• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

News is CATTLECO ,Food industry unites to fight terrorism

Help Support Ranchers.net:

PORKER

Reaction score
The news is CATTLECO ,Food industry unites to fight terrorism

Huge costs of terror attack on US milk supply

Risk management advice soothes food recall dangers and disasters?

Agency consolidation shown to improve food safety

FDA demands budget for food security

Food industry unites to fight terrorism with M'ID

All news for August 2005

A new collaboration between government and private industry has been initiated in order to protect the nation's food supply from terrorist threats.

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has joined forces with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to counter possible instances of agroterrorism.

"Ensuring the safety of our nation's food supply is a top priority for President Bush and USDA," said agriculture secretary Mike Johanns.

"This partnership demonstrates our commitment as government and the private sector work together to protect our agricultural commodities from terrorism. We look forward to working with our partners."

The announcement of the partnership comes after a report into vulnerability of the US milk supply chain criticised the Food and Drug Administration for not imposing stricter regulations on the food and drink industry generally.

Around 10g of botulinum toxin released into central milk storage tanks would be enough to poison almost half a million people, according a new report by Yifan Liu and Lawrence Wein of Stanford University.

The report, which was quashed by US authorities, was released unchanged last month.

The Strategic Partnership Program Agroterrorism (SPPA) Initiative, as it is called, supports President Bush's requirements directing the government to work closely with states and industry to secure the nation's food supply. Announced last week at the Food and Agriculture Sector Coordinating Council meeting, four pilot visits will be conducted in September and October.

The purpose of these visits is to assess and identify vulnerabilities in the agriculture and food sectors.

"As one of the lead federal agencies charged with protecting our nation's food supply, the FDA fully supports this initiative encouraging a closer working relationship with our partners in federal and state government, as well as the private sector to make the nation's food even safer," said FDA Commissioner Dr. Lester Crawford.

"This partnership brings together all of the organizations that have the best knowledge and abilities in safeguarding the food we eat such as beef starting from the farm all the way to our kitchen tables."

Over the next year, teams of federal and state officials will travel to all 50 states to meet with all sectors of the food chain. Together, the federal, state and private industry partners will discuss security issues from farm-to-table and consider ways to better protect our food supply.

"We are pleased to participate in this important initiative to enhance the overall security of our nation's food and agricultural infrastructure," said Robert Stephan, Assistant Secretary for Infrastructure Protection, US Department of Homeland Security.

"The health of our citizens and our economy depend on our ability to conduct assessments, validate field information and provide guidance that can be shared with our federal, state and local, tribal as well as private sector partners."

These visits will help the federal partners better consider how states and industry can protect the food supply, gain more information about the food industry's protection needs and assist government and private industry in refining its efforts including research and development goals.

This effort is the second major joint initiative for the federal partners. this year the FBI, with the support of DHS, USDA and FDA hosted the first ever International Symposium for Agrosecurity in Kansas City, Mo.

This should fit right in with Ot's argument about ID and mCOOL.

For a person that has risked his life at the end of many guns, he should be thankful that terrioism will be fought in this manner.

For a person that has put his life in danger from the start of his career as a law enforcement agent, and being confronted with the danger of a criminal with weapons, he should be very well versed in the probablity of being "hit" with BSE

By the way OT, how many times were you ever confronted by a gun wielding bandit?

How many times did you discharge you gun? For that matter, how many times did you ever pull your gun?

Dangerous times we live in, eh?

Murgen said:

For a person that has risked his life at the end of many guns, he should be thankful that terrioism will be fought in this manner.

For a person that has put his life in danger from the start of his career as a law enforcement agent, and being confronted with the danger of a criminal with weapons, he should be very well versed in the probablity of being "hit" with BSE

By the way OT, how many times were you ever confronted by a gun wielding bandit?

How many times did you discharge you gun? For that matter, how many times did you ever pull your gun?

Murgen- I don' know where your mind goes to sometimes :?

This article does remind me of the other day when the Trans-X reefer trucks pulled into the Dairy Queen- you should have seen the look on the little old ladies when the bearded turban wearer drivers got out....Should have seen the look on my wifes face when I informed her that Trans-X is the Canadian beef haulers that haul all that Canadian beef product to the US :???: ...... There are lots of food system terrorism means already available-- and some we just give to them :???: OOPS- Guess I'm guilty of profiling- but I never did say I was politically correct.......

