• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Addition

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
We have purchased a neighboring ranch to add to our own, it will nearly double our carrying capacity and negate the need to share crop hay we have previously been putting up. There is a lot of work in front of us as the fences are pretty tired but this property in our opinion is the best hay ranch in this area and we got it quite reasonable. I owe, I owe.

Pasture on the way in to the buildings. Looking east. It has been a dry year.
P7141014.jpg

P7141015.jpg

P7141016.jpg

P7141017.jpg

Looking back west.
P7141023.jpg

The buildings. They are older but very serviceable. Corral system is another matter.
P7231078.jpg

Hayland. I made a deal with the vendor to irrigate it myself or it wouldn't have looked near this good.
P7231059.jpg

P7231058.jpg

P7231057.jpg

P7231056.jpg

P7231055.jpg

P7231054.jpg

P7231053.jpg

P7231052.jpg

P7231050.jpg

The poorest field, it had not been irrigated in four years, took two weeks for a ditch full of water to make it a half mile across the field.
P7231051.jpg

BRG said:
Congrats! hay looks good. What kind of grass is that in your fields?

The tame grass is Meadow Foxtail. The balance is a wild mix of sedge, bluejoint and redtop. A good stand of Meadow Foxtail will triple production over wild hay.

Couldn't be happier for ya pal! Hope the new place brings ya lots of good times and the cows all have twins! :wink: Since Justin decided not to buy the Bell I won't be managing it! If ya need a sidekick just holler! :D :wink:

Congratulations and good luck! You need to get that "Pet Rock" craze rejuvinated with this current hatching of city people.

Congratulations on your new purchase, gcreekrch. Looks like wonderful cattle country and a great addition to your ranch. Don't worry about the corral fences. Temporary portable panels can make a real nice usable permanent corral. :wink:

Well to an easterner who is accustomed to looking at fields that range from 10 to 100 acres, it looks like you have oceans of grass!! Best wishes on your enterprise.

Hey, Gcreek, I just said to my wife "I wanna go see where Guchion(sp) Creek is . . ."

That looks like a great addition to your operation - got to be easier than hauling hay over the mountains! Not being nosy but out of curiosity what would be a ballpark figure for bare irrigated hay land in your area if you were buying only that - no pasture/bush/buildings etc? I imagine it must be quite valuable in an area like yours.

Congrats on your acquisition............looks like a great spot..........and unless yall bring eared cattle in from the south, those corrals aught to make it for a good long time :wink:

Good for you gcreek. Good when a plan comes together. Nice that you got it done before the banks run out of money. :wink:

First off, thanks to everyone for your kind words of encouragement. We tried to buy this ranch from the old couple that sold it 4 years ago. An investment banker that was buying up several ranches in the country offered them more money. As the investment banking business has not been too heathy for the last few months we got it for less than we offered the old couple with a 100 cow permit added to it. :wink:

BMR- H was told that there was a tractor with his name on it. I just don't think I would ask Mrs H to live in the trailer on the place quite yet.

Soap- With all this pine and short term Native labour in our area we can build new yards fairly cheap and a lot stouter than portable panels. :wink:
Not that we don't already have a bunch. :D

Triangle Bar- That ground grows a lot of hay, we put it up for a previous owner in 2005. We made 1300 tons and didn't quite get it all as we had our own commitments to do also. It is also the roughest ground we have ever covered. (and that's saying something :roll: ) I would guess it takes 8-10 acres of grass to look after a cow for a year.

Burnt- You come for a visit anytime. Just bring your work clothes in case. :D

Grassfarmer- This land is flood irrigated, improved swampland. In it's raw form it can be purchased from the govt. for around $150.00 per acre. It sells for around $7-900 improved. Alfalfa land is a different story, it can bring up to $4-5000.

Hooks- I thing those Braymers would stiffen up in the cold and be unable to jump. :D

JB- It is all flood irrigated hayland.

can you say Land Baron?! I'm kidding of course! it looks really nice, hope everything goes great with your new purchase!

Congrats on the purchase! Do you care to share how many acres the new place is? You meadow foxtail looks alot like our timothy here in the northeast US.

Latest posts