neighbors bull tore it up..he's holed up in the very back of our pasture in a stand of trees. Amazes me how one bull can tear up so much fence. Think we stretched and patched about 6 spots of fence with 2 and 3 wires broke in each place.
Dont know why he's worried about fighten and movin in on our side of the fence..he's in need of a short ride in a long trailer to the sale barn. His ummmm....."who who" is the size of a coke can (or bigger) from stem to stern. Called neighbor to let em know, they didn't seem none too concerned about comin n gittin him. So..guess I'll be keepin an eye on him till they do.

If you can get him in the corral, load him and take hime to the sale barn. Then call the neighbor and let him know where he can pick up his bull.

Either that or get him in the corral with water and post hay.

Either way you won't have to fix anymore fence.

Well I just found him here yesterday evenin, tryin to be a good neighbor, cuz I wouldn't want no one haulin my bull off..sides..it's 26 miles to the nearest salebarn. I'll give em a few days to come git him. Might hafta wait till the weekend..beins how most ranch folks round here also have day jobs.

Invite him over for a RM OYster fry tomorrow night, and tell him he is furnishing the fries unless he shows up sooner and picks his romeo up. :lol:

If this is a rare occurance then be a good neighbor and you will gain a friend - - - if on the other hand they don't care you need to not be run over - - - - I had a neighbor who left a bull here for 4 months ( was too busy to come after him) but when I presented him with the bill for care and feeding and insisted that it be paid before loading it never happened again.
Sometimes if you have the best fences and take good care of your animals something will happen ( car thru a fence, tree down, etc.) and animals will get out - - - but I feel it is up to me to make sure it is a rare occurance indeed.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
My daughter and I just got back in from patchin fence where neighbors bull tore it up..he's holed up in the very back of our pasture in a stand of trees. Amazes me how one bull can tear up so much fence. Think we stretched and patched about 6 spots of fence with 2 and 3 wires broke in each place.
Dont know why he's worried about fighten and movin in on our side of the fence..he's in need of a short ride in a long trailer to the sale barn. His ummmm....."who who" is the size of a coke can (or bigger) from stem to stern. Called neighbor to let em know, they didn't seem none too concerned about comin n gittin him. So..guess I'll be keepin an eye on him till they do.
I would present him with a bill for fence repair ( including labor for you and your daughter), and pasture fees, on a per day basis, and let him know that the longer he takes in retrieving his bull the more it will cost him. If that doesn't get his attention, contact the local Sheriff or Marshal and present the story to them. Make sure that your fence doesn't have weak spots in it which may tempt an unwanted guest! Be friendly - but firm! Things like that can get to be habit-forming! You might inform him that even though he may not be too concerned about comin' and gittin' him, you are VERY eager for him to be OFF of your property. Smile at all times until the time comes for the smile to disappear from your face! If that doesn't work - there is always Small Claims Court! :) :) :)

DOC HARRIS said:
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
I would present him with a bill for fence repair ( including labor for you and your daughter), and pasture fees, on a per day basis, and let him know that the longer he takes in retrieving his bull the more it will cost him. If that doesn't get his attention, contact the local Sheriff or Marshal and present the story to them. Make sure that your fence doesn't have weak spots in it which may tempt an unwanted guest! Be friendly - but firm! Things like that can get to be habit-forming! You might inform him that even though he may not be too concerned about comin' and gittin' him, you are VERY eager for him to be OFF of your property. Smile at all times until the time comes for the smile to disappear from your face! If that doesn't work - there is always Small Claims Court! :) :) :)

Check your laws for the area-- many areas of the country have open range laws, where you have to build the fences to fence out the neighbors cattle.... Altho in some instances there is rules for bulls and studs running at large.....

This is kind of an everyday thing around here.....My kids told me yesterday when they were gathering the east pasture they found we were missing two bulls, but had two of the neighbors bulls with our cows-- will all work out eventually after they get thru tearing down the fences to find the "sweeter girls" that are always on the other side :wink: :lol: ....

I've lost a bull a couple times ( usually those young overtestosteroned yearlings) and never found them until fall when everyone gathered and someone called to say where he was- one was 10 miles and four pastures (fences) away...........

I think every body gave you good advice Lilly,let me add an alternative but I wont say what county.I got tired of neighbors bulls tearing my fences down and me hauling them back home,and them not really giving a damn so when I would load em I would haul their butt in the next county on a creek bottom with water and grass and turn em loose,END OF PROBLEM :wink: .......................GOOD LUCK

They've always been good about comin n gittin a bull. altho this one aint breedin nothin..the last one did....a huge big ole brahman and I ended up loosin 3 heifers the next year..calves were huge. I honestly dont think this fella knows what "fence repair" or maintenance is. (guess eventually I'll git the whole fence rebuilt with patches.) They used that wimpy lil japanese made barbedwire. wire ties are on upside down from the way I put em on....n only bout half twisted on. I dont mind keepin up the fence....but kinda makes ya wonder what kinda fella builds fence like that in the first place. And I'll be "a good neighbor" to a certain point...then I git fed up n let em know bout it. lol

It sounds like the bull is injured. Prehapes from recking fences?
I say give em a few days and expect to see them the day before the next sale day. Help em load him and try to talk about a fence mending party for your common fence.
Good luck and hope he will help you maintain the fence. It sure makes me mad when a neighbor won't help maintaine a common fence. They waite you out and let you cover the cost of his part of the fence.

