• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NH 664 baler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
The twine on the right side of my baler quite often doesn't start to feed in when wrapping. When it works everything is fine but I have to stop the machine and pull out more twine and then run the twine arms myself. The only problem I have noticed is grooves at the top and bottom of the twine arms that might be putting on to much twine tension. Every place else seems to let it slip fine. Any ideas?

I also gave my self a heart attack this morning by accident. The twine arms wouldn't move any way I tried. Finally I realized I had shut the twine off and turned on the mesh wrap which I don't have. :oops: :roll:

sometimes I would get a buildup inside the tensioner that would cause the twine to pull a little harder than normal.

Just a thought

At least you get to use it this summer BMR.
I am thinking ours may end up MIA if it doesn't stop raining. Still in the forecast for the next 2 weeks ugh ...

Yes we have a use for it but today the humidity is very high, threating rain but isn't. The hay I do have down isn't curing very well.

I was going to build up the grooves in the ends of the twine arms but they are inter changeable so I swapped sides. it will make the twine run on the opposite sides of the arms and wear new grooves. :D

Lets hope that fixes the problem cause it's no fun getting off the baler to hand start the twine every bale. :mad: :D :D :D

there is a new twine arm, with a differint tension. just 2 flat prings the twine runs between. thinking of putting a few of the things of the new balers onto mine this year.

Can't remember for sure, but isn't there some brushes inside the twine tube? They get worn and the twine jerks back up it. I think it was on the New Holland. Shoot it coulda been on a Heston, or Deere for that matter. I tried them all, and now I don't hay.

We have a friend who is a genius when it comes to repairing machinery.
I called and asked if he had any idea.

He had this same problem. What he did was aligned the twine arm up
where the bale meets the roller. He had to bend the arm a little bit
and his 664 never missed another bale.

He says the grooves shouldn't matter because the twine is going
pretty straight into it when it first starts tying. If they are deep
enough tho, he would definitely fix them

Hope this helps!

Faster horses said:

Hope this helps!

So, what you're saying is that it's nothing that a sledge hammer and a 6 ft. bar won't fix? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The twine arms have a cone shaped plug in the end of them. The twine can wear a groove in the round bar that circles the cone. If there is a groove in it the cone wont hold tension and the twine will get shorter as the arms go to the middle. You can swap twine arms as that will cause the twine to pull from the opposite side or weld up the groove.

Mark

Some twine balls are pretty tight in the sisel , twine dosnt flow well

One day this happened to me it turned out to be a little ball of fuzzy twine between the bale & friction plate , causing just enough tention to make your day .

If you use plastic twine, sometimes it will snap back, then it wont be long enogh to catch on the bale. I don't know about the New Holland, but my old Vermeer had a snap back preventer. Just a wire brush type thing put in where the twine enters the twine tubes.

Clarencen said:
If you use plastic twine, sometimes it will snap back, then it wont be long enogh to catch on the bale. I don't know about the New Holland, but my old Vermeer had a snap back preventer. Just a wire brush type thing put in where the twine enters the twine tubes.

Hey that's a good idea! I could sure use a snap back preventer around here a lot of days and I don't even use plastic twine . . .

:wink:

Faster horses said:

Hope this helps!

Thats what the neighbour had to do to his baler,and then everything worked good again.I sure am glad i decided to put up that pile of silage,and that i only got 160 acres cut and laying on the ground,the 3.5 inchs of rain this past week has brought everything to a stand still again.

Latest posts