• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Never Boring!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Went out this A'M and my calving cows seemed a bit more alert than usual-an hour later found out why-a gravel truck driver told me he saw a buffalo running our fence. I went and found him-he got in our big swamp pasture so I guess he's ours till he decides to leave. I had the crosshairs on him_I'm wondering if I'm gong to regret taking a Leupold snapshot of him lol. He's in his ancestral grounds anyway lots of buff skulls out there.

There was a white buffalo born near here a few days ago. Supposed to be 'big medicine', I guess. I think it is supposed to be a sign of a returning indian princess or something. Coming to purify the world and such. Sure looks neat though.

Well I gave my buffalo buddy a couple days to wander home-hadn't seen him till tonight when he was back in my cows. He started running them hard and is now four quarters in the back of my neighbors truck. I buffaloed bill'd him with one shot from my .270 lol.

Silver said:
There was a white buffalo born near here a few days ago. Supposed to be 'big medicine', I guess. I think it is supposed to be a sign of a returning indian princess or something. Coming to purify the world and such. Sure looks neat though.
Are you sure he wasn't half "Sacred Charolais"?

Couldn't get those newspaper pictures to come up on the screen.
Rats! Don't know why some work and some don't.
That must be something to see a white buffalo. Spooky? Did he have pink eyes or were you too far away, hiding? :)

Northern Rancher said:
Well I gave my buffalo buddy a couple days to wander home-hadn't seen him till tonight when he was back in my cows. He started running them hard and is now four quarters in the back of my neighbors truck. I buffaloed bill'd him with one shot from my .270 lol.

Where did the buffalo come from? You did exactly what we would have done a little "lead poisoning". :wink:

nr said:
Couldn't get those newspaper pictures to come up on the screen.
Rats! Don't know why some work and some don't.
That must be something to see a white buffalo. Spooky? Did he have pink eyes or were you too far away, hiding? :)

No pink eyes. I don't know about you, but near where I live wild buffalo are pretty common place. I only have to go about an hour from here to see all of them I'd ever want to see. I only worry they will be here soon. If that happens, there will be lead poisoning issues. Elk are bad enough.

The only sign of buffalo around here are buffburgers.

When I was home we had a neighbors buffalo bull get in with some of our cows and the only way they could handle him was shooting him. He did breed one of our cows. We kept the hiefier calf. She was red with brindle stripping and a white face. She had a head and front end like a buffalo, but not the hair. She didn't calf till she was three. She would leave the cows and go and calf. Then bring the calf back to the cows. Dad rode for three days looking for her one year. Finally found her calf on one side of the fence and she on another three pastures from the cows. We only got her worked once, that was when she was a calf. Get her in a close pen and she would clear the fence in a single bound. To sort her to work calves in the fall, she would stand back and watch the cows sort then make a run for it. Didn't want to be in her way or she would freighttrain you. Once she was out of the pen she would find her calf in the pen and follow it all the way to the chute. She wasn't mean just in the way, you just worked around her. That was the closest we ever could get to her. kept her for years. I'm sure she died there.

Northern Rancher said:
Went out this A'M and my calving cows seemed a bit more alert than usual-an hour later found out why-a gravel truck driver told me he saw a buffalo running our fence. I went and found him-he got in our big swamp pasture so I guess he's ours till he decides to leave. I had the crosshairs on him_I'm wondering if I'm gong to regret taking a Leupold snapshot of him lol. He's in his ancestral grounds anyway lots of buff skulls out there.
What are the laws in Canada regarding Buffalo? Does the fact that he is "in his ancestral grounds" :???: take precedence over your ownership of your property? Can you say "Beefalo?" :lol:

Northern Rancher said:
Ah Hah! You CAN say "Beefalo"!

Latest posts