You know, stuff happens. I've had several neighbors who've had cattle get in with mine and as long as they come get them in a reasonable period of time, I don't have any problems with helping them separate them out. The thing that irritates me is when you call a guy to tell him that his cattle are in your yard or pasture and he doesn't do anything about it. I've had one pair and one big cow hanging around my place for over two months. I phoned the guy several times to ask him to come get them, and he has never shown much interest. Last year, I actually hooked my fencer into the fence on the pasture he was renting to help keep his cattle in. I still ended up having two cows and a few calves that were out and in my hay and in my yard pretty much once or twice a week all summer. On the night of my anniversary last year, my wife and I went out for a nice romantic dinner and came home to find 50 pairs standing in the yard so instead of doing what I had intended, I was out fixing fence until after midnight by which time my better half was already asleep.
The ones that are here this year, one is a fence jumper that showed up at the beginning of May and has been in my pasture but not necessarily in the right paddock. She has a nice calf on her but the neighbor has not made any efforts to pick her up even when I penned her for him. The other cow is a huge Simm-Hereford cow who won't herd and is pretty indecisive about whether she's coming for you or running away, has been here since the end of May. She hangs around the edge of the fence and sneaks into the yard during the night and walks through the garden and newly planted tree rows. Occasionally she comes in during the day, too, which is nasty because my kids are often outside and she is awfully aggressive and has legs like a giraffe and can really move when she gets going. I finally corraled her on the weekend and sent her to the auction barn yesterday. I think I'll just keep the cheque for maintenance costs and aggravation. I guess I'll ship the other cow and calf with my heifers in September. We'll see how much I feel like giving that guy the cheque at that point. :mad: :mad: :mad:

been there n done that too , shipped a cow and a couple calves a year or so ago after them being in my pasture for over six months. Called the fellow numerous times...he's got a lil 25 acre corner that has a very small tank that dries up around july. Cow come over with last years calf then had another one. After all the aggrivation I wanted to keep the check. Hubby said no..put the man's name and address on it and told the salebarn to mail em the check..but we did hold out haulin fees. Sometimes no matter how "nice" a neighbor you are you get stepped on.

Worst part about the whole thing is...I go out daily and check my cattle. Look for things wrong, ones missing??, run the fences to see what shape they are in. And then ya get neighbors that "live in houston" wanna ranch, come down maybe once a month and call themselves "ranchers". :mad: Two of the three bordering ranches are that way.

This guy doesn't live in Houston. His house is about 6 miles away but the land is only 1/2 mile up the road. He's mad at me anyway because after getting really frustrated with repairing fences and chasing his cattle one day, I finally phoned the RCMP to complain about his consistently poor fences and his wandering cows. I've had enough of having dealt with his nonchalant attitude. I don't keep cows that won't stay in the fence specifically because I work off the farm and I don't have the spare time to fool with that kinda stuff. I imagine the next cheque will get sent to him direct from the salebarn but it all depends on how much more time I've gotta spend chasing his cows.

Start sending the vacation ranchers a bill for keeping the escaped cattle. I think they will find that they need to change the operation or pay you to take care of it.
Good luck

SASH said:
You know, stuff happens. I've had several neighbors who've had cattle get in with mine and as long as they come get them in a reasonable period of time, I don't have any problems with helping them separate them out. The thing that irritates me is when you call a guy to tell him that his cattle are in your yard or pasture and he doesn't do anything about it. I've had one pair and one big cow hanging around my place for over two months. I phoned the guy several times to ask him to come get them, and he has never shown much interest. Last year, I actually hooked my fencer into the fence on the pasture he was renting to help keep his cattle in. I still ended up having two cows and a few calves that were out and in my hay and in my yard pretty much once or twice a week all summer. On the night of my anniversary last year, my wife and I went out for a nice romantic dinner and came home to find 50 pairs standing in the yard so instead of doing what I had intended, I was out fixing fence until after midnight by which time my better half was already asleep.
The ones that are here this year, one is a fence jumper that showed up at the beginning of May and has been in my pasture but not necessarily in the right paddock. She has a nice calf on her but the neighbor has not made any efforts to pick her up even when I penned her for him. The other cow is a huge Simm-Hereford cow who won't herd and is pretty indecisive about whether she's coming for you or running away, has been here since the end of May. She hangs around the edge of the fence and sneaks into the yard during the night and walks through the garden and newly planted tree rows. Occasionally she comes in during the day, too, which is nasty because my kids are often outside and she is awfully aggressive and has legs like a giraffe and can really move when she gets going. I finally corraled her on the weekend and sent her to the auction barn yesterday. I think I'll just keep the cheque for maintenance costs and aggravation. I guess I'll ship the other cow and calf with my heifers in September. We'll see how much I feel like giving that guy the cheque at that point. :mad: :mad: :mad:
My friend - you have wa-a-a-a-ay more patience than I have! :roll: Two - or maybe three notifications - NO action - - SAYONARA - Adios - auf Wiedersehen - ciao - do svidanye! - aloha - in OTHER words - Mo o o o o o ove OUT! Bye Bye :D :D

In Indiana when you face the property line you are responcible for the right hand half. This makes a lot of the city transplants mad when they buy 10 or 20 acres and do not have live stock but are responcible for part of the fence. I really piss off the coon hunters around here - - -one even filed a lawsuit against me - - he lost. I have all of my woven wire fences with a strand of hot wire half way up. Dogs will not climb fences after they get half way up and get into the hot wire. Make sure the offending bull is not coming thru a part of the fence you are responcible for!

We used to have the problem with neighbors bulls and our bulls fighting and tearing up fence. Then we put up a GOOD Gallagher power fence between them, and haven't had any trouble since. We turned it on right away so they got a good shock, and we always leave it on, so it doesn't get torn up. Good power fence is only 1/2 the price of barbed wire fence.

Latest posts