• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New thought~Let's get some input on this!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I have only seen it in crested one year, took it in and had someone look at it and they agreed that was what it was. Had a neighbor lose some cows from boughten hay one year from it. Had lots of death vetch here this year, rains came at the right time for it I guess.

The difference between cow mineral and horse mineral, rancher?

Well, cow mineral is for cows and horse mineral is for horses. :wink:

Sorry! Just couldn't resist.

Actually, I am not sure. Will have to go check it out. I do know there is a difference though. But even cow mineral to your horses is better than no mineral as horses do have mineral requirements. People who raise colts really need mineral. Helps with strong joints, etc.

Faster horses said:
The difference between cow mineral and horse mineral, rancher?

Well, cow mineral is for cows and horse mineral is for horses. :wink:

Sorry! Just couldn't resist.

Actually, I am not sure. Will have to go check it out. I do know there is a difference though. But even cow mineral to your horses is better than no mineral as horses do have mineral requirements. People who raise colts really need mineral. Helps with strong joints, etc.

You will see lots of contracted tendons, problems with the legs in colts born to mares without mineral. I just thought since it is horse mineral it is more expensive because it says HORSE on it.

Faster horses said:
While looking at a new customer's registered Angus herd~we were there looking at potential hoofrot and cows with cracked feet~we came up with a theory as to why cattle get cracks in their toes. Let me run our theory by all of you here and see what you might think.

As far as I know, NO ONE really has the answer for why we see cracks in cows toes. Do you agree that it is usually the front feet and USUALLY THE OUTSIDE TOE?

Yeah, that's what we thought too.

So, there was a young cow there that had frozen her front feet badly as a calf. They knew it, they kept the her and gave her to one of the kids. This (now a two-year old) cow was standing right in front of us with bad cracks in both outside toes. I mused, "maybe it is caused from their feet getting frozen." I pointed to the young cow, "Right there is some evidence."

We mulled it over as a distinct possiblity. And agreed it could, maybe, possibly be from that.

Then the kicker: the cow laid down. When she did, what was exposed to the elements? THE OUTSIDE TOE (coronary band and all) OF THE FRONT FOOT. No kidding. And if she laid on the other side, it would be the outside toe on the other foot. Now one back foot was exposed, but it was mostly the bottom of the hind foot, which would break the icy wind from getting to the flesh.

The coronary band was exposed on the front foot. So we thought about this: The calf is born, and it is cold. Maybe or maybe not her ears got frozen. Now it seems to me that you see way more heifer calves with frozen ears than steer calves; I think more heifers survive the cold. Now if the ears are frozen there is buyer resistance, because they say when put on feed, the feet go to heck. So the flesh gets frozen; not enough to notice much as a calf, but enough to break down the integrity of the hoof; and/or interferes with circulation in that area of the foot.

Okay, now we keep these heifer calves. We don't see anything wrong with their feet until they get a little older and are heavy~from mature weight or with calf~and then a crack will show up in maybe one toe. Could this be a manifestation of what happened to her foot as a baby?

One other thing we considered. When these cows with bad cracks get up after laying down, they will shake or act like that foot is numb. Like possibly there is some poor circulation in that foot.

There you have it. What do you think? Is it a possiblity?
Or do you think cracks in toes are hereditary; or from feed, possibly?
Remember, out here cattle don't get much, if any grain.

Appreciate your comments and input! :idea:
Lots of GOOD info here!

Cattle Today (Online) has incredible sources of information and one of those sources is Dr. Steve Blezinger who is a regular contributor to the articles published online. There is a great article on Foot Rot by him which was published in October 2000. You can find that article and many more by going to "Dog Pile" and Search "Foot Rot - Cattle" Great information.

Your detective work and concentrated thinking is a good start, but most of the possibilities are ethereal, so check in on this source and - choose your weapons!

Rancher:

Posion Vetch and Princes Plume are selenium accumulaters, that is why they are posionous. I am not sure what other plants that may be too.

