• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NH 664

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
My slip clutch up top on my balers has started jumping. I thought it might be jumping a bit when tieing but I brought it in and washed it up and then it wouldn't hold at all.

Anybody know how to take them off to replace?

Thanks

Not to tuff. Take drive chain off,bolt out of the end of the shaft pull first half off should be a snap ring on the shaft take it off and inside half should come off. Write a $300 check and put back together. On my 664 if I grease it to much it will slip. I hope this helps.

Also bring home an extra snap ring - the old one is hard to find after it snaps into the far corner of the shop when you're taking it off . . . :oops: :oops:

Well why did you think they are called "snap rings"?

I got it off. Seems like it was the bushing inside the sprocket that was wore out. having trouble getting the snap ring off. might have to get the torch out.

Buyer said:
Not to tuff. Take drive chain off,bolt out of the end of the shaft pull first half off should be a snap ring on the shaft take it off and inside half should come off. Write a $300 check and put back together. On my 664 if I grease it to much it will slip. I hope this helps.

Try a $400 check :roll: :D :D :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Buyer said:

Try a $400 check :roll: :D :D :D
$400 for a new baler isn't bad. A wheel for our rake is over that, and I have to assemble it myself. Apparently when your equipment is "vintage" in the parts book, you can't buy it already assembled. :lol: I am not sure how it qualifies as vintage when it doesn't even have steel wheels like our other rake?

I havent changed one in a while. A friend of mine got mad at his BR 780 not a very old baler net rap would not work right called the dealer to have someone come out they didnt show up then the top clutch went out. He took it to his shop cleaned it up unhooked called the dealer told them to come and repo it. Then went and rented a JD for $4 a bale pays no parts or labor. $2500 minimum I dont think thats to bad a deal.

If you are talking about the disengagment clutch for the belt drive, I had a simular problem, the belts would quit moving (clutch slipping) and the chain would start to slap. To fix it I took the bolt (greese zerk is attached to it) out,dissassembled the spring and clutch gear, cleaned excesive grease, then reassebled the unit with a 3/8" spacer added to outside side of the spring to increase the spring tention. I went from barly being able to bale before I did this mod to baling like it was a new baler.

John K said:
If you are talking about the disengagment clutch for the belt drive, I had a simular problem, the belts would quit moving (clutch slipping) and the chain would start to slap. To fix it I took the bolt (greese zerk is attached to it) out,dissassembled the spring and clutch gear, cleaned excesive grease, then reassebled the unit with a 3/8" spacer added to outside side of the spring to increase the spring tention. I went from barly being able to bale before I did this mod to baling like it was a new baler.

That might have worked except the bushings on the inside half were wore out. Might have been able to get machine shop to build new ones but NH wants to sell parts. :D

Latest posts