• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Labeling of US BEEF

Help Support Ranchers.net:

What, really, are they doing? Looks like they are putting ads on some cattle trucks asking consumers to demand USA produced beef.

Do they have the product available?

Do they have requirements for quality assurance and trace-back to producer and processors of the beef?

Do they have satisfaction guarantees on the beef?

How does the consumer know whom to contact if the product isn't satisfactory?

What happens when a consumer buys "USA produced beef, and it is of commodity quality and a definite bad eating experience takes place?

What happens when a consumer buys a high quality piece of "USA produced" beef, cooks it improperly without understanding that fact, and is dissatisfied?

<RK

mj...What happens when a consumer buys "USA produced beef, and it is of commodity quality and a definite bad eating experience takes place?

Tell me mj, what do they do now? What does the butcher or store owner tell them? Do they say we are sorry it is probably from the batch of Mexican beef we got in and didn't label it?

If that bad eating experience will take place after a USA logo is put on a package, it is happening now and they don't know where it came from. You had rather keep them in the dark about it in my opinion.

Tommy said:
mj...What happens when a consumer buys "USA produced beef, and it is of commodity quality and a definite bad eating experience takes place?

Tell me mj, what do they do now? What does the butcher or store owner tell them? Do they say we are sorry it is probably from the batch of Mexican beef we got in and didn't label it?

If that bad eating experience will take place after a USA logo is put on a package, it is happening now and they don't know where it came from. You had rather keep them in the dark about it in my opinion.

Tommy, your opinion couldn't be more wrong! I want labeling to be consumer driven. There already are labeled beef programs, and some DO have guarantees to the consumer. There is product differentiation. Not all producers sell animals that are going to produce top quality beef. I don't like this system that keeps us getting paid on averages when we sell through the auction markets and ask," how much will you give me for what I produce?" Wouldn't it be better to have a system that rewards those who produce better beef? And that sends signals back to the producer as to what the consumer is asking for. That is the end toward which NCBA members are working.

MRJ

MRJ

I forgot to include in the previous post that it seems to me the R-CALF project assumes ALL beef produced in the USA is top quality. Cattle we have seen while traveling a pretty large part of this country over the years sure could take the sails out of any such assumption!

MRJ

I forgot to include in the previous post that it seems to me the R-CALF project assumes ALL beef produced in the USA is top quality. Cattle we have seen while traveling a pretty large part of this country over the years sure could take the sails out of any such assumption!

MRJ

I would add MRJ, "same quality" we don't all produce the same quality in Canada either. What's wrong with labelling as to "specs" for what the individual consumer wants? Leave the generic stuff to someone else.

Voluntary programs like "branded beef products" do it, and seem to be able to demand a premium!

I say, make it a necessity and not a law. We don't need any more government intervention. Advertise your product and see who buys it!

Go R-calf Beef go!

mj...Tommy, your opinion couldn't be more wrong! I want labeling to be consumer driven.

All the consumer polls show they want country of origin labeling. Or do you just believe the only good poll is the checkoff poll?

mj... I don't like this system that keeps us getting paid on averages when we sell through the auction markets and ask," how much will you give me for what I produce?" Wouldn't it be better to have a system that rewards those who produce better beef?

Then sell your cattle on yeild and grade. Isn't that option out there?

mj...I forgot to include in the previous post that it seems to me the R-CALF project assumes ALL beef produced in the USA is top quality.

This coming from someone who says they eat 5-6 year old roping steers.

Tommy,

If a poll suggesting consumers will pay more for USA Beef, WHEN 95% OF THE LABELED BEEF WOULD BE U.S. BEEF, is valid, why is Mike Callicrate's "Born, Raised, and Processed in the U.S." branded beef program suffering from consumer apathy acording to the R-CULT publication.

I thought consumers would pay more for it? Heck, and he's even on the ground floor of a "born, raised, and processed in the U.S." beef product and he's in an area where consumers "SAID" (cheap talk) they would pay more for it???

So much for cheap talk!

~SH~

SH...I thought consumers would pay more for it? Heck, and he's even on the ground floor of a "born, raised, and processed in the U.S." beef product and he's in an area where consumers "SAID" (cheap talk) they would pay more for it???

So much for cheap talk!

Quote from Ranch Foods Direct...Popular local meat shop adds
second store in Colorado Springs

March 16, 2005

A local meat company that distributes premium beef, pork, lamb, buffalo, poultry and seafood — much of it raised on area farms — has opened a second retail location at 9475 Briar Village Point.

