• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

nfu - major disaster unfolding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

very good comments about weather and movement of hay etc.

this may be of interest. food production and weather are so very connected.

http://www.naturalnews.com/036583_geoengineering_Bill_Gates_global_warming.html#ixzz21fn2SqdE

Bill Gates funds scheme to spray artificial 'planet-cooling' sulfur particles into atmosphere

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 by: Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

comments follow

beethoven said:
OT i believe you are correct, and the rationale is that the load must be weed free

YOU CAN FIND IT BUT YOU CAN'T GET IT HOME

Finding hay for clients has been a challenge the past few weeks and looks as though it will continue to be a struggle. The drought circle is big so competition is keen and freight has become a huge factor. Ranchers are at their wits end trying to decide if they should buy high dollar hay or sell down and already sold down cow herd.

Get this, our neighbors to the North have a bumper hay crop and have had for several years. There in lies the problem. They haven't had a need to transport hay so consequently all the Canadian hay truckers have found other ways to make a living. Canadian hay raisers can't find trucks to move the product South. U.S. truckers are finding it difficult to get licensed and legal for crossing the border. Have they been quilty of taking business away from the folks up North? I think not.

But I do find it interesting that Billings, Montana can have the driest year in over 66 years and 250 miles North of us hay is in abundance yet we can't get it across the border where it is so badly needed. Wouldn't you know it, our congressmen are busy running for office while our trucks are standing still. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have cows starving on one side and hay rotting on the other side of an imaginary line when you're in the cow business.

http://billpelton.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&max-results=21

Yep Beethoven I think that is part of it-- even Bill Pelton (who has been searching the country for folks to find them hay ) is talking about it in his blog..

This is one of the reasons our neighbors to the north had hay for sale early this spring for $30 a T or OBO...

Oldtimer said:
beethoven said:
OT i believe you are correct, and the rationale is that the load must be weed free

Finding hay for clients has been a challenge the past few weeks and looks as though it will continue to be a struggle. The drought circle is big so competition is keen and freight has become a huge factor. Ranchers are at their wits end trying to decide if they should buy high dollar hay or sell down and already sold down cow herd.

Get this, our neighbors to the North have a bumper hay crop and have had for several years. There in lies the problem. They haven't had a need to transport hay so consequently all the Canadian hay truckers have found other ways to make a living. Canadian hay raisers can't find trucks to move the product South. U.S. truckers are finding it difficult to get licensed and legal for crossing the border. Have they been quilty of taking business away from the folks up North? I think not.

But I do find it interesting that Billings, Montana can have the driest year in over 66 years and 250 miles North of us hay is in abundance yet we can't get it across the border where it is so badly needed. Wouldn't you know it, our congressmen are busy running for office while our trucks are standing still. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have cows starving on one side and hay rotting on the other side of an imaginary line when you're in the cow business.

http://billpelton.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-07:00&max-results=21

Yep Beethoven I think that is part of it-- even Bill Pelton (who has been searching the country for folks to find them hay ) is talking about it in his blog..

This is one of the reasons our neighbors to the north had hay for sale early this spring for $30 a T or OBO...

"It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have cows starving on one side and hay rotting on the other side of an imaginary line when you're in the cow business."

It didn't make much sense when we had cows north of that imaginary line and they couldn't cross it either. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Oldtimer said:
beethoven said:

"It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have cows starving on one side and hay rotting on the other side of an imaginary line when you're in the cow business."

It didn't make much sense when we had cows north of that imaginary line and they couldn't cross it either. :?

But you seem to forget that prior to that- and what set the precedence for NAFTA cattle trade- it was cattle south of the line that couldn't go north because Canuckland proclaimed "ALL US CATTLE ARE DISEASED"- even those running fenceline to fenceline with Canadian cattle... :(

Yep its sad that what was once an almost totally open border has had so many $ politics played over it that it is now 10 times as hard to cross or trade across...

