• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Netwrap

Help Support Ranchers.net:

W.T said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I just bought a new Vermeer bale. Twine is a $2,700 dealer installed option. :?

I got the twine option as I have never used wrap so wasn't sure if I wanted to not have the twine. Guess we will see.

I have tub ground bought net wrapped bales, after the first time I took the net off before grinding. Very seldom found twine that came through the tub grinder.

Ha Ha just bought a new Vermeer and the Net wrap was a $2700.00 option wanna trade. :lol: :lol:

What model?

I got a 605N

Big Muddy rancher said:
W.T said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I just bought a new Vermeer bale. Twine is a $2,700 dealer installed option. :?

I got the twine option as I have never used wrap so wasn't sure if I wanted to not have the twine. Guess we will see.

I have tub ground bought net wrapped bales, after the first time I took the net off before grinding. Very seldom found twine that came through the tub grinder.

Ha Ha just bought a new Vermeer and the Net wrap was a $2700.00 option wanna trade. :lol: :lol:

What model?

665m Rancher

I got a 605N

Hayguy said:
just another little kink in this debate is the fact that it is illegal to burn agricultural plastic's in Canada...just saying

Is that a vote from the side that grinds it up and feeds it? :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
I got a 605N

I'm looking at trying a Vermeer. Out of curiosity, why the N as opposed to the M? Near as I can figure on Vermeer's page the N is a "Cornstalk Special". Is there a reason to have the N rather than the M?

Silver said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I got a 605N

I'm looking at trying a Vermeer. Out of curiosity, why the N as opposed to the M? Near as I can figure on Vermeer's page the N is a "Cornstalk Special". Is there a reason to have the N rather than the M?

As I understand it the Super M 605 is no longer built and it is replaced with the 605N. So a Super M is a 2014 and the N is a 2015. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
I got a 605N

As I understand it the Super M 605 is no longer built and it is replaced with the 605N. So a Super M is a 2014 and the N is a 2015. :?

I wonder what changed so dramatically that the minimum required horsepower went from 80hp with the Super M to 150hp with the N? Sounds hard on fuel.... I guess I better call the salesman before I work myself into a lather lol

New 600N series round balers can be used for hay, forage and cornstalk bailing.

Vermeer Corporation has introduced a new series of round balers that includes two models designed for high-capacity hay and forage production, and an additional two models specially designed for the rigors of cornstalk baling. The 604/605N balers and 604/605N Cornstalk Special balers deliver the strength, productivity and operating convenience of classic Vermeer Super M technology – but with added capability and enhanced performance.

"The first thing you notice about the new 600N series balers is the sleek, modern design that evokes a sense of force and motion," said Phil Chrisman, Product Manager at Vermeer. "Upon closer inspection, you will recognize many well-designed, heavy-duty components that made Super M balers so popular, as well as several new features that contribute to the high performance and durability of this new line of balers."

600N series balers are equipped with 5-bar pickups, a Direct Crop Feed system that enables the forage crop to be fed directly to the bottom drum and bale-starting chamber, the patented dual-stage belt tightening system that reduces the chamber size by 50 percent and allows the hay to turn quicker. An optional netwrap system is also available. These are all features carried over from the Super M series.

New features include an optional pickup clutch that automatically stops the pickup when desired bale size is reached, lessening inadvertent overfill of the bale chamber and helping to protect the rollers, bearings and belts. Tool-less gauge wheel adjustments make it easy to adjust pickup height. The new E-Link Pro display coupled with optional scale kit and moisture sensors provides convenient access to bale weight and moisture readings. In addition, an optional auto-lube greasing system provides automatic lubrication to critical bearings at user-defined intervals.

"These new features are intended to offer a productivity advantage and enhance operator convenience, and we're confident operators will appreciate the simplicity and usability of these additions," said Chrisman. "Whether you intend to produce large 6-foot diameter hay bales or cornstalk bales, 600N series balers offer the strength, durability and performance needed to get the job done."

Source: Vermeer

Next they are coming up with a no stop baler

Silver said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

I wonder what changed so dramatically that the minimum required horsepower went from 80hp with the Super M to 150hp with the N? Sounds hard on fuel.... I guess I better call the salesman before I work myself into a lather lol

The brochure I have still list the 605N as 80hp and the Cornstalk special as 150hp.