The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) has joined forces with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to counter possible instances of agroterrorism.
This all works with M'ID and traceback from Field to Fork or Pasture to Plate using every countries producers an food handlers premises codes.

Murgen- I don' know where your mind goes to sometimes

This article does remind me of the other day when the Trans-X reefer trucks pulled into the Dairy Queen- you should have seen the look on the little old ladies when the bearded turban wearer drivers got out....Should have seen the look on my wifes face when I informed her that Trans-X is the Canadian beef haulers that haul all that Canadian beef product to the US ...... There are lots of food system terrorism means already available-- and some we just give to them OOPS- Guess I'm guilty of profiling- but I never did say I was politically correct.......

I don't expect you to follow me and my mind OT. But once again, you have shown your ignoranance and pure bigotism. It must be nice to be perfect in your world!

Porker ,
Somedays you do an incredible job of documenting your ignorance!
My only response to your post is...................SO? :roll:

Porker ,
Somedays you do an incredible job of documenting your ignorance!
And yes CattleCo you do a jackass a service.

I hope so....I've rode some pretty good mules! Have a good one! :roll:

reader (the Second) said:
Oldtimer said:
Murgen said:

Murgen- I don' know where your mind goes to sometimes :?

This article does remind me of the other day when the Trans-X reefer trucks pulled into the Dairy Queen- you should have seen the look on the little old ladies when the bearded turban wearer drivers got out....Should have seen the look on my wifes face when I informed her that Trans-X is the Canadian beef haulers that haul all that Canadian beef product to the US :???: ...... There are lots of food system terrorism means already available-- and some we just give to them :???: OOPS- Guess I'm guilty of profiling- but I never did say I was politically correct.......

Of course turbans are indicative of Sikhs who are not Muslims. A Sikh was shot to death in a hate crime right after 9/11.

We had a similar incident right after 9/11 when we arranged to meet the truck driver who was hauling my daughter's car across the country in a nearby parking lot, just off the Interstate. Turned out he was an Arab - very clearly - driving an enormous X-wheeler and the parking lot was next to a critical Federal building. An armed policeman came running out just as my black haired bearded husband got out of the car to greet the truck driver. I rushed out since I'm very non-threatening looking -- Middle America, middle aged, short, female.

reader- I don't know if these were turbans or rags- looked the same to me as those worn by the former leaders of Afghanistan......And I do know that a few years ago some of the Canadian and US sikh groups in this area were being watched closely because of connections with and believed funding of terrorist activity in India- There were also some Shite groups just across the line in Canada that had connections to everything--been out of the loop long enough that I don't know what is happening now....

Either way I think I'd take up wearing a hat or whatever the locals do rather than the rag with the changing world-I see where the International Association of Chiefs of Police just adopted a shoot to kill policy on suspects fitting a suicide bombers profile-- shoot for the head in hopes of keeping them from triggering the device- same as they are now doing in the UK....Makes sense- I don't know of many cops that want to volunteer to go up and pat them down :???: :wink: ......

reader- I don't know if these were turbans or rags- looked the same to me as those worn by the former leaders of Afghanistan......And I do know that a few years ago some of the Canadian and US sikh groups in this area were being watched closely because of connections with and believed funding of terrorist activity in India- There were also some Shite groups just across the line in Canada that had connections to everything--been out of the loop long enough that I don't know what is happening now

Everything is Canada's fault, but where did all the terrorists come from? They were living in the US.

Don't try to blame your problems on others OT, and you might have a better time solving your problems.

YOu have shown your bigotry many times here, you can not backpeddle now!

Murgen said:
reader- I don't know if these were turbans or rags- looked the same to me as those worn by the former leaders of Afghanistan......And I do know that a few years ago some of the Canadian and US sikh groups in this area were being watched closely because of connections with and believed funding of terrorist activity in India- There were also some Shite groups just across the line in Canada that had connections to everything--been out of the loop long enough that I don't know what is happening now

Everything is Canada's fault, but where did all the terrorists come from? They were living in the US.

Don't try to blame your problems on others OT, and you might have a better time solving your problems.

YOu have shown your bigotry many times here, you can not backpeddle now!

I forgot- Canadians aren't at war--they wouldn't understand these things--If they need help they will call on France :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts