• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NH baler

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sp

Reaction score
I hope no one was offended this weekend if they overheard me kicking and cussing my NH baler.
It's been quite dry in our area and was trying to bale some short, but
thick blue stem grass.
The baler just didn't want to start a bale. We used a new JD baler last year and didn't have this problem. Maybe it's time to trade.

This is my 4th NH baler and they have all had the same problem starting a bale. Has anyone out there came up w/ a solution to this problem, other than trade balers.

try a shot of green paint?

I really like new holland for the tractors and big squares, but am not sold on the rounds....still think it is hard to beat Hesston in a round baler,

try baling wetter, it may feed better

I have been using JD round balers for 15 years. If the grass is real short and dry, they sometimes have trouble too. The hay tends to tumble instead of feed into the throat.

two tips.

1. when you start out, try a lower rpm until the bale starts.

2. bale when there is a little dew on the hay

johndeerefarmer said:
I have been using JD round balers for 15 years. If the grass is real short and dry, they sometimes have trouble too. The hay tends to tumble instead of feed into the throat.

two tips.

1. when you start out, try a lower rpm until the bale starts.

2. bale when there is a little dew on the hay

I also have trouble starting bales. As you said short hay tumbles and then all goes in at one time loading one side more than the other. Also Long hay tends to pull the windrow in as much as 7 feet of windrow at once thus feeding one side more than the other.
I am uesing an old JD-510 with narrow belts that have been patched so many time that none of the belts are the same length and I am sure that does not help. But I have to use what I have. I have also learned to finish bailing a field with up to two belts missing but not belts next to each other nor the outside belts.

Some ways I try to start it off is;
Like you said. Go slow and lower rpm. 1400 RPM.
Start in a thin windrow.
Feed a little hay in one side then stop and back up and line the windrow with the empty side. Do this several times till you get the roll even in the bail chamber. Once the hay starts rolling inside te chamber you have just about got it made.
The trick is to go slow and start in thin hay but not short hay by geting the roll even across the bailer.
My bailer starts better by feeding the left side first but yours could be different.

You guys have way too much patience. I get on the tractor I want the a/c on high, Willy Nelson on low and never have to look back!!!

sp said:
You guys have way too much patience. I get on the tractor I want the a/c on high, Willy Nelson on low and never have to look back!!!

It must be nice. Can I borrow your trator to roll my hay?
Nevermind. I am sure it would spoil me forever.

Alabama - If you were closer I would be glad to loan you my tractor. The a/c has a leak I can't find so it starts to get a little warm around 5 pm.

sp,
I have had a terrible time getting crested wheat to start to roll in a 780. Had one of the mechanics here and he said go fast as it will go and pick up the hay and get it fed to both sides fast as you can, also your hay is too dry, bale it at night. Then I informed him that at 2 am this morning in a windrow the same width of the pickup this thing would not roll a bale. He had no clue what he was saying, so I asked a salesman the next day. He said cut the RPMs, go slow, only bale narrow windrows in hay like that. So I got two totally different answers from the same company. So, I found that dew on, cut RPMs, go slow, even stop for awhile, a bale would roll. Also found that if I started on the right side of the baler, it would start sooner. We were just hauling in some of these difficult bales and the cores look like the old soft core bales because they don't roll til they get 30". Has anyone used a new Vermeer or one of those Challengers?

We just got a new Vermeer M and my husband says it will roll the s**t out of anything. Dry, wet, light or heavy. Goes like a bugger, net wraps really, really fast. We have been able to put up some of the best hay we ever have because it bales so fast. Can bale when conditions are right and get a lot done.

We have put right at 1000 bales through it so far with no problems. Well, they did plug it a time or two... :wink: Actually, the windrows were too wide~some of the fields had two swaths thrown together and we didn't realize they needed to be narrower. Once the swather driver fixed that, they didn't plug it again. Raked hay is a piece of cake.

I think the dealer here still has one just like ours, a Vermeer M.
These guys would recommend it to anyone. They looked over some of the others and the Vermeer is definitely among the stoutest made, if not THE stoutest!! And the guys really like the monitor. The monitor on our old baler didn't amount to much, so this one is much appreciated!

P.S.

sw~our hay is mostly crested, so we have put a lot of crested through it. The M has a really good pickup (not that I know, only know what I hear.)

A guy came and bought some horse hay from us (mostly crested) and the bales weighed in at 1300#. That's just about right for us. We don't care to handle those huge bales. This baler would make up to 2200# bales, they say, but we don't want 'em that big. Now some alfalfa they just baled, you can tell the bales are heavier there.

I have tried one of the Cat Challeger balers... they are built by hesston just have the yellow paint on them. We ve got a 6365 New Idea and it is also a Hesston. It has a short crop kit in it and we can bale anytime day or night. The kit consists of a short flat bar that bolts to the baleer about a foot above the pick up. Works great!

Have baled about everything you can grow in our north country ranging from thin droughted out salvage crop to extremely heavy tame forage and slough hay. We have used NH balers since 1981 starting with an 851 moving to a 855 chain balers and presently use a 688 belt baler. The chain balers could be tempermental in short dry conditions but if you idled back and stayed away from the heat of the day you could get along. The 688 will start anything I've tried from chewed up rotary combine straw to dried up crested wheat and has tremendous capacity. I can run 2 MPH faster than Hesstons in heavy straw and tie and dump faster! I haven't had a chance to check out Vermeers but do hear lots of good. Dealer service means a lot to us and we have had an excellent relationship with our NH dealer!

Cowsense,

Your 688 must be different than the ones we have up here. With our hesston we can run circles around any New Holland. This is the mai reason oour Case dealer is now selling Hesston balers as well as the new Case RBX balers (New hollands). We run about 8.0+ MPH in a 36Ft heavy swath of straw. Makes people stop on the road and take notice. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

MR.....was running with Hesston 565's.....don't seem to be any new 856 or 956's around-the first ones seemed to have a lot of problems and they never caught on in sales like the 565. Our country is heavy on NH but that is partly due to several strong dealerships ! Personally I would love to be able to raise cows without running any iron but that is probably a pipedream :!:

SP.....the first thing our NH dealer does on a new baler is change the axle settings ( there are 2.....can't remember whether he raises or lowers the baler from factory settings ...will have to check). They claim this improves the feeding and makes for a better flow. They also back off the spring tension some to make a slightly softer core. Let me know if you want more info and I can find out for you. Good luck!

Thanks, I would be interested in what axles they are talking about.

You sure are right there cowsense. Wouldn t it be nice to beable to save the money we put out on iron. Would be darn nice to let the cows do the cutting and processing them selves. Hard to make any money these days!

SP- Check the axles on your baler:there's two positions a forward lower (factory setting) that raises the baler and a rear higher setting that will lower the working height of the machine. Our NH dealer swears by setting the baler to the low setting.....he claims it makes for a better feeding angle for the swath in difficult conditions! It seems to work as I have had very few problems in starting bales. Hope this helps....good luck!

Latest posts