• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

new gun

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I use a 270 with 150 grain bullets but do use 180 grain also I like to make it a clean kill.Around here a 100 yards is a long shot good thing cause any farter and I miss anyhow....

My 2 cents worth.

I like my Winchester lever action 30-30 for about anything, but I'm comfortable with it and it will knock down what I want to shoot. I had a bull put me on the fence and wasn't going to let me down. I told him I was going to shoot him and eat him and I did. With my 30-30. In the head. He is delisious(sp)!

I have to put a horse down for a friend and I will use a 38 or 357, up close, so as to not wound or take a chance on a bad shot.

Most "hunters" I've been around carry a large caliber rifle and they don't shoot it often enough to be comfortable with it and they take too long of shots and they cripple animals and I find those cripples and have to put them out of their misery.

I've seen deer with blown off jaws from head shots and deer with blown off legs from body shots and even deer running with their guts hanging out from bad placed, too long of shots.

This macho, "I'm a long distance shooter", bs just makes me mad. As does shooting at too far of a distance or hurried snap shots, that maim instead of kill. If you can't make the shot, be man enough to admit it, at least to yourself.

Not withstanding that things go wrong and anyone can make a bad shot. But you can sure eliminate them, or at least cut the odds of that happening, with some forsight and dedication to getting comfortable with a gun and knowing how to use it and not making impossible shots.

All that being said, I will probably shoot at about anything I want to kill on this place. Deer, fox, coyotes, skunks, mice, stray dogs and intruders, with this new 223. But they won't be overly long shots and they won't be where the bullet can be deflected. It is replacing my Winchester lever action 22 mag that has put an end to suffering on many a cripple. And it ain't caused any, either.

It's not the size of the bullet, but where it's placed that makes the difference.

when I was a kid we got single shot shotgun's and rifle's and my dad would limit your shells.We each got 5 and you better make the first count.I have friends who buy 4 or 5 boxes of bullets for a 4 day deer season and shoot them all.My gun holds 5 and I carry a couple extra's I can't hit running deer or farther away so I just dont shoot.

Denny said:
when I was a kid we got single shot shotgun's and rifle's and my dad would limit your shells.We each got 5 and you better make the first count.I have friends who buy 4 or 5 boxes of bullets for a 4 day deer season and shoot them all.My gun holds 5 and I carry a couple extra's I can't hit running deer or farther away so I just dont shoot.

Same here. I carry a few more, "just in case". But I've never had to use them. Last year I rode my horse up the crick until I found a doe I wanted and stepped off and shot from less than 100 yards. I finished her off with a second shot, but I wouldn't have had to as she wasn't going anywhere.

My son had a fit when we were sighting this gun in, cuz I bitched about all the shells we were using. But I think he was right as I've put enough thru' it to feel comfortable with it, already. As he put it, when I whined about all the shells and the cost, "Dad, it cost $5 bucks for those shells!"

Thats pretty cheap for the satisfaction of knowing the shot is going where I put it.

I admire those who can make consistent long shots, but I don't want them hunting on our land. That's more for targets. And snipers. :lol:

I carry lots so if I get lost I have some extras to shoot in the air-doesn't work as well in archery-sorry boys no power on earth will convince me to shoot a deer with a .223-even it was a legal calibre here-I have a .222 myself but it's a VARMINT gun. As for sighting in your gun-that's another pet peeve seen guys miss some pretty easy shots cause their guns weren't sighted properly-I'm getting the feeling that maybe you guys pack your .223 in the scabbard or pickup and if opportunity knocks you'll use it on deer. There's nothing tougher than those big old whitetail bucks if not hit right-they make bull moose look like NBA players-I've spent tooo many long cold hard miles retrieving deer for people to ever want somebody to go out unprepared in any way. The longest trailing job was a buck hit the afternoon before-got on his track 3 miles from where he was hit and tracked him another 8 hours. We called him the 'Bobbit Buck' so guess where he was hit-that guy was yapping about using a scope in the bush but he was pretty happy when I killed if for him-we'd finally ranhim into a pack of coyotes and they pushed himout in the open poplars.

NR can I go hunting with you? Hold on, at gas being 3.00 dollars a gal. and from where I live to Northgate, ND is 1374 miles in my truck at 11mpg that would be $375 one way. I may need to save up for this trip so I will ask next year. :cry: I have a feeling you live on past Northgate though.

I have a good friend who started his boys out on .223's as soon as they were old enough to climb in a stand by themselves. Those boys with those little Thompson Contenders have never let one get away and I can't think of any that took more than one shot. There were always provisions in the stand for a rifle rest too.

They were taught to put the bullet in the "boiler room", don't jump right up after the shot and pay attention to what the deer does after being shot.

There is something to be said for shooting deer with small calibers in that the bullet impact can be seen and the lethality can be determined somewhat.

It's all in picking your shots and having patience.

Same thing with "long shots". If one does his homework, doesn't try to shoot in extreme winds at longer distances, and knows his distances, also uses the right gun and bullet, there's no reason for someone not to do it.
Shooting "freehand" is a definite No-No and the same goes for deer that are moving.

I have seen 5 shot groups at 1000 yards measure less the 4".

But not with a .223.

:wink:

Mudhen at Northgate you still got about 500 miles to go-I wish I could take my American friends hunting but it's restricted to outfitters. I've got a friend coming out from Quebec on Sunday -boy is he pumped lol.

Northern Rancher said:
Mudhen at Northgate you still got about 500 miles to go-I wish I could take my American friends hunting but it's restricted to outfitters. I've got a friend coming out from Quebec on Sunday -boy is he pumped lol.

Do you mean that Canadian Law prohibits a landowner from taking a guest hunting on his own property?

Northern Rancher said:
yes-nonresidants have to hire a registered outfitter-like many u's states.

Like many? Or just a few? It just don't seem right that a man can't take guests hunting on his own piece of ground.

Guess that's why our whitetail hunting is soo good we limit the harvest-Americans can bird hunt without getting a guide-tons of geese up here too. Hopefully we'll have some bone to show in the next little while.

Latest posts