• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Steer I Bought

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
This is just for GCreek and BMR. And maybe Yanuck and Turkey Track Bar too. :lol: Here's this year's fuzzball. Weighs 520 pounds, and he's eating about 15 pounds of grain a day. He's gentle as can be, and I love pullin' a comb through that hair. Be cool to see how he turns out. Whoops! :oops: Got the wrong picture in there. Here, let's try this instead of Geometry.

IMG_3376.jpg

Big Muddy rancher said:
So when are you going to post a picture of your steer and WHY are you feeding it 15 pounds of grain a day at 520lbs?

:???: The picture is up right now. I changed it right away. We're feedin' 15 pounds 'cause that's what he'll eat. With luck, he'll weigh in at around 1150 or so come next July for fair. :D

Rainmaker X Mossy Oak bred calf. Mostly Maine and Chi, with a tick of Shorthorn thrown in there way back when.

MYT Farms said:
Rainmaker X Mossy Oak bred calf. Mostly Maine and Chi, with a tick of Shorthorn thrown in there way back when.

Man, you 'mericans like to mix your colors up :shock: :shock: The genuine Maines are red and white as they were bred from British shorthorn cattle exported to Europe hundreds of years ago. Real Chianinas are white with black noses. Real Shorthorns are red, roan or red and white so how does a combination of these produce a black calf :? :roll:
Still I guess he'll qualify for the CAB program (confused about black?) :wink:

MYT Farms said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
So when are you going to post a picture of your steer and WHY are you feeding it 15 pounds of grain a day at 520lbs?

:???: The picture is up right now. I changed it right away. We're feedin' 15 pounds 'cause that's what he'll eat. With luck, he'll weigh in at around 1150 or so come next July for fair. :D

520 lb Oct 25 .Goal mid July 1150 lb , 250 days on feed
thats a bit over 2 pounds of gain per day. 15 pounds of grain now and I am guessing that will be increased as he gets older. Do not care what breed that is NOT efficiency. Project steers were figured at 3 pounds of daily gain several years ago in eastern Colorado. Like to know who is the bandit selling these cattle and doing your math. He sure has fluffy ears

MYT if your into judging cattle and showing why don't you post some good pictures of your steer. That picture is just wrong in so many ways it does nothing for the calf and shows us nothing. :?

Gee whiz, take at easy! My dear mother took them pictures. Hafta say, at first I was a little taken aback at 15 pounds per day, but this steer is simply for show. Last year year I got tired of my steers that gained over 4 pounds a day, converted at 7 to 1, and weighed 1300-1385 pounds. I had the heaviest steer at fair last year and the one entered in the carcass competition graded choice with an estimated YG of 2-3. I've got 7 years experience raising carcass cattle. But you simply can't win with 'em. Yes, I know this is a fur-ball who probably ain't gonna gain incredibly well or win any carcass awards. It's hard to have a show steer and a carcass steer rolled into one, and that's just the cold hard truth at shows. I knew exactly what I was buying when I paid for him, and my judging coach who sold 'em to me is a really great guy. He didn't lie about anything on this steer, I chose to buy it. This year will be fun though because I'm bringing home a LimFlex steer in a couple days that probably has 100 pounds on this fella and was pasture raised at home. As for now, I'll get y'all a better pic later this morning after Spanish class. :D

If you can't win with good cattle why try and win with a poor one-I call them as I see them. That little pudmalliuon isn't gaining any better on 15 pounbds a day than a good yearling will do on grass. I lump show steers with Corrientes-recreation cattle-it's amazing there's a whole industry and culture built around cattle that have no use in the real world. I guess it's the last vestige of zoo breeds like Chianina. Good luck with your project but you have a brighter future breeding real cattle for real people.

MYT Farms said:
It's hard to have a show steer and a carcass steer rolled into one, and that's just the cold hard truth at shows. :D
But isn't the purpose of the show to illustrate the best type of fat cattle :???: :???: I don't think we should be tough on this young man - he's a victim of a whole culture of "show cattle" as NR says. I think the idea of getting kids started in 4H by overfeeding grain to steers is a p.p. introduction to the realities of the cattle business. I guess there is a whole industry feeding off it though - the same feed, chemical and input pimps that try to take the living away from the adult producers.

Latest posts