• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Cuts

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PPRM

Reaction score
LOL, I wasn't certain where to post this. Bull Session has always been too harsh.

Working with a new Meat Cutter. I like it in that this USDA Inspected Cutter owns his shop and has been around awhile though he is only maybe in his 40's. He started stuffing sausages in is dads shop when he was 6. I like that he is also creative and likes to think outside the box.

We were talking lots about upgrading the value of carcasses through choosing cuts. One thing that came up was the motivation. I value the Beef Council. But I tell you, there is nothing like motivation for creativity. Mine has been cuts that build up in the freezer we can't sell. Tyically Round.

I have worked hard to find new ways to market these. I can see the point where we may end up discounting steaks because they are building up compared to some of the products we make.

Like I said, nothing more motivating than your own freezers building up with your own meat

Industry News - AM
NCBA unwraps six new cuts from the round

By Lisa M. Keefe on 8/26/2010

National Cattlemen's Beef Association's Beef Innovations Group (BIG) introduced six new cuts generated from the beef round at the Innovative Beef Symposium in Denver, the group said in a news release.

The six new cuts include a portfolio of lean steak and roast options suitable for retail and foodservice outlets:

Santa Fe Cut — similar to a flank steak, perfect for fajitas, stir fry or for shredded beef
Round Petite Tender — flavorful, best cut into medallion steaks, offers a restaurant-quality experience on a bed of pasta or a roast for two
San Antonio Steak — ½-inch lean steak, versatile and cooks fast, works well with a marinade
Tucson Cut — the perfect lean cut for foodservice operations looking for value
Braison Cut — ideal for any braising application and makes a great osso buco or pot roast
Merlot Cut — deep red color, lean and flavorful, ideal for a variety of ethnic dishes
"As the marketplace continues to evolve, it creates opportunities for new beef cuts to be used as a competitive advantage," said Jim Ethridge, senior director of the BIG. "The muscles of the round offer the next frontier of innovation and additional value."

Cutting guides and related marketing materials for the new round cuts will be available on the BIG Web site by September 30, 2010, the group said.

BIG is a unit of NCBA and is funded by The Beef Checkoff. BIG's mission is to help meat processors, manufacturers, retailers, foodservice operators and cattle producers maximize yield, add versatility and increase profitability from the beef carcass.

I must be missing something cause ground round ($3.39) sells for more as hamburger than it does for steak ($2.77) around here.

So grind it up...

A place in Miles City promotes round steak as Custer Steak Fries or something like that and it is round steak breaded in strips like finger steaks. They are tenderized somehow. But they go over really good. There is a meat place there that features them, or used to. I"m not home right now so can't give you a contact number.

I'm sure you will come up with something delicious.

I will research some of these as I do appreciate it.

Ground Round has been a hit. i get $4.85/Lb for it.

Then Jerky. I get more per pound on Jerky. The hurdle has been finding a USDa place that will run it for me and does a good job.

London Broil~~~ I know, it is a way of coking. It is not a cut. We started showing people how to cook it. Mine has been mistaken for Tri-tip. It is a matter of knowng how to cook it. Peopl kept asking for Flank and I asked how they were cooking it. We were always out at $8.50/Lb. I was able to convert a lot of people to london Broil Top Round

The next step is steaks. My new Butcher has an Automati Needler that is not too intrusive. He is willing to do Rubs and Marinades as well. I think these will go really well.

The new cuts will be interesting. The question end up if we found truly new better cuts or just more ways to slice it

Latest posts