• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Zealand Model, Subsidies.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
Ok, I believe in removing most if not all subsidies. I have heard about the sucess New Zealand has had in doing so.

So where do we begin?

One would have to spend some time understanding new ones. The corporate farms would be a great place to start looking.

I thought of a couple but they may of changed over the years. Our new government may go to town on trimming them out.

One thing would be to understand that NZ did more than eliminate ag subsidies, they eliminated a great many things across their society. Just eliminating ag subs wouldn't have worked.

For example, the school budgets were cut to the point where in many cases they no longer had janitors, the parents took turns cleaning the schools.

Think your non-farm neighbours are ready to kick in their share of the pain?

Hay Feeder, with over 95%, maybe more than 98% of US farms being FAMILY OWNED & OPERATED, which of family "corporate" farm do you plan to "start looking" to cut subsidies to?

mrj

I our area of the country coperate (sp) dairys and hog farms have put our local produces completely out of business. If there becomes another dairy buy out well....
I did not know that 98% of all farms were family owned and operated thanks for that info.

this is an interesting read.

http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/feature/0303/newzealand_subsidies.shtml

How all this would translate to an agriculture economy as large as the U.S. or E.U. is anyone's guess. Their success is easy to see when you see just how large the agriculture sector of the economy is. The article says that 800 farmers went out of the business. They also say that is 1% of farms. This means that New Zealand is a country, by this calculation, that has about 8000 farms. That's not a lot of farms. How many farmers would 1% of the U.S. be? I bet 800 would only cover one small state.

I can also see why New Zealand is touting the benefits of subsidy free agriculture. Who wouldn't? The rest of the world's governments are subsidizing the competition, which puts NZ at a disadvantage. The only way to even that out is by either jumping into the subsidy game, or talking others out of it.

Kato said:
this is an interesting read.

http://newfarm.rodaleinstitute.org/feature/0303/newzealand_subsidies.shtml

How all this would translate to an agriculture economy as large as the U.S. or E.U. is anyone's guess. Their success is easy to see when you see just how large the agriculture sector of the economy is. The article says that 800 farmers went out of the business. They also say that is 1% of farms. This means that New Zealand is a country, by this calculation, that has about 8000 farms. That's not a lot of farms. How many farmers would 1% of the U.S. be? I bet 800 would only cover one small state.

I can also see why New Zealand is touting the benefits of subsidy free agriculture. Who wouldn't? The rest of the world's governments are subsidizing the competition, which puts NZ at a disadvantage. The only way to even that out is by either jumping into the subsidy game, or talking others out of it.

Yep

Our moron President wants to eliminate farm subsidies on "Big Farms" grossing 500,000................give me a break. Gross sales of $500,000 @ year is a small family farm today! You can gross over $100,000 with 100 acres of corn and 100 acres of soybeasn! Is a 200 acres farm a "Big Farm"? This shows you how out of touch the idiot we have in the White House and the Liberal Congress is out of touch with modern agriculture in the US. So, if these idiots in DC get their way on this one...we will see what few family farms we have left go under. It appears we want to import all our food since it is working so well with oil! :roll:
Subsidies provided the food animal industry cheap feed for years, unfortunately those that fed livestock did not learn to buy them at a price they could return a profit. Take these farm programs away and we will have a reduced supply of feed grains and $5.00 Corn to feed 60 cent feeders to fat cattle prices of 50 cents. That is what will result. I have never had so many inquiries from folks that have grass to lease......that should tell you something. Are we approaching the day when we do not need to graze every acres available and plant every acre that can grow corn, beans, and wheat? What is wrong with $1.25 feeders....90cent + fars, and $5.00 corn????

What's wrong with allowing the market to restructure based on real costs? I'm still not conviced we need farmers nursing on the government tit to stay in business.

Ben I tend to agree with what you are saying. The bad thing is we need a net to catch some at the bottom. If you let the farmers fall by the wayside when things get tough, who picks up the slack when we need the production? Does the average person have a clue what it would cost to gear up from scratch to farm a section of ground? What we may end up with is a handfull of huge co.'s doing the whole thing. Look at banks and insurance co. now if you want to see what happens with only a handfull of players.

I can't disagree with you on that one, part of me believe we need to preserve our food production system for National Security reasons, but that argument makes me believe a local food system is even more important in case the system (transportation) breaks down.

I think the national security issue of keeping our land productive and the cheap food policy are differnt issies. I feel the cheap food policy benefits the big guys and not the smaller ones.

Latest posts