• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
Got a new AN bull today. An In Focus out of an Expedition Cow.
385014_10150417210664624_661889623_8587626_1376211108_n.jpg

EPD
CE 15
BW -2
WW 52
YW 91
Milk 19
MCE 13
CWT 22
REA .43
Fat .033
Marb .42

Comment if you want, it's too late as I already own him :lol:

Well I like him so if you want out and can reconfigure with red pigmentation I would be interested. 8)

per said:
Well I like him so if you want out and can reconfigure with red pigmentation I would be interested. 8)

Give me a couple of generations and I can probably put something together for you...Of course I need a deposit.

I like the looks of the bull and it's hard to tell from his picture but was he raised with a creep feeder? He seems to have quite a bit of condition for this time of year.
I guess he could have been almost 3 months now.

Looks like he'll burn any extra condition off and still be a good bull. He's sure not greasy fat but has a bit of a belly. No big deal to me. Good EPDs and good looking calf. Not too over the top on growth and milk, but possibly right where he needs to be for range environments. Thanks for sharing the pic.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I like the looks of the bull and it's hard to tell from his picture but was he raised with a creep feeder? He seems to have quite a bit of condition for this time of year.
I guess he could have been almost 3 months now.
He was raised ranchy but I know they trim them up and feed them a bit for the sale. I am sure he will slim down prior to the end of July.
One thing that attracted us to him was his high Fat # (normally considered a bad thing). We always select for that on our maternal bulls and we find it really helps with fleshing ability and the opportunity for daughters to "live on backfat" at certain times of the year. If that fat level was on a terminal bull I wouldn't touch him.

I like to find a bull with guts, nuts and butt. :D Remember to snap his picture again towards the end of breeding season so we can look him over again, but i think he's a nice bull. Numbers look pretty good too, atleast to how i like em'. :D

Faster horses said:
Soapweed said:
Nice bull, RSL. I like him for his looks and his color. :wink:

I agree with Soapweed.........and I like the In Focus in his pedigree.
I don't know anything about 'Expidition', so what is that pedigree?

The expedition bull is Stevenson Expedition out of an EXT son (sorry NR) and Traveller 1148 on the top side, and beefland intermediate (Hoff genetics) and Scotch cap on the dam side.
His US Reg # is 13514608

i like him, lots of rib and he definately has some bred in calving ease. to me his numbers are about where they need to be plenty of growth shoould sire some terrific replacement females. what is his frame sore? I like a 4.8 to a5.5

RSL said:
Faster horses said:
Soapweed said:
Nice bull, RSL. I like him for his looks and his color. :wink:

The expedition bull is Stevenson Expedition out of an EXT son (sorry NR) and Traveller 1148 on the top side, and beefland intermediate (Hoff genetics) and Scotch cap on the dam side.
His US Reg # is 13514608

Interesting that they crossed some rather extreme cattle with some
rather moderate cattle. Remember, you get one like the sire, one like
the dam, and one in the middle. Good luck with him!

Faster horses said:
RSL said:
Faster horses said:

His US Reg # is 13514608

FH - I am not really concerned as he is far enough down the pedigree from these, that his parents profile matches fairly well. The exercise you do balancing pedigrees is one I do on every bull I am interested in as well. The closer up cattle in the pedigree are pretty consistent.

RSL said:
Faster horses said:
RSL said:
His US Reg # is 13514608

FH - I am not really concerned as he is far enough down the pedigree from these, that his parents profile matches fairly well. The exercise you do balancing pedigrees is one I do on every bull I am interested in as well. The closer up cattle in the pedigree are pretty consistent.

That works for me. I do like the bull. As I said, "good luck with him",
and I sincerely mean that. I'm betting he'll give you some nice calves.

Faster horses said:
RSL said:
Faster horses said:

That works for me. I do like the bull. As I said, "good luck with him",
and I sincerely mean that. I'm betting he'll give you some nice calves.
I like the way you think about the process. We actually eliminated a ton of bulls with good #s because of the fact their pedigree was inconsistent in the short generations. I would like to come and see your cows in person one day. :D

Latest posts