• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New EPD"s In Canada

Help Support Ranchers.net:

stetson

Reaction score
Grow Safe Net Feed Intake Test
I know Austraila has epd's for net feed intake- but only for Angus and
understand that Canada has developed net feed epd's for all breeds.
This is a bottom line epd can anyone comment on bloodlines involved
or is it an individual trait. I also understand that this trait is 35% heritable.
Information I've received suggest's that the net feed intake varies from
4.7 lbs of corn to 8.3 lbs per pound of gain.
I'm takeing 4 bull's to Texas ( they are 7/8 brothers ) to see where my program is in relation to others. I will be replaceing herd bulls after the first of the year.

stetson said:
Grow Safe Net Feed Intake Test
I know Austraila has epd's for net feed intake- but only for Angus and
understand that Canada has developed net feed epd's for all breeds.
This is a bottom line epd can anyone comment on bloodlines involved
or is it an individual trait. I also understand that this trait is 35% heritable.
Information I've received suggest's that the net feed intake varies from
4.7 lbs of corn to 8.3 lbs per pound of gain.
I'm takeing 4 bull's to Texas ( they are 7/8 brothers ) to see where my program is in relation to others. I will be replaceing herd bulls after the first of the year.

Haven't heard about the Canadian Epd's. Very few test stations measure feed efficiency because of the time involved in weighing each calves feed each day. It is a highly heritable trait and is economicaly important to those who feed cattle.

Problem is, not enough cattlemen feed cattle to even care. When the ones who feed start demanding data on it is when it will become important to the seedstock producer.

I had a calf to win the Auburn Univ Bull Test last year with 4.56:1 feed efficiency. The buyer didn't even know what the figures meant until I explained it to him after the sale. :???:

Mike, check out Growsafe's system. http://www.growsafe.com/index.cfm

I saw this system in operation in Calgary in July. Great for research etc. But not without it's problems. Daily weighs will be less of a hassle when systems like this work consistently.

I understand that Grow Safe is in use in W. Virginia, Florida, Texas.
The test station in Columbis Montana is planning a large facility featuring
Grow Safe. We have been working here in Wy for over a year to get one,
finally are getting politicans, other groups on board. Just a few hurdles to go.
Grow safe requires a Phd from the University to be involved. There is much more data provided than simply net feed intake

stetson said:
I understand that Grow Safe is in use in W. Virginia, Florida, Texas.
The test station in Columbis Montana is planning a large facility featuring
Grow Safe. We have been working here in Wy for over a year to get one,
finally are getting politicans, other groups on board. Just a few hurdles to go.
Grow safe requires a Phd from the University to be involved. There is much more data provided than simply net feed intake

I think the bull test in Florida plans to get the Grow Safe system in the near future, but as of last year they were just feeding out of feeder wagons. My calves did well there though, I think they liked the citrus pulp!

I am having an on-farm test this year to keep my contemporary groups together.

Latest posts