• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New diet takes hold....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redcattle56

Reaction score
Mediterranean Diet Adds Years to Your Life
08 Apr 2005

The Mediterranean diet is associated with longer life expectancy among elderly Europeans, finds a study published online by the BMJ today.

The Mediterranean diet is characterised by a high intake of vegetables, legumes, fruits, and cereals; a moderate to high intake of fish; a low intake of saturated fats, but high intake of unsaturated fats, particularly olive oil; a low intake of dairy products and meat; and a modest intake of alcohol, mostly as wine.

Current evidence suggests that such a diet may be beneficial to health.

The study involved over 74,000 healthy men and women, aged 60 or more, living in nine European countries. Information on diet, lifestyle, medical history, smoking, physical activity levels, and other relevant factors was recorded. Adherence to a modified Mediterranean diet was measured using a recognised scoring scale.

A higher dietary score was associated with a lower overall death rate. A two point increase corresponded to an 8% reduction in mortality, while a three or four point increase was associated with a reduction of total mortality by 11% or 14% respectively.

So, for example, a healthy man aged 60 who adheres well to the diet (dietary score of 6-9) can expect to live about one year longer than a man of the same age who does not adhere to the diet.

The association was strongest in Greece and Spain, probably because people in these countries follow a genuinely Mediterranean diet, say the authors.

Adherence to a Mediterranean type diet, which relies on plant foods and unsaturated fats, is associated with a significantly longer life expectancy, and may be particularly appropriate for elderly people, who represent a rapidly increasing group in Europe, they conclude.

Online First
(Modified Mediterranean diet and survival: EPIC-elderly prospective cohort study)
bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/rapidpdf/bmj.38415.644155.8F

British Medical Journal

so the average of one more year of life, and limited beef intake.......screw it, I'm eating beef! that last year can't be all that good anyway! :lol:

I agree, but considering what the Atkins diet did for beef, look at the possible affect it could have for the demand.

I will eat beef every day if given the chance, but what about very easliy deceived consumers who actually buy into this type of diet.

Boones Farm....ahhhh that takes me back to the old high school days. Nothing like a few bottles of 3 dollar wine to make for a wild weekend

I don't believe promotion of the so-called Mediterranean Diet is new. It may have been around longer than the Atkins one. They just get picked up and re-introduced periodically, it seems.

The research in progress with checkoff $$$ to show the properties/benefits of the naturally occuring fats in beef may have better pay-back for us than any specific diet.

MRJ

The research in progress with checkoff $$$ to show the properties/benefits of the naturally occuring fats in beef may have better pay-back for us than any specific diet

But I was told by my sales barn owner that checkoff dollars only went to support the big Packers and captive supplies!

Murgen, that sort of misinformation is such an unfortunate fact of life in R-CALF states!

Only a short time ago this morning, I heard Johnny Smith, Ft. Pierre livestock Auction, give his weekly diatribe that NCBA is "taking your checkoff and using it against you". Which, of course, is absolutely impossible! NCBA cannot say where or how checkoff dollars are spent, let alone authorize the spending in any way. Ranchers in all states with a beef checkoff decide what projects will be presented, and CBB decides which will be funded.

NCBA does contract to do some work on Checkoff projects for the CBB. AFTER the work and the way the money has been spent is approved by CBB, NCBA is re-imbursed for actual costs incurred. So are at least seven other organizations that are hired to do contract work for the CBB (whose board members come from many different cattlemen organizations across the nation).

MRJ

Latest posts