What does that have to do with the problem at hand oldtimer?? other than it gives you a hance to glow steam off against Canada which we already know you hate.

hopalong said:
What does that have to do with the problem at hand oldtimer?? other than it gives you a hance to glow steam off against Canada which we already know you hate.

I don't know Hoppy- ask Big Muddy, as he seems to want to change the subject ....

Here is another of Bills blog posts that is on subject...

Thursday, July 12, 2012

WHAT THE HAY?
Where are hay prices headed? It appears to be supply and demand at it's finest, however, when greed and ingorance enter the equation, look out! A trucker/haybroker friend and I put in an 18 hour day and 780 miles yesterday in search of hay for our clients. Yes, there's lots of hay in Northern Montana (where they get rain) but little or none that hasn't already been spoken for. If you need hay, you could be too late! The highways were lined with hay trucks headed West and the country roads were loaded with hay seekers knocking on doors ready to buy on the spot. It's a frenzy I wouldn't have believed had I not experienced it first hand.

Fortunately we landed several hundred ton of high quality, put up right, alfala thru a business contact who had promisied to hold his supply (24 hours) until we could get there for a look. At another location, we found a couple hundred ton of the 'Turd Maker' kind that was put up dry (a little cheat grass) and at the advice of my trucker friend, not freightable.

Where's it all headed? I shipped pairs to Western Montana last week off an outfit that had to cut numbers due to drought and two of their neighbors showed up at the chute saying they too were overstocked and were seeking answers. This week they were splitting pairs at the Billings sale barn and many yearlings are coming off grass early. We'll most likely see some early weaning in the near future. How's this going to affect the calf prices down the road? Where are corn prices going? Can we believe the government numbers? Shall we buy hay or sell cows? Demand for quality protein and the taste of beef combined with variable weather patterns can be in interesting dynamic at best.

Oldtimer said:
hopalong said:

I don't know Hoppy- ask Big Muddy, as he seems to want to change the subject ....

You have that right!!!!!! You do not KNOW!!

I would hope that any Canadian hating, self-respecting, R-Calf member would voluntarily turn his nose up at the mere smell of Canadian hay.

gcreekrch said:
I would hope that any Canadian hating, self-respecting, R-Calf member would voluntarily turn his nose up at the mere smell of Canadian hay.

When the Canadian dollar was worth about 50 cents on the US dollar- a lot of Canadian hay producers were grinning from ear to ear at ANY US rancher that waved a US greenback at them to buy their surplus of hay they ended up with after the government subsidized their taking their land out of grain crops and putting it into hay and pasture following the loss of the Canadian Crow rate rail subsidy for grain.....

And when US ranchers could buy Canadian hay delivered for as little as $30-40 Ton US it put several US hay producers out of business- or sent them into other production directions...

And just like now- all caused by government meddlings or rulings and regs....

I don't believe I was talking about Canadians, I was talking about the folks who don't feel ANY Canadian agricultural products should enter the US.

Namely R-Calf!

Somebody promise me ... you will put me out of my misery if I ever develop Britzman Syndrome (commonly called OTBS ) :roll:

gcreekrch said:
I don't believe I was talking about Canadians, I was talking about the folks who don't feel ANY Canadian agricultural products should enter the US.

Namely R-Calf!

Yep- and I was just reminding you of the rest of the story- and how the whole situation got started long before R-CALF existed-- when Canadians set up the first NAFTA trade barriers and told us they didn't want our "DISEASED" cattle- but were crawling over the top of each other to get our money...

Oldtimer said:
gcreekrch said:

Namely R-Calf!

Yep- and I was just reminding you of the rest of the story- and how the whole situation got started long before R-CALF existed-- when Canadians set up the first NAFTA trade barriers and told us they didn't want our "DISEASED" cattle- but were crawling over the top of each other to get our money...

There was no regulations that existed that didn't already exist between some states. I brought cattle out of Montana in the mid 90's.

