• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

new ranch horse "speed bump"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jerry H

Reaction score
this a horse i got to ride that belongs to the ranch
he's a nice horse i've took him to some brandings and drug calves and sorted on him and he really rides around and is a traveling booger
but the other day i stepped on him and trotted about 2 hundred yards and he boogered at somthing and i almost fell off of him as i was watching my dogs that were holding up a bull i was after
well when he came straight he blew up and bucked like the dickens and the young man that was with me bumped him a couple of times and it did nothing
well i rode him till he hit the bull in behind and thats what stopped him and then he was ok
i am going to ride him this morning "if the goverment guy's ever get up" when i go to get our yearlings off the game refuge
let me what ya'll think
jerry
DSCN0086-2.jpg

DSCN0088-2.jpg

DSCN0090-2.jpg

DSCN0092-2.jpg

DSCN0096-2.jpg

DSCN0098-2.jpg

DSCN0104-2.jpg

your right he's like brownie
but he's a good un in his own right
he is 5 this year
but he has been turned out for 2 years
they were trying to get him ready for the snafflebit futurity and blew him up i geuss so they sent him out here to be a usin horse and my boss rode him alittle and then turned him out for his mind to rest and here we are
he's another one of them high bred horses that gets to be a ranch horse
but when i get him slowed down some i'll take him to some ranch horse shows
until later
jerry

Jerry, that horse is on the defensive. It's gonna take some time to soften him up because of what happened to him before you got him.

He's pretty tight with his tail and his ears. He needs lots of bending and softening and he needs to learn to trust you. Hard to do when he's been fried once already. He does look like a nice made horse.

Slow and steady, I say.

Good Luck!!

you right on the money fh
i have been prowlin on him and just trottin and lookin at the country lots bending and playing
he gets real teanse in the pens and will step sideways into a fence or a gate when i tried to sort on him
i drug some calves on him and he get real teanse but we got thru it ok
so now it's back to just prowlin and playin
i had just put that argentine snaffle in his mouth and he was not liking it to much but he would not let me ride him in a hackamore "just kept climbing" and stayed to high so i geuss i'll have go in a small bridle
those pic's are a couple of months old and i have ridden him alot since and he is doing well accept now he has bucked like the dickens once and yeasterday i tied a tie string around his neck with the tail dangling to knock the flies off his front legs and he didn't go for that he went to pitchin backwards and spinning it was not a good deal so when i got him stopped i took it of and he was fine
until later
jerry

You originally said, "Something Spooked him"...You aren't nieghbors to haymaker are you? Seems when haymaker gets off a horse to get rid of coffee, horses go running,

LOL... Good Luck on this one. Looks like he will be a joy to ride in the open country... Also, pick your days on him. "Getting by him" on a days chores can set things back in the long run,

PPRM

pprm
i don't think haymaker and i have the troubles when it comes to horses
he's rael watchy about things on the ground and i don't know what started that firse episode maybe a rattle snake or even a rabbit but i'm fairly certain it was my right spur buried in him that started him pitchin but after he started it was all him as all i was trying to do was ride him thru the cholla and not get bucked off in there
and i'm not big on spurring and whipping one for pitchin when they are scared
as for picking my days on him i do that now that i have him checked out and i know what bothers him so i just try to work around thaose things till i get his mind right
and then he'll be just another horse to get things done on
i have igh hopes for him as he is a real cool ride and does some neat stuff with a cow
until later
jerry

He just needs what all horses do..... wet saddle blankets! :D If you'll take small steps and only crowd him when he's ready, he'll come right along. Ask him questions he already knows the answers too and he'll get confidence in you and him. Pretty colt! Good luck and report his progress as ya go!

thanks leanin h
he is a cool pony and getting better all the time
and drag wet saddle blanket off of at least 2 a day in this rough counrty and he has been getting his share of them as they all do around here
until later
jerry

