• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nice day for a January cattle drive

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
This morning we drove 201 replacement heifer calves about twelve miles through the hills to a neighbor's place. He will winter the heifers and then AI them next May. It will then be just a six-mile drive back to the northeast corner of our ranch to get them to grass next summer. We got a good early start, and Peach Blossom led the way with the pickup and trailer, hauling her horse along in case it was needed. (It was. :wink: ).

The calves are used to being caked and fed hay with the Hydra-bed pickup. This wasn't the same vehicle, but they still followed fairly well. The terrain we went through was pretty rough for the first six miles, but Peach Blossom did a superb job driving until getting almost to a good gravel road. There she went around a pond the wrong way, and the sun was in her eyes. The poor old pickup could go no farther, as it was stuck in the mud.

Earlier in the morning, Saddletramp's sharp eyes caught sight of a lone black two-year-old heifer, still out on summer range. We knew we were short one heifer, and I had gone looking for her on three different occasions without success. The reason I couldn't even find any tracks in the two pastures she could have been in was because she wasn't in either of those pastures. How she got where she was remains a mystery, but I'm just glad she turned up as she has been missing since before Thanksgiving.

As Peach Blossom's pickup was incapacitated, she unloaded her horse and rode back the way we had come. She found the heifer and took her on home as she went. She then left her horse at the ranch and brought back another pickup and trailer. Saddletramp, Kosmo, and I continued on down a gravel road to the north with our heifer herd. We arrived at our destination where hay was fed out, just as Peach Blossom arrived with the pickup and trailer. It was just past noon. We made our way back to the stuck truck, pulled it out, ate our lunch which was along, and returned home to take care of the rest of our stock.

The day was absolutely beautiful for this time of year, and got up to 60 degrees. With our good early start, a cloud cover, gentle breeze, and not hurrying the calves, they arrived at their new home in great shape.

The proof is in the pictures.

Brightandearlystart.jpg

Bright and early start
EarlyJanuarymorning.jpg

Beautiful January morning
Earlymorningbythelake.jpg

Early morning by the lake
Cowboysandcattleacomin.jpg

Cowboys and cattle are a comin'
Earsthewaywedoit.jpg

Ears the way we do it
Ajokebeingtold.jpg

A joke being told
KosmoKidandKompany.jpg

Kosmo Kid and Kompany
SaddletrampandtheKosmoKid.jpg

Saddletramp and the Kosmo Kid
Windingthroughthehills.jpg

Winding through the hills
PeachBlossomleadstheway.jpg

Peach Blossom leads the way
SaddletrampSandhillsandsoapweeds.jpg

Saddletramp, sandhills and soapweeds
Ladiesmarchingonward.jpg

Ladies marching onward
Comingdowntheroad.jpg

Coming down the road
Interestedspectators.jpg

Interested spectators
EarsShadowtramp.jpg

Ears Shadowtramp
Goingdowntheroad.jpg

Going down the road
Yupthisiswhereshegotstuck.jpg

Yup, this is where she got stuck
Endofthetrail.jpg

End of the trail

Musta been a day fer gittin stuck. How I'll never know as dry as it is here, mr Lilly's dad got the dozer stuck. Had his 4x4 Ford hooked to the Dozer trailer with a winch attached to the dozer tryin to winch it out. Wasn't workin, he called us to come help. Tracks were totally buried in clay.
When he called he asked me to bring my lil 4x4 toyota, I seriously thought, "Huh?" Ok, Toyota to the rescue...hahaha.....All I got to do was drive down in the huge hole he'd dug, back up the other side and pop the hood and jump the dozer off. But....I did get to put it in 4 wheel drive, and he didnt think I'd be able to pull myself out..........I did.....Weeeeeeeeeeeee giver the gas and here we went...all I could see was blue sky's there for a few seconds...strait up and outta the hole I went!!!!!! Anyway, got the dozer out, and wouldnt ya know it, I didn't have my camera with me. That is somethin that is HIGHLY unusual. So no pics of todays fun. :x

Great pics Soapweed. What I wanna know is what kinda digital camera you have, I cannot get mine to take pictures when it's as dark as it appears to be in that first shot.........they always come out blurry.

Thanks for taking us along for the ride. It was a great day, took advantage of it to move some hay from one stackyard to the one at home to tub grind for the calves. It was 2 year old hay so is nice to keep the oldest used up.

Yupthisiswhereshegotstuck.jpg

I would have been called every bad name ever imagined if I'd have done that. Matter of fact, hubby might not be talking to be yet. :oops:

Looks like that was loads of fun. Now I'm geared up for drivin' our cows home to calve in February. Great pictures, Thanks.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
What I wanna know is what kinda digital camera you have, I cannot get mine to take pictures when it's as dark as it appears to be in that first shot.........they always come out blurry.

My camera is a little pocket-sized Sony Cybershot. It has 5.1 megapixels and uses a 3x power Zeiss zoom. It measures 3 5/8" x 2 3/8" x 1/2". It is a handy to always have along and fits easily into my front shirt pocket. I don't smoke, so carry it instead of a pack of cigarettes. :cowboy: :???: :? :shock: :wink: :) In early morning type light, my pictures are often blurry because I jiggle using the low shutter speed.