And oldtimer wet himself accepting your money. but lied to himself as to where it came from, just like he lies to everyone now!!!!!

U.S. drought drives up food prices worldwide

By Aaron Smith @CNNMoney August 9, 2012: 10:57 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- The drought that's drying up the Heartland isn't just an American problem. It's causing food prices to surge worldwide.

And it could get worse.

"This is not some gentle monthly wake-up call, it's the same global alarm that's been screaming at us since 2008," said Colin Roche of Oxfam, noting that the drought could lead to food shortages for millions of people worldwide.

Food is a major U.S. export, so the drought affects prices around the globe.

"World leaders must snap out of their lazy complacency and realize the time of cheap food has long gone," Roche said.

In July, food prices jumped 6%, after three months of declines, according to the United Nations' monthly Food Price Index released Thursday. The main drivers behind the increase? Grain prices. And more specifically, corn prices, which have hit record highs in recent weeks.

According to the U.N. report, global corn prices surged nearly 23% in July, exacerbated by "the severe deterioration of maize crop prospects in the United States, following drought conditions and excessive heat during critical stages of the crop development."

Related: Get ready to pay more for your steak
"It's going to have a big impact [on consumers]," said Sam Zippin, an analyst at financial information firm Sageworks. "Corn is in almost everything."

Food prices have been creeping up throughout the United States, as hot temperatures across the Midwestern and Western parts of the nation have dried out crops and driven up the price of corn and grain.

The U.N. index of cereal prices soared 17% last month, creeping closer to its all-time high set in April 2008.

Paul McNamara, associate professor at the University of Illinois' College of Agriculture, said grain prices could rise still further, as cattle ranchers look for a substitute to corn, the most expensive feed.
Meat prices actually declined modestly, according to the U.N. report, but that was partly due to ranchers culling their herds to curb prices they have to pay for corn-based feed,

McNamara said the increases in corn prices and the weak harvest will also put pressure on policymakers to change the current U.S. policy towards ethanol, which mandates that nearly 10% of the nation's fuel supply comes from corn.

Related: Food prices on the rise as drought worsens
Aside from corn, some of the most dramatic increases in food-flation were in the fats and oils because they use soybeans, which have also been hurt by the drought. And that translates into higher prices for margarine and peanut butter.

The U.N.'s price index of oils and fats notched up 2% in July.

And the price of sugar -- another household staple -- spiked 12% in July, though the U.S. drought wasn't to blame.

"The upturn was triggered by untimely rains in Brazil, the world's largest sugar exporter, which hampered sugarcane harvesting in July," said the U.N. "Concerns over delayed monsoon in India and poor precipitation in Australia also contributed to the price increase."

0:00 /2:28Drought destroys Iowa corn crops
What's next. Expect meat prices to move higher into next year as ranchers get their cattle inventories to manageable levels.

"You might have some extra supply this year as people liquidate their herds," said McNamara. "[But] you're going to have, a year from now, tighter supplies as people reduce their herds in the U.S."

Going forward, the severity of food inflation depends on how long the drought in the United States lasts, as well as the weather conditions in major food-producing countries like India and Russia, said David Hallam, director of trade and markets for the U.N.'s Food and Agriculture Organization.

Hallam said the world food supply isn't as lean as it was during the international food crisis of 2007 and 2008, because, even though corn prices are prohibitively expensive, consumers have other foods to fall back on.

For now.

"If countries start unilaterally panic buying or restricting exports, that could make a bad problem worse," said Hallam. "The situation right now is one of heightened vulnerability to any future shocks."

Consumers will get a better idea of where prices are headed Friday, when the U.S. Department of Agriculture releases its World Agricultural Supply and Demand Estimates, which forecasts supply and demand for crops and livestock around the world.

