• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New computer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Looking at getting a lap top. I found a couple that I think the price is right on. Both Dells. One has windows 7 the other windows 8. What is the difference, which is better, and why? Price is only 25 dollars apart.

The questions are how fast of processor?
How much Ram (memory)
How big/storage space on hard disk?
What size of screen?

The larger the better for the above questions but also adds to overall cost.

What are you plannning to use the computer for?

If you are familiar with computers you will find that Windows 7 is very similar previous operating systems while Windows 8 is totally different. We have one of each and I far prefer Windows 7.

The new computer my wife got me last ( 13 months ago ) Christmas has windows 8 and I thought I would get used to it - - - stick with 7 I still hate windows 8

PATB said:
The questions are how fast of processor?
How much Ram (memory)
How big/storage space on hard disk?
What size of screen?

The larger the better for the above questions but also adds to overall cost.

What are you plannning to use the computer for?

Mainly use it for the internet, although I do some picture editing, and such. Nothing to speak of other then that. Lisa has hers for all the accounting. My desk top has Vista on it, and I can get along with that. Mainly want something so I can sit in my recliner and visit on Ranchers :oops: Both the laptops I was looking at have a 17" monitor, and the speeds are basically the same. Guess I should say that they are both used, too.

I'm typing on a new Dell laptop that had windows 8. I installed 8.1 around 3 in the morning holding a soon to be new momma goats hand... :D (still hasn't gone into labor yet but is very close and hates it when I leave...it's kinda funny really. She seems scared and is very calm only when I'm right by her telling what is going on and what is about to happen... :D )

Anyway...

I'm liking windows 8.1 WAY better for my picture dealings than windows 8. I like the older windows a lot better than this 8 stuff so far....like windows xp and 7. The touch pad pop-ups are frustrating to me with these 8 programs, so I went in and disabled the swipe gestures and it seems to be better.

I think you can install and run older programs???

If I can get on ranchers here and mess pics like you want to, then you'll be able to no problem... :D I can't really say what to definitely do though.... :D

If you know windows 7 good stay with it. I bought my wife a new computer for Christmas a year ago. It has windows 8. And everybody hates it from my wife to the three year old. The three year old could get on to "star fall" by herself on the old one. She gets mad and yells at the new one if she pushes a wrong button and closes it.

Big Muddy rancher said:
If a 3 year old can't run it there is no hope for WP. :lol: :lol:

Man you have that right!!!!!!!!!!!!! :???: :???: :???:

If you can, stay with 7. I have Windows 8 and I do not like it. Now I do have a windows 8 phone, and I like it a lot, way better than my Droid. But for a computer, 7 is way better.

I haven't heard of anyone who likes Windows 8. I looked it up for my neighbor who is getting her first computer, to see if you could buy it with Windows 8 and then install 7...said you can but it's a major pain. I got her one with Windows 7.

Wife bought a used Dell laptop of of ebay 2 year's ago, its been great absolutly no problem's. If memory serves me right I think she gave $225 for it. I would stick with window's 7.

One has windows 7 the other windows 8.

I have been using windows eight for a few months now.. and still I dislike it..

basically windows seven is pretty much like the rest of the windows formats.. if you like them you can easily adjust to an upgrade..

basically eight is like the new smart phones format.. since i don't really like the smart phones format.. and the apps crap.. I guess it is why I don't like 8..

it doesn't even have solitaire.. well it does but you have to "buy" it.. or buy it for free with ads..

I had thought I had downloaded some of the programs such as solitaire but a loss of internet proved me wrong..

mu biggest pet peeve was shutting it down. that alone was enough to turn me off.. :shock:

I bought a copy of 7 and am switching back..

so the real choice is deciding which you like better.. the old familiar 7 style or the new 8 format.. I would say have someone show you 8 first to see if you can get the hang of it ..

I think you can install and run older programs???

I haven't had any luck installing any of my old programs.. I have microsoft professional and it would not load.. MS offered a discounted "upgrade" for $98. right now I have my old computer set up to run all my old programs.

even my old printer will not work with it.. other then printing it doesn't seem to be able to speak to the windows 8.. the printer is about 6 months old and works fine with all of our other computers.

And I thought I was the only one who is totally disgusted with Microsoft!
Bought a new laptop a few months ago,Micro 8.0 and hated it so much, I bought 7.0 to replace it--Only to find out that 125 dollars was down the drain also. Yep, you're right, some newer printers will not work with 8.0.

GAVE the laptop away to an EX WIFE! Have a new Dell 17 inch with 8.1. Too new to tell if I'm going to like it or whether the CEO a Microsoft thet just resigned was threatened that badly over 8.0.

My new IT guy land gal (experts? I hope) recommended for my new desktop to get Windows 8, telling me there is a program that makes it work similar to 7. Said his 85 yr old mother uses and likes it.

The older I get the less I like change so am nervous. Will know a lot more next wk.

Latest posts