• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New poem, well to you guys anyway!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
Maybe this will stir a few of you up. I've been going back and orginizing some older poems. I wasn't sure if theis was the best place to post it, but we'll see.

History lesson

they came from out of the east
from the north, some came down
to try to find a new lifestyle
they couldn't stand to live in a town

they came to the vast, wild lands
where a person can choose their fate
the old ones who already lived there
soon learned about intolerance and hate

for these new people were greedy
were never content, with what they had
never satisfied their lust and land-hunger
mother earth couldn't make their hearts glad

land, they always wanted more land
to build on and live their lives
then slowly, change came about
more strangers, with their children and wives

in the beginning, they were all made welcome
by the old ones, who lived there first
but eventually, there came a war
when they couldn't quench their land-hungry thirst

of course the strangers would win
they were numerous as threads on a loom
even tho' the old ones fought back
the strangers coming, would spell their doom

this has happened for centuries, world wide
this tragic scenario, time and again
right here, the last time were the indian wars
with all of the tragedy, sorrow and sin

and I'll tell you folks, ranchers are next
these new strangers have made their vow
they will have all our land and wide open spaces
because we are the old ones, now

Jinglebob 2000 :wink:

Good poem JB and sadly too true,we see more and more river land being bought up by city folk that put up huge locked gates with no trespassing signs...thier weekend getaways :evil:

How many more good ones you been hidin from us? Good thing you dusted that one off and shared with us. It is more true now than it was 7 years ago. History does repeat itself unfortunately :wink:

sw said:
How many more good ones you been hidin from us? Good thing you dusted that one off and shared with us. It is more true now than it was 7 years ago. History does repeat itself unfortunately :wink:

Oh, there's lots more where I was hidin' that one, but I've gotten a lot picky'er about what I allow the public to see, in the past few years. :)

Glad you guys liked it. :)

It's a very good poem, Jinglebob, but sadly too serious and true. Write the stuff that makes a comedy of our lifestyle and keeps a grin on our faces. :)

The first time or two I ever heard Baxter Black, he was still an acting vet. About half of his presentation in those days was funny stories and poetry, and the rest was serious product pushing. My thought then was, "Baxter, let some other boring old veterinarian impart the serious stuff. You are so funny, just go for the gold and keep everyone entertained." I, for one, was very glad when he decided to do it this way.

Soapweed said:
It's a very good poem, Jinglebob, but sadly too serious and true. Write the stuff that makes a comedy of our lifestyle and keeps a grin on our faces. :)

The first time or two I ever heard Baxter Black, he was still an acting vet. About half of his presentation in those days was funny stories and poetry, and the rest was serious product pushing. My thought then was, "Baxter, let some other boring old veterinarian impart the serious stuff. You are so funny, just go for the gold and keep everyone entertained." I, for one, was very glad when he decided to do it this way.

Yup, I know what your saying.

I had a good visit with Wally McRae, the first year I went to Elko. (Wally wrote "Reincarnation, and scads of other great poems) and I told him that I couldn't seem to write real knee slapping, funny stuff. He told me not to worry about it, as the funny stuff was the candy and ice cream and the serious stuff was the meat and potatoes. I took heart. I still try to write funny stuff, but I can't seem to do it very well.

And I have heard Baxter do some real serious stuff also.

I like serious and funny. I just wish it was as easy to write funny as it is to write serious. :(

What stories or movies or even poems, stick in your mind? With me, it's the serious ones.

Funny stories that have happened to someone, that I can write a story about, are totally different. :) Then, I just have to remember the story and make it sound good. I don't have to worry about meter and rhyme.

And I don't think a story that is set to ryhme is necessarily a poem, tho' a few are. :wink:

Now Saddle Tramp, he can write good funny poems. That guy just has a great mind on him. Hmmmm, he must borrow it from his wife. :wink:

Good poem JB, it's just rather unfortunate that it's true. Funny some of us would kill to be in the wide open spaces and others just want to own it ta say they have it. Just doesnt make sense....

ranchwife said:
Jinglebob said:
Been There said:
Serious poetry is always the best poetry.

I agree, but it's always nice to make the crowd laugh, too. :)

I agree....now when ya gonna post us a rib-tickler, jb???? :D :wink:

Well, go check out the ranch page on one you replied to, in reply to what I replied to. :shock:

Jinglebob said:
ranchwife said:
Jinglebob said:
I agree, but it's always nice to make the crowd laugh, too. :)

I agree....now when ya gonna post us a rib-tickler, jb???? :D :wink:

Well, go check out the ranch page on one you replied to, in reply to what I replied to. :shock:

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Let me re-read this one and I'll get back to ya!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts