• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Newer Computor?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
Husband is complaining that our present computor is too slow.
Driving me crazy with his complaints about it.
It is a Gateway that we got a couple of years ago. It has Windows XP in it.
He wants one that goes quicker through the web sites. We have satilite internet with a 100.0 Mbps
Have Norton and Spyware Stop in it.
Ran a scan from both, a defrag, and a disc clean up.
he still thinks it should go faster.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Phone your internet provider and tell them to put you back on the satelite you paid for. Whether they have moved you or not at least you will know.
As providers get more customers they do move unknowing ones to less efficient satelites.

Yanuck I was thinking more along the lines of a boot placed somewhere. :wink:
I went on the Dell website and found a possible replacement. An XPS 420.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Yanuck I was thinking more along the lines of a boot placed somewhere. :wink:
I went on the Dell website and found a possible replacement. An XPS 420.

both of our computers are Dell's, we have a laptop, Dell inspiron 1520, and its great, the other is also a Dell but a desk top and I can't remember what but its also good. The only thing I don't care for is you have to buy ink online or at Staples, and we are no where near a store.

I quit using Norton because it was slowing my computer down when I was on the net. Is yours just slow on the internet? Or all the time? I found after a while that the Norton security features would get out of hand, and twice got so bad that I couldn't even get onto the internet! Switched to AVG, and I like that much better.

get rid of Norton, I did on the advice of an IT technician. It has really helped, he downloaded AGV on my computers. He cost about $140 a year to service and cleanup computer issues. Well worth the cost on my end since I am only a user not an expert :)

Listen to the AVG Free advice. Norton is terrible with slowly consuming resources.

However, on the slow internet thing, I find it unlikely that its the computer at all, but rather the satellite service. Your Internet Explorer may be stuffed full of plugins as well.

I used to re-format and re-install Windows XP once every year, just to clean up temporary files and get things back in-line. Should you decide to buy another computer, the Dell computers are exceptionally well built and well supported.

Rod

Most everyone agrees Norton is bad, I started using Avira over AVG a few weeks ago as AVG missed something. According to all the computer forums AVG is going downhill with the new version.

Have you tried a speedtest on your service?

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

You might download and install CCleaner as it will get rid of a lot of junk on your computer.

Im real careful about which cleaner I download,some of them are bad news,especially the free ones.
Windows has one that has given me good results,if you want the link,let me know...................good luck

Ditch the Norton....go AVG

After an exlposion on the main desk top....I came up with a Dell laptop Studio 1535 with all the bells and whistles.

It's got Vista..64 bit and I've not had one bit of trouble out of Vista.

It's super fast and I have DSL.

Plenty of storage, speed and I went and set up the wireless deal here in the house. Since my office is here, I can work on the main desktop OR the laptop in any part of the house. It's great.

Thanks everyone. I had AVG on my older computor, my son has it now, no internet; I better get it on here.

I have not had a good experience with Gateway. Was told that this computor was faster then the old one and more memory, boy did I get duped.

Tom I will try the speed test. Did it once with the support team and everything was fine. Cat was lying on the connector box and was unplugging my internet that time. :roll: :lol: Dang cat.

kola should I upgrade to a 6kg for memory instead of the 4kg?
Hasn't the Vista been having problems or did they finally fix it?

I Luv Herfrds said:
Thanks everyone. I had AVG on my older computor, my son has it now, no internet; I better get it on here.

I have not had a good experience with Gateway. Was told that this computor was faster then the old one and more memory, boy did I get duped.

Tom I will try the speed test. Did it once with the support team and everything was fine. Cat was lying on the connector box and was unplugging my internet that time. :roll: :lol: Dang cat.

kola should I upgrade to a 6kg for memory instead of the 4kg?
Hasn't the Vista been having problems or did they finally fix it?

I'd say the memory size depends on what you want to do/save on the 'puter. If the larger memory isn't gonna cost you a whole lot more, why not? :lol:

Just make sure you get plenty of RAM memory...that's where your speed issues will improve greatly.

I heard rumors of Vista problems, but I'm on this one day in and day out and I've not had one problem of any sort. It's like everything, you only hear the bad things about something usually. I surely can't complain.

I Luv Herfrds said:
We have satilite internet with a 100.0 Mbps
Do you have Hughes? I've been slowed down by the "Fair Access Policy" before. Here this link tells about it.

http://go.gethughesnet.com/faq/1_06faq.cfm?hf=0

On the memory side, 4MB is plenty of mainboard memory. Going to 6, if its even an option for the machine you choose, means going with 2 - 2MB sticks and 2 - 1MB sticks. The 2MB sticks are more money than 2 1MB sticks right now.

If you do decide to go with a new machine, Dell currently has a nice Q8300 quad core machine on sale for $899 Cdn. 4MB of mainboard memory, 22 inch monitor, 650GB 7200 RPM drive. You'd want to upgrade the video card for home use (gaming), but otherwise its a good machine. Its not an XPS, but rather one of the lower line (Dimension e520).

Most of the guys having Vista issues are running ATI mainboards. Go Intel. You just won't have an issue. I've been running Vista since it came out, and I like it.

But before you buy remember this: The 4 year old low end Celerons at work surf the net just as fast as my Q6600 quad core machine at home. Surfing is not a horsepower power hungry job. You want mainboard memory and a fast hard drive and thats about it.

Rod

Ned got Wild Blue offered through our phone company. Was worried if I was "using" more then my share, talked to the tech support and we looked at what my share was and I was way below where I could of been.

Thanks Kola and Diamond I appreciate the info.

Oops, I lied to ya. The machine I spec'ed out for work was an Inspiron 530 for $769 Cdn. Still a Q8300 Quad core machine with a 640 MB 7200 RPM HD. 22 inch monitor as well.

Got the AVG installed and the Norton removed. Computor is running faster. Both the Spyware Stop and AVG caught a "bug" that got into my computor that the Norton missed.
Took a complete scan by AVG and a scan from Spyware to finally get it out.
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. :D

Latest posts