• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Neither Pro-Rodeo Or Ranch Rodeo Talked About Much Here

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cody-n-Nancy

Reaction score
I think I've mentioned that we've been to one ranch rodeo, when we lived here in Colorado before. It was held in Colorado Springs. It was enjoyable and I got plenty of digital photos of it, but our interest is more in PRCA rodeos, since I was a part of that. Plenty of PRCA rodeos have been going on, with even more coming this summer, and, of course, the NFR happening in Vegas this December. Most of the contestants we don't know, but do know their dads, who are now retired. And, have really been enjoying watching rodeo action on the Cowboy Channel.

Have any of you participated in a ranch rodeo?

There is a good reason it is rarely mentioned here. This is a ranch forum that deals with daily life on the ranch, not the few times a year ranchers can get away for entertainment. The real ranch rodeos are the ones without an audience and mother nature is the timekeeper. There are no second rides. No one calling your name and giving you an award.

If you read the recent branding thread with photos, you would know that several here have been to real ranch rodeos recently where calves were branded, vaccinated, and some castrated. No one was presented awards for roping or chute operation. No applause from a paying audience. Neighbors came together and helped each other without competition or compensation. That is what this forum is about and the reason I feel at home here.

There is a good reason it is rarely mentioned here. This is a ranch forum that deals with daily life on the ranch, not the few times a year ranchers can get away for entertainment. The real ranch rodeos are the ones without an audience and mother nature is the timekeeper. There are no second rides. No one calling your name and giving you an award.

If you read the recent branding thread with photos, you would know that several here have been to real ranch rodeos recently where calves were branded, vaccinated, and some castrated. No one was presented awards for roping or chute operation. No applause from a paying audience. Neighbors came together and helped each other without competition or compensation. That is what this forum is about and the reason I feel at home here.
Hate to say this, but you have a real problem with the word "rodeo", don't you? I'd guess you don't like ranch rodeo either, put on by the Working Ranch Cowboys Association.

You shouldn't be so tough, or "negative minded" about pro-rodeo and its competitors or even those that are in the Working Ranch Cowboys Association. I'm sure they'd appreciate it if you wouldn't be.

I'm no longer in pro-rodeo and I don't talk negative about either pro-rodeo or ranch rodeo. Just wondering why you do? I know you miss your old days of ranching, just like I miss my old days of rodeo/team roping, but.............

You may not, actually the word should be "don't" like all of the "glitz and glamour" of pro-rodeo, but there are plenty of rodeo fans that do. Just look at how full/packed the Thomas-Mack Center gets for every round of the NFR. Las Vegas loves it! Also, look at how many rodeo fans attend all of the big PRCA rodeos all across America.

And, if this forum was just about ranching, why would the forum accept me into it? Someone who has never ranched before?? Actually, one member told me, when I mentioned "acceptance" into the forum, "we aren't a "clicky" group, so you are more than welcome".

Participated in ranch rodeos when i was younger. Simply don't have the time for it now and i don't bounce like i used to. I think many of us who frequent the site will attend a rodeo, ranch or regular, if we have the time and its not too far away. Its 75-80 miles one way for us to attend one and sometimes that's too far. I watch the BPR and the PRCA on the TV as often as i can.

And there is room for all types of folks here. We may not all agree and we may have vastly different lifestyles, but we all enjoy agriculture and things associated with it. Heck we even put up with Canadians :) If somebody posts something i don't have an interest in, i do not have to reply or comment. That's the beauty of every site i reckon. Mr Cody, you post whatever you'd like. Don't feel bad if we are all too busy to comment or we aren't interested. No offense meant

Well gee, Cody your accusations and assessments of me don't fit my reply at all. You made a simple statement formed as a question, "Neither Pro-Rodeo Or Ranch Rodeo Talked About Much Here" and I replied why it wasn't. You read a lot into my courteous and factual reply that wasn't written or inferred.

Don't get so uptight because others may not share the great love of modern rodeo you have. There are speciality forums for rodeo, modern-day cowboy culture, and horses where you might find a lot more interested that would engage in lengthy conversations and show more appreciation for your rodeo roping accomplishments and knowledge. That doesn't mean you are not wanted here. Many here are still working ranchers and have limited time for forums and they spend their forum time on things of interest. Leanin H explained that very well I thought as have others before.

I was simply trying to point out that you seem to have never read many threads here that would give you an idea of what different members do in their daily lives and what interests them. You might find participating in some of those threads enlightening. The branding thread for instance where photos of female ranch hands doing the roping were posted. Headers and heelers as you like to say. Beautiful and impressive photos of real ranch life today. Personally, I was surprised you didn't make a comment.

[h3][/h3]

And there is room for all types of folks here. We may not all agree and we may have vastly different lifestyles, but we all enjoy agriculture and things associated with it. Heck we even put up with Canadians :) If somebody posts something i don't have an interest in, i do not have to reply or comment. That's the beauty of every site i reckon. Mr Cody, you post whatever you'd like. Don't feel bad if we are all too busy to comment or we aren't interested. No offense meant
A big "thanks" from me!

From what I've seen, on ranch documentaries on tv, the life of ranching isn't easy, especially in winter months. But, then again, it wasn't easy for me, during the winter months, taking care of hogs and crops on my step-parents small farm. But, ranching and farming have a large interest for me and my wife. We love to see the Black Angus grazing in field around where we live. Love going to the livestock auction, when we can. Also, like going in and looking around our local Tractor Supply store. My wife loves looking at the baby chicks and ducklings.

The Black Angus, livestock auction, corn/soybean/hay fields, stores that sell livestock equipment/feed and, of course the rodeo action, are all among the reasons we left northeastern Florida and came back to Colorado. After 10 1/2 years there, we found out just how much we missed Colorado and our neighbor, Wyoming.

Believe me, not all of Colorado/Front Range is big city. Nope, no way, even though there are folks that think it is.

Well gee, Cody your accusations and assessments of me don't fit my reply at all. You made a simple statement formed as a question, "Neither Pro-Rodeo Or Ranch Rodeo Talked About Much Here" and I replied why it wasn't. You read a lot into my courteous and factual reply that wasn't written or inferred.

Don't get so uptight because others may not share the great love of modern rodeo you have. There are speciality forums for rodeo, modern-day cowboy culture, and horses where you might find a lot more interested that would engage in lengthy conversations and show more appreciation for your rodeo roping accomplishments and knowledge. That doesn't mean you are not wanted here. Many here are still working ranchers and have limited time for forums and they spend their forum time on things of interest. Leanin H explained that very well I thought as have others before.

I was simply trying to point out that you seem to have never read many threads here that would give you an idea of what different members do in their daily lives and what interests them. You might find participating in some of those threads enlightening. The branding thread for instance where photos of female ranch hands doing the roping were posted. Headers and heelers as you like to say. Beautiful and impressive photos of real ranch life today. Personally, I was surprised you didn't make a comment.

[h3][/h3]
That's ok, I understand. And, there are no specific forums online dedicated to rodeo. One, that was suppose to be, never happened. Then there is a forum for horse owners, but many on that forum don't like rodeo and I found that out thru a thread someone did.

Actually, wife and I went to a USTRC (United States Team Roping Championship) Finals in Laughlin, NV. back in 2001 and seen women teaming up with other women or men.

And, nowadays, there is young ladies doing Breakaway Roping, at PRCA rodeos, that can handle a rope mighty good.

Heck, I could still saddle/bridle a horse and get on. And, give me a rope and I'll form a loop and swing it. However, the old days of "running after a steer and delivering my loop to the horns or neck catch" are most definitely over.

We both love to see livestock and that's one reason why we go to local livestock auction.

Our daughter team roped with another girl as a Senior in HS and they went on to State HS rodeo then on to college rodeo. Women team roping has been happening for a long time. She graduated HS in 1981. She's won the WY Actra ladies team roping more than once. I'm just using this as an example of how long women have team roped. I really like it that Breakaway Roping has been added to Pro Rodeo events. Since our daughter has competed in breakaway since her freshman year in HS it has been a love of ours. It is easy on livestock, both cattle and horses and enjoyable to watch.

