• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New test facility for BSE in USA??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Kathy

Reaction score
I found this old (2004) News release, and I am wondering if Congressman Mike Roger's, of Alabama, was successful in having the Auburn University designated as a BSE Testing Facility??

If anyone can help answer this question, I would appreciate any updates or info.

Rogers to USDA:
Mad Cow Regs Warrant Auburn Ag Facility

Says New USDA Testing Regulations Require More Testing Sites,
Repeats Request to Sec Veneman to Upgrade Auburn Facility

Washington, DC - The state agriculture testing facility being built on Auburn University's campus should be upgraded to accommodate new USDA testing requirements for Mad Cow Disease, Congressman Mike Rogers said today, repeating his support for upgrading the lab in light of yesterday's USDA announcement that outlines a vastly broader and more aggressive plan to test the nation's cattle herd for BSE.

"The continued safety of our nation's food supply is dependent upon a robust system for testing and evaluating our nation's livestock," Rogers said. "Auburn University will soon host an advanced animal research center, and given the Agriculture Department's new regulations, I believe this new laboratory could be upgraded quickly and easily to help accommodate the increased demand for livestock testing.

"In January I asked Agriculture Secretary Veneman to upgrade the Auburn facility, and I repeat that request today. Auburn University has an outstanding veterinary school and animal research center, and since the only facility capable of testing for BSE is in Ames, Iowa, it only seems logical that USDA would consider this request.

"Upgrading Auburn's research center is a common sense approach to better protecting the nation's food supply, and an efficient solution to a pressing national priority. I respectfully ask Secretary Veneman to act quickly on this request and thank her and USDA officials for their continued leadership on this important food safety issue."

The Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries is building the $11.5 million facility at Auburn. Rogers said upgrading the facility to handle USDA BSE testing would cost approximately $2 million, money he has requested from USDA this year.

I'm disappointed nobody from Alabama has answered this question on here. I've sent the question directly to the University, but, where are you Mike - couldn't you find out about this since you live close by?

Kathy said:
I'm disappointed nobody from Alabama has answered this question on here. I've sent the question directly to the University, but, where are you Mike - couldn't you find out about this since you live close by?

Been busy Kathy, have only stopped by here a few times in the last two weeks.
Auburn is in the process of upgrading the labs and vet facilities. The Russian vets working on the patents we spoke of earlier are working in a off-school lab. The Dr's I spoke to didn't know where.

New testing lab will be a couple of years away. Big thing at Auburn now is all the racehorses coming in from Kentucky, Tennessee, and Florida for various treatments. Like I always say, "follow the money". They have a new MRI machine big enough for an elephant and it's busy 24 hours a day.

Thanks Mike, we've been busy too. Our phone line has been buggered for a week and we have had no access to the internet for that time either.

When I was 16, I wanted to run away and go to Kentucky to work in the horse barns. I never missed watching the Kentucky Derby until I was in my late 20's. I sure liked the movie Seabiscuit, and the book was even better.

Keep on top of these Russian scientists, eh!

Latest posts