• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New to forum

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cow chaser

Reaction score
Hi,
Finally decided to join your forum here, I've browsed through your topics several times from pinkeye doctoring to mineral programs and picked up alot of good info. We just lost our lease here and are looking for something new if anyone has any options they know about.

Thanks

i've been in those shoes.don't know ya or anymore about ya....but I do know where there is a 1000 acres coming up for rent and Wal-Mart his hiring.

Should clarify a little on my post also. We're looking at some different places and figured this might be a good place to get some honest answers about stocking rates and wintering expectations from people close to the areas. Seems realtors sure like to fill a guy full of it.

Can anybody give me any ideas on what the country between Melstone and Winnett, Montana is like?

The area around Winnett is variable. Most is rolling sage country with about 13 inches of annual precipitation. Petroleum county is mainly made up of cattle ranches with 300 head cow calf herds and up. Generally not much available grazing ground to lease.

I think I'd knuckle down where your at. Pretty tough for someone from outside the area to get a toe hold it can be done but it's tough unless you've got the money to buy a bunch of land. Or outbid a bunch of established ranchers and make enemies at the same time.

Stocking rates around Winnett vary as to amount of bottom lands, creeks, and farming practices. In general, but highly variable, most I know run about one pair per 30 acres. Lower towards the Missouri breaks and rugged country, a little more towards the Snowies where precipitation is higher.

Around Winnett, I would look at a 5,000 acre ranch as supporting 150 -225 pairs, again highly variable as to if the ranch is balanced, buying hay etc. A 5,000 acre east of the Mussleshell river in the sage country and away from the mountains most likely cannot be stocked as heavy. Very general statements.

Thanks for the info Roundup, do you guys bury under with snow quite a bit in that country?

Another question for you, I have seen quite a few places up for sale on the Musselshell, is there alot of older guys getting out or is there quite a bit of invester types pushing in?

Thanks again

There is not a lot of snow in the area. Occasional dumps but they tend to melt rather quickly when compared to higher elevations.

Investors are in much of Montana but tend to be more in the scenic areas ( mountains, streams, lakes etc) and in lands containing good elk hunting and fertile grain farming opportunities. I am only guessing, but would think that central Montana east of Winnett or Melstone is not what I would call " prime " recreational or grain farming investment area. Prime is a relative term however.

Yes, ranchers are getting older and much of the next generation leaves for higher paying jobs such as in the mineral or energy sector.

Montana is similar to E SD in stocking rates but every area is a little different. Where to look???? Well try in a big circle around Miles City. The area you mentioned is good, also try in a Circle around Havre. There is a real nice ranch south of Box Elder listed with Flynn Reality out of Havre that is bargain priced and they may even consider a lease.......... the gent selling is old and just wants out, it has been for sale well over a year with several price reductions. Some nice units close to Harlem, and Chinook on the high line also. PM me I will help you look. Just like one of the other posters said if you stay away from the scenic areas you can still get good productive land the average for pasture land in Montana 800/A irrigated runs 3000+ they throw in the buildings on most places when they get ranch sized and charge the most for a 20A place near a scenic city like Bozeman or Kalispell

cow chaser said:
Should clarify a little on my post also. We're looking at some different places and figured this might be a good place to get some honest answers about stocking rates and wintering expectations from people close to the areas. Seems realtors sure like to fill a guy full of it.

Can anybody give me any ideas on what the country between Melstone and Winnett, Montana is like?

Relator AUM, Extension what it can possibly carry AUMs , Then what a good steward runs

Not sure what you mean by........

"What a good steward runs"....

All ranchers have a moral obligation to try and improve the land.......they have been given custody of.

A "good steward"........does his/her best to try and improve the land.

graybull said:

All ranchers have a moral obligation to try and improve the land.......they have been given custody of.

The Realtor will have high AUM's trying to sell the place.

Extension will have it rated to charge a lease ect.

A Good steward will run what it can actually run to improve the grass which will be lower then the other two's rate..

The 3 will not likely be that same. :D

Yes, very much what I'm looking for. Realtors seem to be at least 20% too high and the lease we just lost had to be run on the NRCP's grazing plan due to EQUIP money the guy got years ago. So much grass piled up that it is choking itself out in spots. [/img]

140730_0002.jpg
[/url]

This is the kind of grass I am having to leave behind this year. The yellow is sweet clover.[/img]

Big Muddy rancher said:
graybull said:

The Realtor will have high AUM's trying to sell the place.

Extension will have it rated to charge a lease ect.

A Good steward will run what it can actually run to improve the grass which will be lower then the other two's rate..

The 3 will not likely be that same. :D

Very well said.

Latest posts