As far as Ranch Rodeos go, I've seen some ranch rodeos where the contestants really sucked. They shouldn't have been allowed in the arena. They were hard on both horses and cattle. Since then, I haven't been too interested. I know there has to be good hands that enter, but those bad ones ruined it for us. Two young men that worked for us when in HS, enter those Ranch Rodeos and have success in doing so. They are good men and able hands.

Cody, rodeo, mostly, to us is a continuation of our ranch life. Ranch life is our love and care of the land, cattle and horses. Rodeo is not THE main thought every day. There are those on here who HAVE friends who are RODEO CHAMPIONS (and my have been so themselves), have had them to their home for dinner and to stay to spend some time with them, but they just don't see a need to mention it. We, for the most part, don't brag about who we are, who we know or what we can do. (Now bragging on our kids, dogs or horses is a whole different matter. 😄 This is a Ranch forum after all.😁 ). Anyway, that's probably why you aren't getting a lot of comments or conversation here. It doesn't mean you aren't welcome. So join in whenever you feel like it. I do understand where Mountain Cowgirl is coming from. She is talking about LIVING ranching, not watching it happen in an arena. Mr. FH and I are retired and we watch a lot of rodeos on the Cowboy Channel and glad we can. It wasn't long ago that you could hardly catch a rodeo on television. I think RFD-TV changed all that. Kudos to them! They brought us the Cowboy Channel!

This place is a far cry from what it once was. I miss those days. Lots of topics, information shared, discussions and differences of opinions even, because there were lots of active members. I'm so glad there are long-time members who still take the time to post here. We are like family, though we may never have met face to face.

Well, I know I've said this before, but we don't mean to sound like we are bragging about the PRCA World Champions we've met, but we were honored to meet them. We like mentioning the names of those that we met.

As for myself, I really enjoyed being announced at a rodeo. Guess I just like the attention it brought to me. Unlike some people, I do enjoy being "in the spotlight".

IOW, like when I was working a full-time job, trying to impress a supervisor/manager and then, only getting a .35 cent raise for the year. I got great a great review, but, still only .35 cents. For the entire year! If our time was very good, the audience would applaud and I loved it. A 35 cent raise isn't much to feel good about, except that I was keeping my job.

Well, I know I've said this before, but we don't mean to sound like we are bragging about the PRCA World Champions we've met, but we were honored to meet them. We like mentioning the names of those that we met.

As for myself, I really enjoyed being announced at a rodeo. Guess I just like the attention it brought to me. Unlike some people, I do enjoy being "in the spotlight".

IOW, like when I was working a full-time job, trying to impress a supervisor/manager and then, only getting a .35 cent raise for the year. I got great a great review, but, still only .35 cents. For the entire year! If our time was very good, the audience would applaud and I loved it. A 35 cent raise isn't much to feel good about, except that I was keeping my job.
On second thought, maybe you are on the wrong forum.

I rode in 100's of rodeos. I have pictures, scars, and belt buckles to proof it. Oh, I also have a saddle I won team roping. I don't recall ever hearing or noticing my name being announced. I was too focused on what I was about to do to pay attention to the announcer. I only recall one time noticing the noise from the crowd. I was an 18 year old kid riding at a college rodeo in Bozeman Montana. I was the first gunner up. Reg Kessler and started telling me that his rodeos started on time. If you were never cussed by Reg Kessler, you have never been truly cussed at. I just looked at him and said have the judges here. He stormed off to cuss at them. The grand entry left out a gate right in front of me. When the last horse's butt cleared the gate I nodded my head. I am sure the announcer hadn't mentioned me yet. The old field house was packed to the rafters. The crowd erupted. The noise startled me so much that I fell off a horse I should have rode every day and twice on Sunday. I learned that the crowd and the announcer mean nothing. Rodeo is about winning. And you had better focus if you plan on winning. I have traveled, eaten with, played cards with, and drank beer with world champions and guys in the hall of fame. Sat beside a hall of fame cowboy at the cow sale regularly up until his passing. I don't list off their names because that is not who I am and not who they are or were. I didn't meet them in an autograph line at Cowboy Christmas. I met them behind the chutes, at their house, my house, and just down the road.