The new 1,300-sq. ft. location — which opened Tuesday, March 15 — is a comprehensive meat market featuring a full service take-out deli with patio seating, weather permitting.

Ranch Foods Direct opened its first location south of Fillmore on El Paso a year and a half ago. Hailed at the time for being "as much political manifesto as business enterprise," the company was founded on a mission of providing consumers with natural wholesome high quality meat while supporting the local economy and local farmers.

Owner Mike Callicrate is a rancher and entrepreneur dedicated to promoting the economic and political interests of farmers and ranchers and distributing quality U.S.-made products.
"Generally speaking, most consumers know very little about their food supply. But the significant growth of natural food demand proves that consumers want alternatives to commodity beef," he says.

Ranch Foods has a business relationship with G&C Packing Co., a local processor since 1944. G&C is one of less than a handful of plants that use a special technology called "rinse and chill" — popular in New Zealand — for slow, smart, safe processing.

The result is a tender, juicy, flavorful product that is remarkably consistent.

All of the meat comes from animals raised without artificial hormones or antibiotics, and the seafood is wild rather than farm-raised, Callicrate says.

If it is so much cheap talk, how is he opening another store Scott? It may have taken him a little while to get going, as do most ventures.

The pilot program for
Country of Origin Labeling on
fruit and vegetables in Alabama
grocery stores has begun. The
Department of Agriculture
and Industries and the
Alabama Grocer's Association
have been working closely in
the last few months to implement
a project to test the feasibility
of labeling produce in
grocery stores. The testing will
be conducted in eight grocery
stores for up to 90 days in the
Birmingham area. The participants
include: Associated
Grocery Stores, Bruno's
Stores, Piggly Wiggly, and
Western Supermarkets. All of
the participating stores have
voluntarily agreed to apply
country of origin labeling on
all loose produce in an effort
to give consumers a choice.
Test Program for Country of Origin Labeling
"Alabama raises some of
the safest and most economical
food in the world and farmers
in other countries may not have
the same high standards as we
do here at home," stated Sparks.
"I want to do anything I can to
protect our families and our
food supply. I commend these
businesses for volunteering to
be a part of this test program."

Tommy said:
mj...Tommy, your opinion couldn't be more wrong! I want labeling to be consumer driven.

All the consumer polls show they want country of origin labeling. Or do you just believe the only good poll is the checkoff poll?

mj... I don't like this system that keeps us getting paid on averages when we sell through the auction markets and ask," how much will you give me for what I produce?" Wouldn't it be better to have a system that rewards those who produce better beef?

Then sell your cattle on yeild and grade. Isn't that option out there?

mj...I forgot to include in the previous post that it seems to me the R-CALF project assumes ALL beef produced in the USA is top quality.

This coming from someone who says they eat 5-6 year old roping steers.

Tommy, why would you believe polls of consumers saying they want COOL, when you do not believe polls taken by at least equally top-notch polling companies that show good information about the beef checkoff? I believe the polls about the Beef Checkoff because of my experience with CBB, NCBA, and the nationally respected polling companies who have worked for them. I question the polls about consumer desire for labeling of ONLY country of origin of beef because consumers have stated in focus groups that they want MORE than just that info, and they have not voted with their money by making purchases of, or demanding beef currently available with country of origin and even producer of origin labels.

Currently the option to market our cattle in various ways is "out there". How long will that last with the auction market owners getting into the drivers seat with legislation to curtail how we can market cattle and to whom and when we may sell our cattle?

We may enjoy eating our five and six year of age or even older roping steers. That fact does not mean we do not want the full range of beef products available to consumers. I fully realize not everyone would like our 'elderly' beef. We also enjoy eating some very well processed young, grain fed Choice or better beef, too.

But keep on trying to discredit anything pro NCBA or Beef Checkoff.....it gives me more opportunity to set the record straight.

MRJ

mj...I believe the polls about the Beef Checkoff because of my experience with CBB, NCBA, and the nationally respected polling companies who have worked for them.

Then you should believe the NCBA poll a few years back showed that 78% of consumers support country-of-origin labeling and when given
a choice, 90% would purchase an American meat product.

mj...But keep on trying to discredit anything pro NCBA or Beef Checkoff.....it gives me more opportunity to set the record straight.

NCBA's #11 resolution stated that before trade is resumed with Canada, the USA must get an agreement for resumed trade with Japan, Mexico, and Korea.
So set me straight mj. What is the NCBA doing?

