• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NEW ORLEANS POLL

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rebuild New Orleans

• YES THEY SHOULD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO THEY SHOULD NOT

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
With another storm threatning the gulf coast,I have to wonder how smart is it to rebuild New Orleans,its just a matter of time till it happens again...................good luck

I think they shouldn't rebuild all of NO. So my answer is yes and no.

Ok...the only trouble is if they dont' rebuild.....that means that all of them people from Nawlins are going to infiltrate into other areas of the country.....and who the hell wants that!!!??? So maybe they should rebuild so those people can all go live in their little below sea level swamp again. I don't really want them in my back yard.

TXTibbs, There was a poll taken among the refugees in Houston. I saw it on MSN I think, but don't recall who took it. Less than half of them had any plans to ever return to New Orleans. Two thirds of them that wasn't going back said they plan to stay in Houston. :(

I guess my question would be "at whose expense will New Orleans be rebuilt?".....I seriously doubt that the government would fork over tax-payer money if my house were wiped out!! :roll: :roll: Do I believe in helping out??? Hell yes!! Already have dished out my fair share of donations....as have so many others!

In 1997 in Manitoba we had what they called the Flood of the Century. It was massive. Covered millions of acres, hundreds of homes, and darn near got into Winnipeg. The floodway was maxed out, and darn near didn't handle it. Water was allowed to go elsewhere in order to save the city. (For those who haven't heard about the floodway, it's a monster ditch dug around the east side of Winnipeg that diverts extra water from the Red River around the city, and meets back up with the river north of Winnipeg. It is absolutely huge. )

Anyway, what I'm getting at is that since that flood, every farm yard in the Red River valley has a dike around it that is higher than the 97 water level. All the towns have dikes, and many of the homes were not rebuilt. If you build on a flood plain here now, you are on your own. No insurance, no government compensation and they don't even like to give you sandbags. :?

As for New Orleans, notice that the oldest part of the city is high and dry? Perhaps rebuilding only on ground considered high enough to be safe should be the priority. Save the low land for parks. Better to build a high rise on an acre of dry ground than to build 500 homes in a potential swamp. This is a golden opportunity to make things better. I hope they use it to plan for the future.

I beg to differ, we Texans Pride ourselves on kindness and being nice. There just comes a time when you are tired of smiling after seeing all the sick things those people from New Orleans have done. And Now they wanna reside in our state???...how would you like it if 250,000 vagrants, rapists, theives etc were plopped down right smack dab in the middle of your community??? And the biggest majority of them are standin there with their hand stuck out....palm facin upwards! By golly I say git em off their duffs n put em to work, those of em that can.
And another thing, what if Rita hits Houston...where all of em are "holed up" huh???
Dont get me wrong, I feel for the biggest majority of em..its just those that won't even try to help themselves that I have a problem with.

I have major trouble with the term " those people".

That said - - As I understand it the Old Town still stands and was not hurt that much. I don't know much about the area - - Could they build a New Town out side the Flood Plan Area and turn Old Town and the rest of the area a Park or the like.

Don't get me wrong I do feel sorry for everyone that lost their homes but I have three questions about this disaster.
First, what were these people thinking when they built those homes and businesses below sea level on a body of water known for hurricanes? When you have to go to the roof of your house to see the body of water you are living beside at eye level, no good is going to come from this :roll:
Second where were the city planned heads when they OK'd those building permits? :shock:

And did I understood Bush to say something about using some of the money to divert the Mississippi River even more than it is now? If so that to me sounds like another expensive mistake. :???:

Tam said:
Second where were the city planned heads when they OK'd those building permits? :shock:

now, now Tam, don't blame the French for everything here.... :wink:

we do need the port rebuilt because of its use of and extenceve river system.... Port of NO is resposabile for 1/5 off all our shipping exports and imports.... heck most the midwest grain go out that way....the city could be rebuilt off sight on higher ground.