Well, every PRCA rodeo that I've been to, as a contestant years ago, as a fan today and even on the Cowboy Channel, I hear the rodeo announcer say the contestant/contestants names. I've also seen rodeo contestants, that have had a good time or score, take off their hat and throw it in the air with a big smile on their face. The were very glad, perhaps proud, about the time or score they got.

I remember watching The American Rodeo on the Cowboy Channel. Each round winner got to ride around the arena in a "golf" type cart, waving their hat to the crowd who was applauding loudly. And, then there are the winning interviews of each round.

Some winners seem bashful, while other not so much.

As far as PRCA World Champions go, I now wonder "who" have any of you met?

This coming July, we will be attending the PRCA Hall of Fame Induction on a Saturday. In fact, we are staying at the same hotel the inductees, and their families are staying at. At this event, wife and I have met: Charlie Sampson, Dee Pickett, Tee Woolman, Larry Mahan and others. Not an autograph session.........just meeting them, talking with them and getting our picture taken with them. At CFD, we met Walt Garrison.

When the Hall of Fame used to honor the previous December's World Champions, in January, we met a number of World Champions then as well. Charmayne, Trevor, David Motes, Fred Whitfield and others that had become World Champions the month before.

It was all so interesting and totally fun for us. Part of our living room walls is covered by pictures of rodeo champions we have met and got a picture with.

Wife and I aren't "braggers", but we really, really enjoy meeting rodeo champions, either at the Hall of Fame or at Cowboy Christmas. We like talking about them and what they've done.

Now, none of you might brag about anything, but having and running a ranch is really something to brag about. Going back to work on a Monday, after winning a go-around at a local rodeo, made me feel great telling my co-workers about how good my "heeler" and I were to be able to win.

I'm like Webfoot- I never heard the crowd when I was riding. But then again I was too busy trying to stay in the middle to hear anything. Plus when your rodeo career was like mine, nobody was clapping but my girlfriend.

Mr Cody another thing to remember is that most folks here aren't retired and don't always even check in every day, much less post. I do because I'm just pure lazy. But pitch folks a little slack when they are busy and don't comment. In the old days of rancher.net there was hundreds of active posters. It got durn lively around here. But those are the sunny slopes of long ago. Hope more folks will rejoin or become members. Makes it better for sure

I rode in 100's of rodeos. I have pictures, scars, and belt buckles to proof it. Oh, I also have a saddle I won team roping. I don't recall ever hearing or noticing my name being announced. I was too focused on what I was about to do to pay attention to the announcer. I only recall one time noticing the noise from the crowd. I was an 18 year old kid riding at a college rodeo in Bozeman Montana. I was the first gunner up. Reg Kessler and started telling me that his rodeos started on time. If you were never cussed by Reg Kessler, you have never been truly cussed at. I just looked at him and said have the judges here. He stormed off to cuss at them. The grand entry left out a gate right in front of me. When the last horse's butt cleared the gate I nodded my head. I am sure the announcer hadn't mentioned me yet. The old field house was packed to the rafters. The crowd erupted. The noise startled me so much that I fell off a horse I should have rode every day and twice on Sunday. I learned that the crowd and the announcer mean nothing. Rodeo is about winning. And you had better focus if you plan on winning. I have traveled, eaten with, played cards with, and drank beer with world champions and guys in the hall of fame. Sat beside a hall of fame cowboy at the cow sale regularly up until his passing. I don't list off their names because that is not who I am and not who they are or were. I didn't meet them in an autograph line at Cowboy Christmas. I met them behind the chutes, at their house, my house, and just down the road.
I had some cattle at the national western in Denver years ago. My first cousins son was riding broncs that Saturday night. We just saw each other at Christmas but I wanted to be supportive. We led the cattle to the tie outs and I met him outside the arena. He took me downstairs I think it was to the get ready area snd introduced me to his friends. He took me to where I was to sit. As I nestled in after a long day working on the hill , smelling like barn dust and final bloom I realized this section of seats was for groupies lol . I felt kind of gay lol. Maybe I met you there Cody or your wife Nancy. It's been awhile. The talent and stock was good but it wasn't my deal. I'd rather fix fence.

