• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Saddle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
For those of you who DON'T know, I have been riding a Corriente saddle, or at least that is what I think it is. I ordered a new custom made one from Heritage Saddlery, in Red Lodge MT, WAYYYYYY back in November, and while Zilly was here I was kinda waiting for it to get here. Well it did, and other then all the squeaks, I love it!!

001-6.jpg

003-6.jpg

004-6.jpg

002-5.jpg

005-4.jpg

Looks like a nice saddle. I thought you only rode gentle horses so why the buck rolls? :lol: :wink: Kiddin' as it always nice to have a spot to squeeze your knees under if things go south. I havent had a saddle with rough out leather on the seat and fenders. Let me know how ya like it. :D

This is the third one that has had the rough out on it. The one that I am sorta retiring, I bought used, but I have had a new Corriente built rough out, and it never wore on me. The rough out makes a person stay in the saddle better, or that is my thoughts anyway. I'll keep you informed.

LazyWP said:
This is the third one that has had the rough out on it. The one that I am sorta retiring, I bought used, but I have had a new Corriente built rough out, and it never wore on me. The rough out makes a person stay in the saddle better, or that is my thoughts anyway. I'll keep you informed.

Nice looking saddle, Lazy WP. Your philosophy of the rough out leather making a person stay in the saddle better might be a good idea. Then if I attached velcro to the backside of my britches maybe it would attach itself to the roughtout leather, and I could stay on better yet. :cboy:

Man LazyWP, that is a nice looking saddle. I've never owned a horse long enough to be what I consider an exceptional horse. Because of that, alot of the ponies I've ridden have always been a little rough. That rough-out is a handy thing at times. Just like Soapweed says, the thought is that is will help a man get a grip and stay aboard. Although there has been plenty of times when I was looking for an exit. That is a sharp saddle, for sure. It looks very well made and I hope it lasts you for a long time. Should you not like it though, let me know because I like it. I've been wanting to get a new custom rig by Swanke's outta Billings. Gotta wait till the Hostile Native decides to up my allowance though. A new custom kack aint cheap.

Congratulations on the new rig. That thing is sure slick.

Tex

that looks like a well made saddle, believe you are right about the roughout and buckin rolls, both come in mighty handy on these high strung 2 year olds, especially if some varmint comes running outa a brush pile :mad:
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
that looks like a well made saddle, believe you are right about the roughout and buckin rolls, both come in mighty handy on these high strung 2 year olds, especially if some varmint comes running outa a brush pile :mad:
good luck

And that, my friends, comes from a true believer. Been-there, done that
guy.
:wink: :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're ready for another story anytime, Haymaker. You tell some
really interesting ones...and I mean that sincerely.

And I'll agree on the rough-out seat. Really makes a difference.
Now that I have my knees fixed, I hope to ride again and since I sold my Earl Twist saddle way back when, I am looking for a saddle. I really like the
look of the Wade's but for me, I don't want one. I want a light weight
saddle that is stout enough to rope something out of. (And I don't rope...)

Nice saddle, WP. I bet you will really enjoy it!!

Well, I used it to drive cattle 7 miles, then had to ride another 3 miles back to the trailer. Had to rebreak my horse too, as he didn't think I was serious about getting a cow turned. That is getting OLD!!!! I wasn't totally stove up, nor did I get unseated, so we might get along with it.

Faster horses said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

guy.

Now that I have my knees fixed, I hope to ride again and since I sold my Earl Twist saddle way back when, I am looking for a saddle. I really like the

FH, you oughta look at the Lady McCalls, hear they make a good light weight saddle for ladies.
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Faster horses said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

guy.

FH, you oughta look at the Lady McCalls, hear they make a good light weight saddle for ladies.
good luck

Lisa has a saddle that looks just like mine. Made by the same guy back in 2001. He cut off quite a bit of weight. With the saddle bags on I'll bet it only weighs 35 pounds. Mine is probably around 45, and my old one is closer to 60.

Nice looking saddle WP, if you get tired of the squeak's set it upside down on the floor and sprinkle a little baby powder into the underwork's.........
you'll smell nicer to :)

Bruce said:
Nice looking saddle WP, if you get tired of the squeak's set it upside down on the floor and sprinkle a little baby powder into the underwork's.........

Gettin most of the squeaks worked out. I have owned it for a week, and I think I have trailed cattle for close to 150 miles so far in it. I have decided that I am going to have to add something to the horn. I am not a true slick horner, and I got blisters to prove it.

LazyWP said:
Bruce said:

Gettin most of the squeaks worked out. I have owned it for a week, and I think I have trailed cattle for close to 150 miles so far in it. I have decided that I am going to have to add something to the horn. I am not a true slick horner, and I got blisters to prove it.

