• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

neighbors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MRJ: "Soapweed, I'm taking you to task for the "manure on the boots" comment. My bet is your mother, and many other mothers worked tirelessly to train their sons to spruce up their one pair of boots when going out into the community or to town for socialization or business."

You are right, MRJ. A cowboy should shower, shave, and shine up a bit to go to town. But by the same token, a cowboy/rancher type is always up for a good cow deal or horse trade, even if they are wearing their gadding togs. Sometimes overshoes are not along, and a feller has to step into someone's corral even if they are wearing their spiffiest pair of boots. :wink:

I have to agree with all of you. My dad always had a saying when we rode to wear plenty of clothing, because you could always take it off. But you couldn't put it on if you didn't have it along.
When I was still home, we had a neighboor that you could alway tell what kind of a year he was having. If it was a tough year with no profit he wore tennis shoes.(that's no joke) And if he made some money that year he would have on leather laceups. Always amused me.. My theory is I don't give a rats a** what you wear as long as it's safe and you get the job done. And I do have strings on my palm leaf.

For those of you having a hard time keeping a hat on in windy weather or whatever, go to a good hatter and i mean a good one, and have him measure and fit you for a custom made hat.

There is a feller in Belle Fourche who own Weather hat Company and he made me one last winter. Best fitting hat I've ever owned and i've owned a bunch! They cost a little more, but they will pay for themselves in durability and comfort.

Same for boots. Once you've had a good made to order boots, it's pretty hard to go back to off the rack boots.

And i would guess it would be appropriate to say the same for saddles. 'Course on saddles, I might be a little prejudiced! :lol:

Thanks for the compliment Saddletramp. There must be something in that Cherry County water, as you and Soapweed sure have a way with words. The story you told about the young kids in WallyWorld sure amused me. I think the neat thing about it is that the experience was as valuable to you as it was for the kids. Neat.

Jinglebob, speaking of saddles, how much luck do you have reworking a ground seat to take a bump or two out of it a few years after a saddle is made? My saddlemaker passed on just recently in an accident.

real jake

Shouldn't be too much of a problem if it has a good ground seat in it. But you do have to tear the whole seat off unless the bumps are far enough forward so that you can just pull the seat cover back to the cantle. If it has a Chyenne roll it's a lot tougher to put back together than if it's a strait up cantle binding.

Give me a call and we'll visit, but you might want to wait a week or two as it's branding season and I am a lot harder to catch than usual.

katrina said:
I have to agree with all of you. My dad always had a saying when we rode to wear plenty of clothing, because you could always take it off. But you couldn't put it on if you didn't have it along.
When I was still home, we had a neighboor that you could alway tell what kind of a year he was having. If it was a tough year with no profit he wore tennis shoes.(that's no joke) And if he made some money that year he would have on leather laceups. Always amused me.. My theory is I don't give a rats a** what you wear as long as it's safe and you get the job done. And I do have strings on my palm leaf.

Katrina- brings to mind the way I was raised----Dad would spend his last dollar to buy us kids good "leather" boots-- Not only for the safety of riding, but he told stories of when he was little harnessing all the work horses and one would step on his foot-- All they could afford then in the homestead days were hand me down canvas tennis shoes and his feet and toes were badly mangled from the incidents........ said he never wanted his kids to have the same problem....Dad always wore top quality Hyer Boots from the time he could afford them- I wore many of his after he died-had one pair I used for bronc riding that went thru many kids afterward just because of the "feel" they had in the foot- and since then I have bought Wilsons also because of the top quality.............

Dad also always wore a Stetson-- The old trooper or "Gus" style when he was younger- the smaller brims later....Was almost insulted when I bought Americans- which fit my style more...But now as I get older I've went back to the old styles-- most of which are being beautifully reproduced now by MacKay hatters........

Latest posts