Posion Vetch has pale yellow blossoms, I believe this is the plant that they say smells like horse urine. I found some once along Hwy 18 to get a picture for my book, I don't believe it is growing there anymore, was probably sprayed and killed.

Clarence said:
Rancher:

Posion Vetch and Princes Plume are selenium accumulaters, that is why they are posionous. I am not sure what other plants that may be too.

Posion Vetch has pale yellow blossoms, I believe this is the plant that they say smells like horse urine. I found some once along Hwy 18 to get a picture for my book, I don't believe it is growing there anymore, was probably sprayed and killed.
Clarence - are you writing a book on "Poisonous Plants" - - or Horse Urine? Strictly from a Biochemical point of view, either subject would be an interesting study in "Bouquets".

No Doc.

I started to put together an inventory of the plants and grasses that are found in my area. Got rather carried away with the subject. You would be surprised of the things I learned. Anyway now this is something I have to give to my neices and nephews as heritage.

Clarence said:
No Doc.

I started to put together an inventory of the plants and grasses that are found in my area. Got rather carried away with the subject. You would be surprised of the things I learned. Anyway now this is something I have to give to my neices and nephews as heritage.
I see! :shock:

I can picture it now:....... the grieving family sitting around a large, ornately carved Oak Library table. Tears are in evidence..... and Kleenex tissues abound in convenient locations about the room. Several important-appearing legal papers lie unobtrusively about albeit in prominent and felicitous locations on the highly polished and gleaming surface of the huge console table.

The suave, distinguished, and natilly-dressed gentlemen at the end of the table slowly rose and addressed the assemblage of family and mourners. "Dear Friends," he intoned, with a slight tremor in his voice, and pausing almost imperceptably, "We are come together this day for the purpose of hearkening to the rendering of the Last Will and Testament of our dear and departed Friend, Benefactor and Uncle Clarence. We all deplore and regret his untimely demise - - - however we have good news and bad news. The good news is - - he has left all of his extensive work concerning "Horse Urine" to his Nieces and Nephews, to share and share alike. The bad news is he is not present to witness and celebrate your unbounded joy in receiving this prestigous and priceless tome! I m certan he is with us in spirit, essence and elixir!"

Clarence - please don't take offense at my effort to a little humor. Mrs. DOC thinks I am squirrelly. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Clarence said:
No Doc.

Clarence if I make it to deadwood I would sure enjoy to see what you have put together if it's not to much trouble. We have a Native Prairie appreciation week every year in Sask. and do a tour of different ranch country. Quite a eye opener for different plants just within southern Sasak.

I am not sure what you are getting at Doc. We have copied and printed about 100 copies of my book with the computer. I have about 6 copies left now. If you think there might be some uswhile purpose, I could send you a copy. Might even be able to get one on a CD. I can't do that though.

It has been suggested that I have it published, but with the very limited market I would have and the cost I will not do that. It has about 450 pages, a few are blank or are only partly filled. May have about 200 pictures. I am not a professional in this field, just put down what I have picked up. Would be the first to admit that somethings may not be right.

Clarence said:
I am not sure what you are getting at Doc. We have copied and printed about 100 copies of my book with the computer. I have about 6 copies left now. If you think there might be some uswhile purpose, I could send you a copy. Might even be able to get one on a CD. I can't do that though.

It has been suggested that I have it published, but with the very limited market I would have and the cost I will not do that. It has about 450 pages, a few are blank or are only partly filled. May have about 200 pictures. I am not a professional in this field, just put down what I have picked up. Would be the first to admit that somethings may not be right.
Clarence - I was just kidding! Goofy sense of humor is all. Didn't mean to disparage your work. It sounds as if you could really extend it into a very worthwhile treatise - maybe use it for an advanced degree. Don't laugh! I have seen PhD's get their letters with work that is not nearly as pragmatic as yours seems to be.

Forgive me if I my goofy sense of humor seemed to make fun of you. I didn't mean it to be that serious.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts