• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

new gun

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
I just got me a new "all around" gun.

Ruger Mark ll 223 with a leapould 4x9 scope. It's a shorter length, bout like a carbine. It's pretty sweet, but needs a shorter, lighter trigger pull. Went out this afternoon to the neighbors and eliminated quite a few praire dogs.

We got it zero'd in this morning at 100 yards. Seems to shoot at that sighting up to about 175 to 200 yards. I ain't a real good shot, but with a fair gun rest, I was having good luck at that range. Farther and the praire dogs held me off purty well! :lol:

Anyone got any info on this gun. I ain't a gun worshipper and my guns get abused and used and they ain't real purty after a few yeares of getting packed around. My sons say's I got to get better with this one as it's too purty to abuse! He's, a gun worshipper! :lol:

I do believe I could hit one of you more northern fellers gophers. At a short distance! :lol:

Sounds like a nice rifle. I shot a badger at a good distance for me with my old 30-30 with accelerator bullets the other day then today while loading bales in the tub grinder a porcupine crawled out from the stack. Sent the daughter down for the rifle . She shot from the hip. She looked over at me smiled and made like she slit his throat. He won't be gettin in the calf pens and quillin up some calves. :cowboy:

Is it the new "Frontier" model?

If so, here is an article: http://www.shootingtimes.com/longgun_reviews/77_062405/

.223 is my favorite prairie dog gun. It don't heat up like some of the faster calibers. Ammo is cheap too. I load mine for about a nickel each.

You can have some trigger work done, but all I have ever worked on was Remington triggers.

Get yourself a good cleaning rod, brush, and use GM Top engine Cleaner (available at your Chevy dealer) in the bore, then swab with oil.
That .223 will last a long time.

What's fun about the .223 is you can see the bullet impact. The bigger guns kick a little more and target is not visible after shooting.

Have fun!

Here's some external ballistics for the .223 zeroed at 100 yds:
100 yds 0
150 yds -1.13"
200 yds -3.76"
250 yds -8.14"
300 yds -14.58"
350 yds -23.38"
400 yds -34.99"
450 yds -49.89"
500 yds -68.62"

Just a little info for how much to hold over above 100yds.

It sure looks like the top one.

That forward mounted scope sounds interesting. I guess I'd like to try one.

I've never been much for scopes and always preferred open sights, but then I don't take very long shots either.

The author of the story evidently likes a longer, harder trigger pull than I do. My old 22-250 had a hair trigger and I liked it. I think I'll get a different trigger assembly so as to be able to adjust it. Matter of fact, I know I will. :)
I'm just waiting for the gunsmith to call and tell me it's there.

Damn glasses sure make it harder to sight, with a scope. Or at least any I can afford! :wink:

Heres the part numbers for the target trigger.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/E6.pdf

You can order it yourself, and probably install it yourself. Heck it's only $14.00.

I like my 10/22 on them dogs. It don't cost much of anything to shoot a .22 and it makes them 100+ yds shoots fun. you get a 10 mph cross wind and the do is out about 150 yds you got to aim about 6 foot high and 10 foot to the right when you get one you have some bragging rights let me tell ya. :lol: :lol:

Nice gun I am looking for a Rem. 700 .243 for my little girl; I may have to make sure it can drill some coyotes thou :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: .

This is a good site if you like Prairie dogs gone got to look at some of the videos with what looks like your .223

http://www.dogbegone.com/index.htm

Mudhen said:
This is a good site if you like Prairie dogs gone got to look at some of the videos with what looks like your .223

http://www.dogbegone.com/index.htm

I am not too sure that very many people should watch this video. Maybe those children who want to take a gun and shoot someone, so as to see what bullets and guns do.

This kind of video just gives the animal rights people more ammo, it looks to me like. IMO.

Mudhen have you checked out those NEF youth models for your girl. They make a sweet singleshot stainless steel barrel- with a composite stock-the nice thing about those little tack drivers is they are about half the price of an ordinary rifle. My buddy has one in .17 perfect gun for shooting beavers and gohpers etc.

I have a .223 also and I kill everything with it. Deer to prairie dogs. It is good for hunting coyotes and using balistic tips or similar shells it don't tear the hide up. of course now a days the hide isn't worth much, but when i was a kid a good coyote would bring $100. To many bunny huggers out there now I guess :cry: :cry: :cry: Maybe we should open a season for them? Like a year round one? I bet my .223 would work on them to!!!

TX Tibbs sure that quote will be cut and pasted on gun control sites all over the place. Maybe use your head a little bit-as far as the .223 being a deer claibre it isn't even legal up here in Canada to shoot deer with-but then we have DEER not the little rats with racks like in Texas.

I've never shot a deer in Texas with my .223. All the deer I killed were South Dakota deer and I know that they are very similar in size to your Canada deer!!! And yes my .223 works fine on them! You just have to be able to shoot worth a **** which apparantly Canadians can't if the use of a .223 is illegal!

.223 arnt legal in South Dakota for Elk, but for deer they are!

BucksandBears025.jpg

Tibbs here's what a DEER looks like-over 300 lbs dressed-32 inch neck-181 inches of bone- no 'ETHICAL' deer hunter takes a varmint gun on a deer hunt regardless of how good a shot he is. Hell you can kill a grizzley with a .22 if your lucky. Maybe you Texas windbags can't handle a .270's recoil-when were guiding we have special stands we put the know-it-alls in. Usually on a nice wide open point where they can enjoy a cool refreshing breeze in -40 and where no deer will come by to disturb them. You owe it to the game your hunting to hunt it with enough gun and a .223 for the most part isn't. Ohh by the way a Canadian soldier holds the world's record for the longest confirmed sniper kill-something to chew on.

The .223 is just to small I think, you can kill deer with a .22 LR but that isn't legal either. I like my 25-06 or a .243 for deer and my 7STW for mule deer and elk.

Northern Rancher said:
BucksandBears025.jpg

Tibbs here's what a DEER looks like-over 300 lbs dressed-32 inch neck-181 inches of bone- no 'ETHICAL' deer hunter takes a varmint gun on a deer hunt regardless of how good a shot he is. Hell you can kill a grizzley with a .22 if your lucky. Maybe you Texas windbags can't handle a .270's recoil-when were guiding we have special stands we put the know-it-alls in. Usually on a nice wide open point where they can enjoy a cool refreshing breeze in -40 and where no deer will come by to disturb them. You owe it to the game your hunting to hunt it with enough gun and a .223 for the most part isn't. Ohh by the way a Canadian soldier holds the world's record for the longest confirmed sniper kill-something to chew on.

Ughh your just another pompass,arrogant,egotystical Canuk....I don't have time for your smack! Texas windbag.....HAHA....I hope you choke on those words! And as far as the longest confirmed sniper kill ever....well I don't give a ****! Anywho...have a nice day.

No Texas Tibbs I'm an ethical deer hunter who wouldn't risk losing something as beautiful as that deer because I wasn't using a proper gun. What is about Texas that the ladies are so polite and such well the men are such well a........s for lack of a better word. If you can't take it sunshine don't start dishing it out. Guys like you who don't respect the animals they hunt turn my stomach-quite frankly.

Northern Rancher said:
No Texas Tibbs I'm an ethical deer hunter who wouldn't risk losing something as beautiful as that deer because I wasn't using a proper gun. What is about Texas that the ladies are so polite and such well the men are such well a........s for lack of a better word. If you can't take it sunshine don't start dishing it out. Guys like you who don't respect the animals they hunt turn my stomach-quite frankly.

Never in my life have I shot a deer with my .223 and just wounded it and it got away!!! Not one time...I always got em. And no, I don't have to shoot them 2938743 times to kill them either. Usually one shot to the head does the trick or the heart. And I've killed several deer....and yes they get big in South Dakota to. So I'm not bragging but just saying....don't slam me for something I haven't ever done. I see where your coming from but for me it has never happened.....so hence the reason I even wrote on this damn subject.....I didn't think it would spark such a dispute with you......actually it didn't cross my mind at all. Quit being so sensitive!

I've actually wounded and crippled more coyotes with my .223 than deer! Anyway I'm getting sick of writing about this.

Quit then-don't get me started on head shooting deer either-I've just had to spend too many long cold miles tracking bucks that were not shot right. You hunt with me you lungshoot them with a .243 or larger. One thing I've learnt about hunting is never say never-I'm out of this debate too.

Latest posts