150 divided by 7 = 21.5 ............so what have you been doing after lunch?? lol
I take a lenght of 3 or 4 strand cotton rope and unravel it and wrap my horn with one of the "strand's" little bit more bite than mule hide but still take's some getting used to if your used to rubber. I wrapped my boy's horn with vet wrap and covered with mule hide, look's nice and lot's of bite but it has a tendency to twist if you rope lot's or big.
Definitely the slicker the horn the longer the rope!!!

HAY MAKER said:
Faster horses said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

guy.

good luck

Thanks Haymaker. I have looked at the Lady McCalls quite awhile
back and they only offered them in a slick fork. I really don't want a
slick fork, I'm just not used to them and I'd probably never ride
enough again to get used to one. I sure admire the looks of them
and appreciate the people who ride them, they just aren't for me.
Now for a saddle to set in my office, that would be the kind!! They
look so neat!

I don't even want a new saddle to break in, at this point. Kings
Saddlery at Sheridan, Wyoming has a lot of used saddles so we'll
stop in there and see what they have. Usually there are rows upon
rows to choose from.

Mr.FH got a roping saddle from Rafter W Saddlery in Idaho and it was a good
one, pretty lightweight, especially compared to his custom made
Jerome saddle.

HAY MAKER said:
I dont know of a saddle maker better'n Rafter W...............good luck

You must know him?

Gale Jerome in Montana doesn't make saddles any longer, I don't
think, but at one time he was the 'GO TO' saddlemaker for the
cowboys in SW Montana. He really made good saddles, had a lot
of pride of workmanship and was very particular about the trees
he used. Only problem was, he made all those saddles stout
enough to rope a bull and they were HEAVY. And when you are young,
that's not so bad, but when you get 67 years old with a bad
back, they are just too darn heavy. Mr. FH Jerome saddle is
25 years old, has stood the test of time and is really nice to ride,
after you get it on a horse! :wink:

Faster horses said:
HAY MAKER said:
I dont know of a saddle maker better'n Rafter W...............good luck

You must know him?

Gale Jerome in Montana doesn't make saddles any longer, I don't
think, but at one time he was the 'GO TO' saddlemaker for the
cowboys in SW Montana. He really made good saddles, had a lot
of pride of workmanship and was very particular about the trees
he used. Only problem was, he made all those saddles stout
enough to rope a bull and they were HEAVY. And when you are young,
that's not so bad, but when you get 67 years old with a bad
back, they are just too darn heavy. Mr. FH Jerome saddle is
25 years old, has stood the test of time and is really nice to ride,
after you get it on a horse! :wink:

My brother iis a big fan of Rafter W saddles, all he used still has a couple I been trying to beat him outa one of them for years, lotsa tooling on it which was unusual.
good luck

Bruce said:
LazyWP said:
Bruce said:

150 divided by 7 = 21.5 ............so what have you been doing after lunch?? lol
I take a lenght of 3 or 4 strand cotton rope and unravel it and wrap my horn with one of the "strand's" little bit more bite than mule hide but still take's some getting used to if your used to rubber. I wrapped my boy's horn with vet wrap and covered with mule hide, look's nice and lot's of bite but it has a tendency to twist if you rope lot's or big.

Bruce, I tried the cotton, I didn't like that it didn't seem to last very long. I unravel an old nylon rope and wrap my horn with that. I have tried leaving 2 strands twisted as well as a single strand. I like the single strand the best. With the nylon it is still slick enough to slide but you can stop it. It generally last me at least a year before I have to re-wrap my horn, mainly dragging calves to the branding fire. One of the biggest keys to making a wrap like this last is to put it on clockwise so that every time you dally you are tightening your wrap down instead of loosening it.

flyingS said:
Bruce said:
LazyWP said:

Bruce, I tried the cotton, I didn't like that it didn't seem to last very long. I unravel an old nylon rope and wrap my horn with that. I have tried leaving 2 strands twisted as well as a single strand. I like the single strand the best. With the nylon it is still slick enough to slide but you can stop it. It generally last me at least a year before I have to re-wrap my horn, mainly dragging calves to the branding fire. One of the biggest keys to making a wrap like this last is to put it on clockwise so that every time you dally you are tightening your wrap down instead of loosening it.

Thanks FlyingS, I'll try it with nylon, it would be nice if it lasted better!!

My old saddle, I left some rubber, under the nylon, then wrapped it like Flyin S said. I got 2 year out of mine, but I don't rope near as much as he does either.

Latest posts