I had some cattle at the national western in Denver years ago. My first cousins son was riding broncs that Saturday night. We just saw each other at Christmas but I wanted to be supportive. We led the cattle to the tie outs and I met him outside the arena. He took me downstairs I think it was to the get ready area snd introduced me to his friends. He took me to where I was to sit. As I nestled in after a long day working on the hill , smelling like barn dust and final bloom I realized this section of seats was for groupies lol . I felt kind of gay lol. Maybe I met you there Cody or your wife Nancy. It's been awhile. The talent and stock was good but it wasn't my deal. I'd rather fix fence.
Well, there are obviously "groupies" at rodeos, just like at another other event. Then there are those that can be past contestants, and them and their family know completely what is going on. I've sit in the bleachers and said to someone sitting next to me "boy, what a great time" when the time was announced for a team roping. The person looked at me and said "would do you mean by great time". I knew that person knew very little-to-nothing about rodeo.

Wife and I are very serious rodeo fans. Actually, I taught her everything about rodeo, from rough stock events to timed events. She'd already been to a couple of rodeos before we met, but after we met, that all changed. Since I was in team roping, by the time bull riding came around, a real crowd favorite, our horses were already loaded up in the trailer and we were headed for home. But, after I stopped competing, I learned more and more about rough stock events.

I'd probably never make it ranching or farming, since my expertise was using a computer/desk work. Got a job, years and years ago, working for a fence company. Didn't even make it 'til noon and told the guy I was with "Take me back to the office, I've had it! Definitely isn't my kind of work!"

One other thing, my income was not based on rodeo. I worked a full-time job during the week in Purchasing and Inventory Control. At the jackpot roping arena I'd sometimes go to, there was a team roper who's full-time job was being a lawyer. The local newspaper, Orange County Register, even done an article on him called, "The Cowboy Lawyer". Showed a picture of him in his law office and another on his horse with a rope at the arena.

Well, like Leanin and Webfoot, I was much too focused to hear the crowd. Unlike Leanin and Webfoot, I did hear the crowd when I regained consciousness and was carried out on a stretcher.

Well, like Leanin and Webfoot, I was much too focused to hear the crowd. Unlike Leanin and Webfoot, I did hear the crowd when I regained consciousness and was carried out on a stretcher.
A bareback bronc riding friend got bucked off. He was just laying out there. So we hustled out to see what was wrong. He just had the wind knocked out of him. He regained his air. We said come on Jim get up. He said wait, the longer I lay here the more the crowd will applaud when I get up. We all turned and walked away leaving him laying there. Jim crawling to his feet says wait you guy, you know how bad this looks for me. We continued walking away from him. Grand Coulee 1975(?). Left off the last name to protect my friend Jim.

During my years with PRCA, starting around 1989, and since those years, I've seen/heard crowds acknowledge, sometimes with a boost from the Announcer, a great ride in rough stock or a great time in timed events. I've seen timed events guys tip their hat or even take it off and wave at the crowd...........in appreciation for the applaud they got. And after, head over to the person who is interviewing each go-around winner.

And, above all, one thing a contestant doesn't want to do is, be heard bad-mouthing anyone in the rodeo committee, announcer or stock contractor. They can be reported to PRCA and have their Permit or Membership card suspended for awhile. I've never heard of that happening, but.

PRCA does have some pretty strict rules/policies in place.

Last edited:
I watched the NFR for the first time in 25 years this winter while I was at my sister in law's after my hip replacement. Judging looked to be about as crooked and biased toward a few competitors especially in the bareback riding as ever.
Our local Stampede which I have been arena manager for years had some poor, biased judging several years ago. I was prepared with a pair of coke bottle toy glasses I had bought at the dollar store. The first indication of favouritism and I rode over to both judges and asked who needed the glasses. It brought the house down and the judging was very fair for the rest of the Stampede

Latest posts