Don't suppose you have many corn stalks to bale up there but maybe it could roll up some poplar trees. :D :D

Here's a link to the same article but published in BEEF magazine. They have some pictures and a little better explanation.
http://beefmagazine.com/beef-cattle-feed/why-you-must-remove-net-wrap-round-bales-feeding-cattle?page=1

Look at that wad of net wrap pulled from a rumen. No wonder the calf died :shock:

gcreekrch said:
Hayguy said:
just another little kink in this debate is the fact that it is illegal to burn agricultural plastic's in Canada...just saying

Is that a vote from the side that grinds it up and feeds it? :lol:

:lol: no quite the opposite, i hate twine, the only thing worse than iced in froze down twine tied bales is iced in froze down net crap bales. i can cut off 25 square bales faster than i can get the twine off a round bale. nothing should eat plastic whether it go's through or not

I am curious what the price of the continuous baler will be? Bmr why did you choose a Vermeer baler? I don't know anything about them and was wondering if there are features that set them apart for you. As far as the corn stalk baler needing more power. I would bet they just say 150 horse cause corn stalks take more power to bale them up than anything else. You don't really role up corn stalks its kind of just a big wad. We baled up a few acres of corn stalks this fall and with my 105 horse tractor can bale feed at 1700 psi as fast as could stand to ride it 7-8 mph. Corn stalks I could only get 4.4 mph at same pressure.

3 M L & C said:
I am curious what the price of the continuous baler will be? Bmr why did you choose a Vermeer baler? I don't know anything about them and was wondering if there are features that set them apart for you. As far as the corn stalk baler needing more power. I would bet they just say 150 horse cause corn stalks take more power to bale them up than anything else. You don't really role up corn stalks its kind of just a big wad. We baled up a few acres of corn stalks this fall and with my 105 horse tractor can bale feed at 1700 psi as fast as could stand to ride it 7-8 mph. Corn stalks I could only get 4.4 mph at same pressure.

I have heard good reports on the Vermeer, my salesman sells both NH and Vermeer and likes the Vermeer better. A mechanic at the dealership a couple of years ago was telling me the Vermeer baled circles around the NH at their demo days. I was pretty satisfied with my 664 but my neighbor had nothing but trouble with his 780. The Vermeer was the cheapest of the three including a JD.

I see both sides of this. Know of a guy who bought a new bull and paid good money for him. His boy was a vet, so they posted him. Died because of net in his gut. With that said, the vast, vast majority of hay in my general area goes through a bale processor. Me, my neighbors, about everybody I know leaves it on. The twine almost always is on the flails. Very rarely does it not get wrapped up on the rotar/flails. Net, well that is a little different. I think it varries by brand. I bought some hay once and had chunks of net on the ground from the processor 5' long. Last year I bought some and didn't hardly have any on the ground. I use solar degradable twine. Guess I feel ya net may be faster. If I have to get off in a blizzard, pull the froze stuff off, then shove it in the cab.....sitting for 15 seconds to put on twine really isn't all that bad!

As far as tub grinders, I don't think anybody pulls twine or net off. As mentioned above, if your grinding 40-50+ bales an hour, you don't have the time. Especially if the grinder man calls about 4 hours ahead of time to let ya know he is comming to grind!

Soapweed said:
We use net wrap, and really enjoy the speed of baling. The Kosmo Kid thinks that one baler using net wrap can bale nearly as much hay in a day as two balers using twine tie. We feed with Hydra-beds, and go to great efforts to gather all the net wrap before unrolling the bale. Some of the hay that I buy is tied with solar degradable twine. Under the frozen conditions of the past month, especially since it thawed some and then froze some more, the twine is very much harder to remove from the bales than the net wrap. I have been carrying along big garbage bags to put the net wrap and twine into. About once or twice each day, I drive by an old house foundation. The net wrap and twine are dumped into this old basement, and periodically it gets burned. The garbage bags get used for quite a while before they eventually get tossed away also.

Soapweed
when the twine/wrap is frozen, do you drop the bale and let it turn a few times before trying to cut twine/wrap?

I am finding out this winter what frozen netwrap is about. Although only in a small way since it's only some bedding bales that I have outside.

Almost all of our hay is either wrapped in tubes or under a roof.

But the bedding is outside and getting that stuff off is just a bear. I can spend 3 or 4 minutes getting it off of one frozen bale. I have found that dumping the bale on the ground a few times is helpful.

But I'm glad I don't have to do bedding more than a couple of times a week.

Latest posts