• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New neighbor

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
So the ranch next to us has recently sold.

We share about 8 and a 1/2 miles of fence with it, the fence is mostly old three strand barbed wire. It run's through some rough county and in and out of coulee's and brush.
The new guy plans on running yearlings and he won't be living there,
called and wants me to go in on new fence with him.
Fence has gotten expensive with good wire at $125 a roll, posts have gone up a lot.
I had planned on replacing about a mile that was off the line, the neighbor moved it for convenience then complained if our cattle got through it as they never maintained it.
He's worried his yearling will get to our big rough pasture and he won't get them back. We ran yearlings for years and maintained the fence, added a third wire to some of it.
What do you guys think?

I had a long something or mother wrote that I don't know where went. Tell him to turn out. You'll get his stock back. 100,000 worth of fence is worth talking and thinking about

I have a 250 acre inholding in a 1000 acre pasture. There was a fire back in 2005 , and the owner on the other side put back up the burned wire and steel post. There needs to be a new fence, the inholding owner wanted me and the guy I rent it too to buy the materials and he bring labor to help build...... that was 3 years ago....Oh the neighbor that put back the fence was still mad at the former owner for not helping. but said he help with labor on a new
fence.

I say build the mile you planned on, don't ask them for help labor or money, and then let them do the rest. I have never had any luck getting neighbors to help out with fencing. The best I can remember is once on an $8000 stretch, a neighbor kicked in $1000 and I did all the labor. He was 80 so I don't fault him. His only concern was that if I could get it finished before he needed to put his cattle back in that pasture. I worked from daylight till dark and had it done in two weeks.

I never asked neighbors to kick in, just informed them that I was building a new fence and planned to bear all the expense and do all the labor. If they volunteered to kick in fine, if not that just showed me what kind of neighbors they were.

I say build the mile you planned on, don't ask them for help labor or money, and then let them do the rest. I have never had any luck getting neighbors to help out with fencing. The best I can remember is once on an $8000 stretch, a neighbor kicked in $1000 and I did all the labor. He was 80 so I don't fault him. His only concern was that if I could get it finished before he needed to put his cattle back in that pasture. I worked from daylight till dark and had it done in two weeks.

I never asked neighbors to kick in, just informed them that I was building a new fence and planned to bear all the expense and do all the labor. If they volunteered to kick in fine, if not that just showed me what kind of neighbors they were.
here you can bill them for 1/2

Seems like I always end up fencing everyone else out.
Sounds great that they are willing to fence.
You should be responsible for fencing half of the fence and neighbor other half.
Its really really nice to have good neighbors.
I'm really easy to get a long with. Sometimes people tasks advantage.
Its easy to start thinking that if I do the right thing people will put it over on me.
I try to do right thing regardless of consequences.
Three wire won't keep them out so what are you going to do? Chase em back all the time and keep fixing existing fence?
Dump his captured steers into big muddy national grasslands park?
Lot of people fighting or have hard feelings over fences.
I really hate fighting with neighbors. I dont watch shows like Yellowstone or want to live that way

Seems like I always end up fencing everyone else out.
Sounds great that they are willing to fence.
You should be responsible for fencing half of the fence and neighbor other half.
Its really really nice to have good neighbors.
I'm really easy to get a long with. Sometimes people tasks advantage.
Its easy to start thinking that if I do the right thing people will put it over on me.
I try to do right thing regardless of consequences.
Three wire won't keep them out so what are you going to do? Chase em back all the time and keep fixing existing fence?
Dump his captured steers into big muddy national grasslands park?
Lot of people fighting or have hard feelings over fences.
I really hate fighting with neighbors. I dont watch shows like Yellowstone or want to live that way
I understand about the half and half with line fences. We have moved our share off he line and back across the road allowance to keep fence away from crop only to have them farm the road allowance.
We have been maintaining this fence for many years and then the new guy figures it's all going to be new at $10,000 a miles we share 8 1/2 miles That's not in the budget.

In Alberta you have to fence your stock in. If your cows get into mine I can legally corral them and then I think the sheriff is supposed to arrange transport to auction mart where owner has to pay expenses to get them back.
Nobody does this. What they do is either calve them out,keep calf,use them for rope practice or dump them in forest reserve.
In Saskatchewan for some crazy reason isn't the law the other way? You have to fence stuff out?
To build a new fence does sound unreasonable. I thought you both would just upgrade your halves of the three wire to four wire.
Would be great if you could talk things over with new guy and explain your position in a nice way.
I hear you about the road allowances. They are disappearing everywhere in my area. Either farmed or fenced and used as private. Actually we have public roads in my area being used and controlled like private property but thats another subject
Be really good if you guys could work things out. I know it feels like you have to be mean so they won't put it over on you. I understand that. This will make you laugh but ive been finding that when someone does me wrong or tries to hurt me. Well if I do my part and take high road. God blesses or pays me back in another way. Seems like good always eventually comes out of it

Latest posts