• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NH 688 Baler problems

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tractorguy88

Reaction score
I just bought a 688 baler and seem to have nothing but bad luck with it. My main problem is with the twine system. It is an auto wrap and when a bale is twineing, sometimes the twine arms will trip and go back to the begininng twine position. This will happen of and on and it seems that it will do this a few times in a row and then stop and work perfect for awhile, then will start doing this again. We talked to a dealer and he said there is a set screw on top of the arms to adjust, and i have adjusted them a little today, but they still seem to do it. Every one else we talked to who has a 688 said they never seem to have this problem and they claim that they are some of the best balers made, but this problem is frustating and is costing me time and money in the field. I was wondering if someone had this problem before

Have you checked your electronics? My John Deer baler did this once and one of the pins on the plug from the baler to the computer was messed up. Once I straighten it back out it has worked fine.

I had the same problem this summer on my 650 which I believe has the same tieing system.

I will look tonight at my baler and see if I can remember how things work. I took everything apart on mine just to try and figure out how things were supposed to work so I could watch and see what was/wasn't happening during the tieing process. But when I put things back together again the problem only happened one more time and then seemed to go away.

If I remember correctly there is something on the tie cam that pushes a "bar" when the cam comes around that will stop the tying process and on mine it was just sliding by without tripping it.

Like I said I will take a look tonight and get the proper terminology from the owners manual and get back to you on what my problem was anyway. But it sounds like you have the same problem.

ChrisB is right, standing behind the baler go to the Right big door, just behind the large belt pulley there is a slide that as the baler is tieing, it slide upwards, and as the tieing gear comes around picks up that slid and kicks the system off, that slide just needs to be cleaned up good, you can take it off blow all dirt and matter off, and if there is any oil on slide clean it all off, and on the baler also, it NEEDS to be Clean and DRY, also no rust, you can use a dry Grafite (ms) but I do not, if it is dry and clean you will find that if it gives you trouble later you be able to just blow it out with air and should work, If you take off the slide the first time to clean good, when putting back on DO NOT over tighten, needs to slide freely, it is a self locking nut on this so you can set it where it will slide freely, do this and I think it will work, if it still gives you problems the last thing to check is the slide, maybe do this if you take off it needs to be very straight length ways. Hope that gets you going its a good baler. 101

After taking a look at my owners manual I recall the problem I was having.

Behind the big pulley on the auto-wrap system on the clutch there is a pawl that sticks out and contacts the stop. When the bale gets full the slide mentioned above will push the trip on the cam. When that happens the pawl is released and the clutch is engaged and it begins to wrap the bale.

There is a roller on the bottom of the tieing cam, on mine it is white and looks like delrin or acetal. When the cam comes around at the end of the tie cycle the roller pushes the stop forward and catches the pawl as it comes around and releases the clutch to end the wrapping procedure.

That is how I think the system works anyway. On mine, when the roller came around it would start to push the stop forward but then the stop would slip off and spring back and therefore would not catch the pawl as it came around and the wrapping procedure would keep repeating until the roller would catch enough of the stop and push it forward.

According to the book there are shims that can be put in to adjust either the worm gear or the slide assembly. Or perhaps the roller itself needs replacing. You can also adjust the angle of the pawl so it will contact the stop more by taking it off and rotating it one spline counter clockwise, but I don't think that would be a problem if the baler had been working in the past.

That is the best I can explain it. If you manually start the wrapping procedure without a bale in and watch it go through the wrapping cylcle a few times it will start to make sense and you should be able to figure out the problem from there. Good luck.

Dang! I just realized the original post was from July! I'm sure he either fixed the problem or got rid of the baler by now.

All that typing for nothing. :roll:

ChrisB said:
Dang! I just realized the original post was from July! I'm sure he either fixed the problem or got rid of the baler by now.

All that typing for nothing. :roll:

You never know.......He might have still been sitting at the computer and waiting for someone to answer his question :D

Hope you got it fixed.

That slide thing (as in 101's post) behind the pulley tends to get the 90 degree end of it bent. You can get a bar in there and bend it back a bit and it will work again.

I think I may have fixed it once with a crescent wrench and an extension handle as well.

I forgot exactly how to do it, but that is the problem.

I think it don't quite catch, then makes almost another turn of the pulley and hangs up.

Latest posts