I think you are reading something into the phrase"those people" its a well used phrase around here and regularly used to describe other folks including neighbors,its not meant to be derogatory ...................good luck.
northern rancher save the drama for your mama,there is plenty good will in TX,we are taking good care of the flood victims,have one helping me patch fence,and you are outa line with the lady.

Thanks haymaker for coming to my defense.....I in no way shape or form meant any certain race when I say "those people" by saying that I meant all the trouble makers, be they red, yellow, white, or black, or purple for that matter. "Those People" is used around here to indicate, the new neighbors around the corner that I can't remember their names, or "those people" that live down at the end of the lane that I've never met but wave to ever time I see em. As my mama would say....you can put yer glad britches back on soon as ya take yer mad britches off.....git over it when ya jump high enuff.

How many conversations have we had on ranchers referring to "differences" all over the United States and Canada in the way we do things, say things, view things etc.

Wonder if you have a problem with the terms....."you people" or "those cows" or "them dogs" ???? I might could see ya gettin ya hackles raised if I'd said "Them ____ people" or "those ____ cows" or "them ____ dogs"

NUFF SAID!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
NUFF SAID!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the WRONG direction
If I say a word that offends my friends or other people I Grow by learning/using words that do not offend. I do not use words like OKIE. ARKIE. TexASS, Dude, want to be, Country Dirt Farmers, Dust Bowl Immigrants, Etc. that may offend. My friends know me and where I'm coming from and we use words that I would get killed over if I used them in other places.

You can go on using any words you want – That's your Right
It is also our Right to say your words Offend Us

How do you expect us to take you seriously when you Offend Us right off the bat.
"Those People" does not offend me personally but I know it offends other Humans and I don't want them to say "Those People on Ranchers.net are raciest and use THAT as an excuse to hurt our land, animals or our/your family

Well first off, I never dreamed the words "those people" would offend anyone. Like haymaker and I both stated it's a figure of speech in my area. I"m sorry if I don't know how the whole United States and Canada, and any other country represented on this website responds or feels about things that are said. I dont get easily offended. If someone regularly posts things I dont like...I dont read their posts, simple as that.
As for me being WRONG? I dont think so, that's my right.
As for you thinking it was WRONG? you may think so, that's your right. But no need to go attacking someone over two words. That I readily explained my meaning of in my previous post, when discovering someone was offended.

Git yer facts straight V_Key yer first post stated

V_Key

Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:49 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have major trouble with the term " those people".

then your next post states

" "Those People" does not offend me personally "

hmmmm

Well first off, I never dreamed the words "those people" would offend anyone. Like haymaker and I both stated it's a figure of speech in my area. I"m sorry if I don't know how the whole United States and Canada, and any other country represented on this website responds or feels about things that are said. I dont get easily offended. If someone regularly posts things I dont like...I dont read their posts, simple as that.
As for you thinking it was WRONG? you may think so, that's your right. But no need to go attacking someone over two words. That I readily explained my meaning of in my previous post, when discovering someone was offended.
Don't worry about it Lilly. If your two words is all it takes to offend "those people", they have waaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. Either that, or they are a bunch of sniveling over-sensitive ninnies.

My dictionary:
those: Used to indicate an unspecified number of people
people: Humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers

How anyone could take "those people" as derogatory is beyond me too!

Mike said:
Don't worry about it Lilly. If your two words is all it takes to offend "those people", they have waaaaaaaaaaay too much time on their hands. Either that, or they are a bunch of sniveling over-sensitive ninnies.

My dictionary:

Maybe they are Democrats. "Those people" (Democrats) can get offended
by pret' near anything. :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
Mike said:

My dictionary:

Maybe they are Democrats. "Those people" (Democrats) can get offended
by pret' near anything. :wink: :)

I don't know why "those people" have to get so excited by the use of the words "those people"? Hmmm, what are they trying to hide? A deepseated and resentful hatred of all of us with a clean consience(sp) who are not afraid to say what we truely feel about "some people"? Kind'a makes you wonder who "those people" are, doesn't it? :shock: :eek: :lol: :wink:

Latest posts