MRJ said:

MRJ

How is it, MRJ, that ANY idea that NCBA has is WONDERFUL. Yet the same idea from RCalf is atrocious?

I agree that labeling is needed and should be consumer-driven. Yet every poll shows consumers want to know where there beef is raised, yet NCBA says "No, the packers say it will cost too much!"

Sounds like the cart is driving the horse here. Labeling will help the consumer AND the producer and not the packer. What's the problem here? Ncba is packer-driven.

That's my honest opinion. Sorry if you don't agree. But I, like everyone, is entitled to an opinion.

the chief said:
MRJ said:

MRJ

How is it, MRJ, that ANY idea that NCBA has is WONDERFUL. Yet the same idea from RCalf is atrocious?

I agree that labeling is needed and should be consumer-driven. Yet every poll shows consumers want to know where there beef is raised, yet NCBA says "No, the packers say it will cost too much!"

Sounds like the cart is driving the horse here. Labeling will help the consumer AND the producer and not the packer. What's the problem here? Ncba is packer-driven.

That's my honest opinion. Sorry if you don't agree. But I, like everyone, is entitled to an opinion.

Oh, I don't know, chief, maybe it is the outrageous claims of dangers to health from eating Canadian beef, and the fact that their beef is equally protected from BSE as is USA produced and processed beef that R-CALF has advertised to consumers in their quest to keep the Canadian border closed. Maybe it is the fact that they claim it is mainly the border closure that is holding our cattle prices up when facts show we are importing more beef than ever, so that one doesn't hold water for them. Maybe it is the fact that their latest project with their partner organizations to advertise and ask consumers to demand USA produced beef, yet they have no criteria for the product, with no verification required, and really they have nothing but some signs according to their news releases.

Here is a solid plan for a voluntary, verifiable USA produced beef product. Will R-CALF/LMA/WORC/OCM/et.al be joining with NCBA to achieve this plan?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NCBA Urges Support for Meat Promotion Act
Bill implements long-awaited country-of-origin labeling
America's cattle ranchers are applauding efforts by the House Agriculture Committee to implement a producer-friendly, market-driven country-of-origin labeling program. The Meat Promotion Act (H.R. 2068) was introduced today by House Ag Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) and Rep. Marion Berry (D-Ark.), along with 32 additional co-sponsors.

The National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA), which has long supported the concept of country-of-origin labeling, thanks the committee for its persistent efforts on this issue.

"Many segments of the food industry have wanted country-of-origin labeling for years," says NCBA President and Texas cattle producer Jim McAdams. "But there continues to be heated debate over how to actually implement such a program so that it works. After all this time, we're no closer to promoting U.S. products than we were a decade ago. We're tired of debating and we're tired of waiting."

NCBA says the Meat Promotion Act can finally move country-of-origin labeling forward in a common-sense and cost-effective manner that will benefit beef and pork producers across the country by promoting American-grown foods.

The Meat Promotion Act puts the marketplace in charge
Food producers are in the business of meeting consumer demand. Where that demand is demonstrated, more products labeled with country-of-origin will become available.

Opportunity for broad participation
This program does not discriminate against any groups in the food production, retail or food service sectors. The program is open to everyone who wants to participate. More participation equals more promotion of U.S. products!

Successful models already exist
Under this bill, USDA will implement a labeling program that will be similar to the many voluntary labeling programs that currently exist. Hundreds of programs that label products by region, state and U.S. brand have already proven their value for producers and consumers alike.

"This is a bipartisan bill and is widely supported by nearly 60 food and ag groups as a means for finally moving country-of-origin labeling forward," says McAdams. "This effort is going to separate the cattlemen who really want country-of-origin labeling from the folks who just want to keep talking about it. We say it's time to 'get her done,' once and for all."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MRJ

Let me say that one of the wierdest beef eating experiances I've ever had is eating roping steers. After they're roped out, they need turned out for a couple months and then finnished on full feed like any steer. I think its because they're slight muscled like waygu, but they are highly marbled and eat very well.

This leads me to the question if MRJ knows roping cattle are fit to eat despite what you'd expect why, "ALL beef produced in the USA is top quality. Cattle we have seen while traveling a pretty large part of this country over the years sure could take the sails out of any such assumption! "

Ya just can't tell by looking. I've fed cattle all my life, and I'm still amazed by packing sheets.

Latest posts