• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Net wrap

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Reaction score
For those that use net wrap. What do you prefer cover edge or just edge to edge wrap and why. Does one haul better than the other two wide and two high?

cover edge makes a nicer looking bale but is more costly and somewhat harder to remove,

When I started using net, I used cover edge for the first few yrs. but now have gone to edge to edge.

Bought a new 568 baler last year baled everything With the coverage edge. Like how the bales look compared to the other net. But is defentaly harder to get off the bales when flipped on end. Not sure if the price for the coverage edge is worth it.

Have you seen the new net they are coming out with, supposed to last 5 years longer in direct sun light and with stand corn stalk bales better. The big down fall is you only get 70 bales out of it compared to 150 or so witht he other.

Wrap the ends if you are haulin it, don't wrap em if you are using it, That net wrap if sure fast to bale but you really need to keep old netting picked up that stuff is a mess.
Good luck

I'm with you Jody for feeding. But I've sold around 1200 bales this winter and the sisal suck for loading semis here as it mostly rotted off by now in our climate.I'll use plastic twine next year on any selling hay.

tenbach79 said:
Bought a new 568 baler last year baled everything With the coverage edge. Like how the bales look compared to the other net. But is defentaly harder to get off the bales when flipped on end. Not sure if the price for the coverage edge is worth it.

Have you seen the new net they are coming out with, supposed to last 5 years longer in direct sun light and with stand corn stalk bales better. The big down fall is you only get 70 bales out of it compared to 150 or so witht he other.

Talked to a rep at the National Farm Machinery Show and he told us only 35 bales per roll. I like the idea but changing a roll more than once an hour when baling doesn't sound appealing.

We use over the edge by net tex I believe, doesn't really matter if it's over the edge or not it's all a pain to get off when Ice covered. We do a lot of custom work and people prefer a nice clean look.

Have a Vermeer 605 SM and used to use over the edge but switched to edge to edge and like it alot better because there are a lot less strips of net that fray off the sides and end up on the rollers and in the bearings

What was that new net called? I can't remember where I seen the info on it. I liked the idea of using it if your baling wheat straw or corn stalk bales that might sit a lot longer than alfalfa bales or feed bales. But changing rolls that many times would be a pain.

3 M L & C said:
Don't think twine will hold a milo bale together.

Saw some yesterday that had had a 50 mile haul & tied with plastic twine. They were OK.

I hire all my hay baled anymore, & I insist on the edge to edge netwrap. I like it and it's a lot easier to remove than the old plastic twine.

With hay being the valuable commodity it is now, if it's worth baling, it's worth putting the netwrap on. IMHO, sisal is an exercise in futility. One never know when plans for hay might change and you'll sell the hay rather than feed it. Kinda hard to switch from twine to netwrap after it's baled....

loomixguy said:
3 M L & C said:
Don't think twine will hold a milo bale together.

Saw some yesterday that had had a 50 mile haul & tied with plastic twine. They were OK.

I hire all my hay baled anymore, & I insist on the edge to edge netwrap. I like it and it's a lot easier to remove than the old plastic twine.

With hay being the valuable commodity it is now, if it's worth baling, it's worth putting the netwrap on. IMHO, sisal is an exercise in futility. One never know when plans for hay might change and you'll sell the hay rather than feed it. Kinda hard to switch from twine to netwrap after it's baled....
been feeding 2 year old sisle bales all winter top bales I don't have to cut ,then I not chashing plastic for ever either

Latest posts