Jerry H said:
your right he's like brownie
but he's a good un in his own right
he is 5 this year
but he has been turned out for 2 years
they were trying to get him ready for the snafflebit futurity and blew him up i geuss so they sent him out here to be a usin horse and my boss rode him alittle and then turned him out for his mind to rest and here we are
he's another one of them high bred horses that gets to be a ranch horse
but when i get him slowed down some i'll take him to some ranch horse shows
until later
jerry

...and now we know the rest of the story :D . That explains a lot. He's a lucky horse to have found a good home and a capable cowboy to straighten him back out again. If only all horses were lucky enough to be ranch ponies :D . Please send updated pics when you get the chance, it would be neat to see how he's progressed :D .

jl
yep thats his name
i didn't give it to him my boss did
i geuss when he first got him the older horses ran him into the corral fence and he had a knot on his head that looked like a speed bump so the name just stuck
later
jerry

Jerry, this is getting into a whole other level, but have you heard about riding both sides of your horse? Most people ride more to one side than the other.

I just happened to think about Tom Wagoner talking about that. You can tell if you do by looking at your stirrups. The side you tend to 'ride' has more wear on the stirrup on that side. Tom says that if you learn to 'ride both sides of your horse', you will keep him fresher longer and it is easier on his back.

Like I said, I just happened to remember him talking about that, and
how interesting it was to me and wondered if you had ever heard anything about it.

yes fh
i have been taught to ride both sides of my horses but i have to admit after a long day i tand to ride the right side and it is a habbit i have a hard time with
in the fall and winter it is real easy to tell as the hair on that side of my horses gets rubbed short from my spur rowel
but i try to keep on top of it when i feel my self doing it and sit and ride right
until later
jerry

Faster horses said:
Jerry, this is getting into a whole other level, but have you heard about riding both sides of your horse? Most people ride more to one side than the other.

I just happened to think about Tom Wagoner talking about that. You can tell if you do by looking at your stirrups. The side you tend to 'ride' has more wear on the stirrup on that side. Tom says that if you learn to 'ride both sides of your horse', you will keep him fresher longer and it is easier on his back.

Like I said, I just happened to remember him talking about that, and
how interesting it was to me and wondered if you had ever heard anything about it.

Tom is right,another way to tell.............when you unsaddle your horse,dry spots only on the opposite side you are leaning in to.............good luck.

Faster horses said:
He never mentioned anything about that causing dry spots on your horse, Haymaker. That sounds more like an ill-fitting saddle.

Well that settles it...............your expert did'nt say anything about it so it caint be,................use a little common sense girl,I guarantee you I can take a well fitting saddle and put weight on the left side,ride that horse hard and find dry spots on his right side when we unsaddle him.
Not sayin there aint exceptions,but have seen my share of people riding "off center" and yanked more than one saddle off a horse to prove it to them.
good luck

I reckon the people I know wouldn't ride that far off to the side...so no, I wouldn't know about that dry spotting a horse. Actually, if they ride like that they wouldn't ride far period, IMHO.

My 'expert' as you call him, grew up on a 72.000 acre rough country ranch. He has spent most of his life with a pair of bridle reins through
his hands--but I doubt he'll like anyone to call him an expert. He says he learns something every day.

Faster horses said:
I reckon the people I know wouldn't ride that far off to the side..
.so no, I wouldn't know about that dry spotting a horse. Actually, if they ride like that they wouldn't ride far period, IMHO.

My 'expert' as you call him, grew up on a 72.000 acre rough country ranch. He has spent most of his life with a pair of bridle reins through
his hands--but I doubt he'll like anyone to call him an expert. He says he learns something every day.

Well,you probably know more experts than me,I have a neighbor that stables horses for some city folk and gives riding lessons,so get a well rounded view of horsemanship around here.................good luck
PS...... You probably wont believe this but we have some fair sized ranches in Texas too,as a matter of fact ,some of the country is pretty rough :p

Latest posts