Besides doing everything you described, I bet Peach Blossom fixed lunch as well. What a woman!!!!!!

Nice pictures Soapweed. I think my favorite this time is "Coming down the road." I would choose that one to hang on our wall.

And, I really like that coon-tailed horse of Saddle Tramps. So tell me more about him, please. I am a sucker for coon-tailed horses. Never saw a bad one. In fact, we bought one at the Nehring Sale in Bowman in September. He is a 3-year old and is he ever nice!!!!

The horse that Saddletramp is riding is nine years old this spring. He was a green broke four-year-old when I bought him at the Weller Angus bull and gelding sale in February of 2001, for $2200. Saddletramp has put a bunch of miles on the gelding since then, and he has turned into a pretty fair ranch using horse.

Here are a few more pictures of the cattle drive, taken from Peach Blossom's perspective.

SunriseontheSoapweedRanch.jpg

Sunrise on the Soapweed Ranch
Cattledriveinprogress.jpg

Cattledrive in progress
Cattleinthecountryside.jpg

Cattle in the countryside
Spectators.jpg

Spectators
ItlookslikeImearningmykeep.jpg

It looks like I'm earning my keep
Comingthroughtheswale.jpg

Coming through the swale

Nice pictures as usual Soapweed.

I went to college with both Bill and Carrie Weller and they have put alot into their horse program from what I can tell. Went to their horse sale this past August and I don't believe they sold on of their own for less than $5500. As they looked all to be well broke.

That slow shutter speed in low light is the reason I asked for a tri pod for Christmas. (the person who asked what I wanted or needed for Christmas, apparently forgot, we won't mention his name) LOL that's ok, they dont cost much and I'll go get one next trip I make into town. but it's still aggrivatin, mine tells me sometimes that there's low light up durin the middle of the day, if I"m in the shade. I've even tried using the night setting, and that doesn't seem to help.

Beautiful pics. I love the one through the horses ears.
They have self-standing monopods which you can easily carry with you. They go up to heights of 67.7"

Yall sound like a very special couple ....you didnt get mad about her getting stuck :D

I remember getting stuck in those Nebraska sandhills. It was my second trip to a ranch out South of Alliance. I was loaded with bulls for Nebraska and bred heifers headed for Mississippi. 3 2yr old bulls and 7 bred heifers if I remember correctly.

I missed the corner as they had changed a cattle guard from the first trip the previous year. I swung out to turn around and sunk in the sand. Good thing for cell phones, it was midnight but a quick tractor pull and we were going again.

Great pics! Brings back lots of memories. Where is the snow?

Peach Blossom managed to find some soft ground - either it is not as dry as I figured or the water table is real close to the top. Both a real good thing.

Note to Peach Blossom:

Wife buried the Case 5240 4WD equipped with loader and snow blower about two nights ago at midnight. Three neighbours tractors, lots of chains and a few hours later we got it out.

At 4 in the morning all involved neighbours and their wives were sitting at our table eating Swedish crepes - wifes "sorry and thanks for the help" to them all. Had a great time.

What did you do to make up for your oops ? :D :D :D

Best thoughts,

B.C.

Broke Cowboy said:

Peach Blossom managed to find some soft ground - either it is not as dry as I figured or the water table is real close to the top. Both a real good thing.

Note to Peach Blossom:

Wife buried the Case 5240 4WD equipped with loader and snow blower about two nights ago at midnight. Three neighbours tractors, lots of chains and a few hours later we got it out.

At 4 in the morning all involved neighbours and their wives were sitting at our table eating Swedish crepes - wifes "sorry and thanks for the help" to them all. Had a great time.

Best thoughts,

B.C.

What part of the world are you in that has that kind of snow?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Broke Cowboy said:

Note to Peach Blossom:

Best thoughts,

B.C.

What part of the world are you in that has that kind of snow?

No attempt to hijack the thread - but it was not snow - that is only about a foot deep. Unfortunately the ground she ventured over was not frozen - and the marl was about three feet deep. It was a lot of fun wading in that stuff - but we got it out!

I suggested she not to go there - but what do I know? I just work here! :D :D :D

Live in lovely old politically correct Ontario - an immigrant from North West Alberta - hopefully for only three more years.

B.C.

Actually, the fact that she got stuck kind of made everything work out for the best. She had her horse along, and earlier in the day we had found our missing two-year-old heifer. I thought a little about putting that heifer with our trail herd, but then determined that she would be going the wrong direction and later we'd have to figure out how to get her loaded and hauled home.

With the pickup stuck, Peach Blossom just rode home horseback the six miles through the hills and took the two-year-old heifer with her as she went. The rest of us continued on with the herd, and Peachie pulled up with another pickup and trailer just as we reached our destination. After arriving back at the stuck vehicle, we unloaded the horses, unhooked the trailer, and pulled the other outfit out of the mud.

Guess as they say, all is well that ends well.

Many times I have found my "plan" getting changed in the middle. It might take a while but when I look back most of the time I feel God had a different plan for me and it was better!

Sometimes it might even be years before I realise what the "change in plans" resulted in.

Latest posts