First Published: August 9, 2012: 7:05 AM ET

Whether it is "greed" or simply having to pay what the market will bear, some buyers are OFFERING up to $180.00 per ton for hay in SD now.

Re. the arguments in this thread: Isn't it sad, even disgusting, that so few mothers succeeded in teaching their children from baby-hood on that whining "He started it" wasn't a good idea??? Learning to settle problems, then get on with life is a valuable skill and those who don't learn it are doomed to forever be resentful and unhappy, it seems.

mrj

USA: New drought assistance available to livestock producers

Pig Progress // 09 Aug 2012

As part of continuing steps by the Obama Administration to assist livestock producers in response to the historic drought, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack highlighted that the USDA will utilise nearly US$16 million in financial and technical assistance to immediately help crop and livestock producers in 19 states cope with the adverse impacts of the historic drought.

In addition, USDA will initiate a transfer of US$14 million in unobligated program funds into the Emergency Conservation Program. These funds can be used to assist in moving water to livestock in need, providing emergency forage for livestock, and rehabilitating lands severely impacted by the drought.

Together these efforts should provide nearly US$30 million to producers struggling with drought conditions.

In Washington, President Obama convened his White House Rural Council to review Executive Branch response actions and to develop additional policy in itiatives to assist drought-stricken Americans. Following the meeting, the White House announced a number of new measures the Administration is taking:

USDA assistance for livestock and crop producers,
the National Credit Union Administration's increased capacity for lending to customers including farmers,
the US Department of Transportation's emergency waivers for federal truck weight regulations and hours of service requirements to drought-stricken communities.

Within the last month, USDA has opened the Conservation Reserve Program to emergency haying and grazing, has lowered the borrower interest rate for emergency loans, and has worked with crop insurance companies to provide more flexibility to farmers. USDA has also announced the following:

Allowing producers to modify current EQIP contracts to allow for grazing, livestock watering, and other conservation activities to address drought conditions.
Authorizing haying and grazing of Wetlands Reserve Program (WRP) easement areas in drought-affected areas where haying and grazing is consistent wit h conservation of wildlife habitat and wetlands.
Lowering the reduction in the annual rental payment to producers on CRP acres used for emergency haying or grazing from 25 % to 10 % in 2012.
Simplifying the Secretarial disaster designation process and reduced the time it takes to designate counties affected by disasters by 40 %.

With the USDA announcement highlighted today, USDA's Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) will use US$16 million in existing funds from its Wildlife Habitat Incentive Program (WHIP) and Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) to target states experiencing exceptional and extreme drought.

The states with exceptional, or the most severe, drought are Arkansas, Colorado, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky and Nebraska.

States experiencing extreme drought are Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Mexico, Nevada, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin. NRCS state conservationists will announce special signups for WHIP and EQIP funds which will allow eligible producers to apply for selected conservation practices. These practices include prescribed grazing, livestock watering facilities and water conservation practices. Eligible producers also can re-apply for financial assistance to re-install or re-apply failed conservation practices due to drought and modify existing contracts to re-schedule planned conservation practices.

In addition, USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA) will transfer US$14 million in unobligated program funds into the Emergency Conservation Program (ECP). ECP provides emergency funding and technical assistance for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters and for carrying out emergency water conservation measures in periods of severe drought. ECP also provides resources to help producers restore livestock fences.

Secretary Vilsack has also signed disaster designations for an additional 44 counties in 12 states as primary natural disaster areas due to damage and losses caused by drought and excessive heat.

Counties designated today are in the states of...

more

http://www.pigprogress.net/news/usa-new-drought-assistance-available-to-livestock-producers-9167.html

Won't be long and they should be handing out the powdered milk again too.....

Oldtimer said:
beethoven said:

Just for info--On one of the other websites it was posted that the US side of the port is charging $800 a trailer load for inspection/reloading cost....

Not sure if this is right or not- but have no reason to doubt the person- and it fits the added costs the Canadians were telling me about.....

Latest posts