• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Never Thought I'd find One

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
I think I saw the best feet on an Angus bull I've ever seen-he's a black red gene carrier so taboo to some people but if you like sound cattle he looks like he'll make them. His sire is six and has real good feet but this son of his is as good a footed bull as I've ever seen.

IMG_0711.jpg

The fronts of TK Tusgapride 142T lame name-good bull.

They are good looking bulls NR...And that is a lousy name... He must be registered just in Canada -eh-- as I couldn't get anything to come up thru the AAA for a pedigree...
61P looks like a meaty old bull....

Northern Rancher said:
IMG_0696.jpg

This is 61P

I think I like the old bull better than the younger one.
I just got rid of a black bull this evening Sale barn bound. I will stick with my Herfs. By the way I did get 10 staws of your LAD bull They are supposed to be here tuesday. Who do I talk to about certs to register?

Your Genex rep should be able to fix you up as far as certificates go-i didn't want to charge anything for them and as soon as I get control of the distribution I'll do away with them. Thank you for giving Lad a try-he's a pretty solid Hereford bull.

Northern, I do not question your attention to detail and savvy cattleman's approach to choosing a bull to hang your hat on. However, I must admit that I know only a few people that apply as much scrutiny to feet as you do. Yes, I do know a few additional young men that do so, and they are maybe 30 years old. That last part is sort of unique. However, I've found few cattlemen in all my travels that worry about foot structure to any high degree. (not saying they are smart or right in their thinking) So I have to then ask, "How many people are having problems with feet?" Recognizing that a cow will not stay in the herd if she cannot travel, I find more folks culling cows for udder reasons. :wink: Help me understand the depth and importance of foot structure a bit more. To me, decent feet are feet enough to do the job. Long and curled toes will clearly make for a lame cow. Beyond that, I don't see the intense scrutiny in the industry that perhaps more astute cattlemen might apply. I see many cows that have bigger problems as I travel the highs and lows of the midwestern and western U.S.

My father likes cows that are similar to what you tend to like, and those of Pure Country's preference. In the end, they must bring the highest return to management as possible, and this is something my father is keenly aware of, regardless of market forces. I just can't find a buyer for his calves, because once they leave the ranch they are not going to ring the bell...

HP

A cow can get by with a less than perfect udder alot longer than she can with poor feet. At Fraser's those pictures don't do justice to how rough that country is-a sore footed cow simply can't travel and graze enough to maintain herself. On my place we have a lot of soft meadow type pasture -an animal whose weak in the pasterns goes south pretty quick. In a natural service deal you can probably be a bit less stringent on the selection. As far as marketing a bull through A'I across North America he better be as sound as they make him. I rarely recommended a bull to customers that I hadn't actually watched move out in person or I had someone I trusted check out. I didn't want to have to look a customer in the face when he has otherwise productive young cows show up with poor feet. Trust me some of the most highly used bulls in use through A'I wouldn't last a breeding season in a natural situation. Well we may not ever achieve perfection I see no problem in searching for it-raising a herd of good cows is a life's work.It doesn't cost any more to find a good footed bull than an overhyped unsound son of a gun.

In regards to cattle not 'ringing the bell' not sure what you mean-I've never seen feeder cattle discounted for being functionally sound.

I had the same thought on the feet issue never really had to worry about it here. The only cattle I've had with bad feet were boughten heifers and they will be 10 this spring. Never had to cull any for it and their calves and replacements seem to not have any problems. I think these heifers problem was more of a feed issue not a feet issue.

Around here calveing ease and weaning weights is what sells bulls to 90% of the buyers.Udders and feet are normally a non issue anything with that poor of udder and feet is culled long before they are produceing sale cattle.

With the age of the producers in agriculture temperment is the major issue.Udders and mothering a very close 2nd. They want a mild mannered cow that the calf can and will get up and suck with no labor from the human factor..

Their must be alot of shady characters in Canada because there are 20 seedstock producers in a 100 mile radius of here that I would take their word on their cattle.

Speaking of bad feet and bad udders, the worst wreck I ever had was with the Angus bull Venture Forward, or Venture Backward as I like to call him. Those cattle looked like black Holsteins. Too much milk, poor structure, bad feet, you name it he provided it to the females he sired. Didn't take long to cull all of them out of the herd but what a waste of time and money using him was. If you see him in the pedigree of any bull you are considering turn and run would be my advise.

A longtime friend has recently written his autobiography which I am enjoying reading at the present time. The book is entitled AGAINST THE CURRENT, by Orville Beyea, published in 2009 by Pine Hill Press, 4000 West 57th Street, Sioux Falls, SD 57106. Orville is a man of integrity and a lifelong Hereford breeder.

It is interesting to learn of some of the underhanded shenanigans that went on it the world of show cattle. Nurse cows were a standard of the industry at one time, and this extra milk was given to some bulls well past a year of age. Surgical nips and tucks were common practice, and red dye was often used when the Herefords had white in the wrong places. Here is a quotation from the book, "the cattle had a lot of ties in their back and tail heads then, too. (A tie is where the hide is held down by a small ligament causing a large dimple.) Smooth topped cattle were preferred."

Here is another: "One breeder had a few bulls with a very dark spot right in the middle of their backs. Novocaine had been injected in the tie area to deaden it in preparation to cutting their ties. In due time, when the new hair came in, the novacaine caused it to come in white. No one wants to sell good bulls with white spots on their backs, so the best thing to do seemed to be to use some red hair dye from the beauty parlor. It was a good idea but evidently too much dye was applied and left on too long."

And one more: "Another incident that I remember killed a bull. A hose was stuck down a bull's throat to fill him up before entering the show ring. By the time the crew figured out the hose had been put in the bull's windpipe, it had already filled his lungs with water. Dead bulls don't show well."

Anyway, it is a fun book to read. Orville pulled himself up by his bootstraps with hard work and good sense, and the stories of his life are very intriguing.

I had a Venture Forward son out of a well bred cow. I thought he was among the easiest doin bulls I ever owned, and left the type of cows I'm looking for.
I always wondered why the VF bull wasn't more popular. I guess it must have been a good cow.
Although he got heavy , he never had any foot problems. He had an exceptionally large foot and stood on them very correct.

Latest posts