• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nice winter day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Homesweethome.jpg

Home sweet home
Standingaroundsoakingupthesun.jpg

Standing around soaking up the sunshine
Enjoyingawintermorning.jpg

Enjoying a winter morning
Oddmarkedcow.jpg

Oddly marked cow
Happycows.jpg

Happy black bovines

lazy ace said:
Good pictures, but where are the red cows? They must be out grazing already. :wink:

lazy ace

They are on Saddletramp's end of the place, so he is feeding them cake and bull rushes. Speaking of the red cows, with our short hay supply, they could possibly be for sale. There are about 200 head, ages seven on up. They are good-sized Red Angus-Gelbvieh cross cows, bred to red Simmental bulls. They are a productive set of females, but there are no younger ones because I haven't kept any red heifer calves as replacements for several years. Their calves next fall will tip the scales pretty well.

Sorry, Macon. Send me a bill for advertising if you deem it necessary.

Soapweed said:
lazy ace said:
Good pictures, but where are the red cows? They must be out grazing already. :wink:

lazy ace

They are on Saddletramp's end of the place, so he is feeding them cake and bull rushes. Speaking of the red cows, with our short hay supply, they could possibly be for sale. There are about 200 head, ages seven on up. They are good-sized Red Angus-Gelbvieh cross cows, bred to red Simmental bulls. They are a productive set of females, but there are no younger ones because I haven't kept any red heifer calves as replacements for several years. Their calves next fall will tip the scales pretty well.

Quick, quick! Somebody buy them before he changes his mind! :shock:

:wink:

If I had the money and hay, I'd be right down to pick them up Soap. :)

Jinglebob said:
Soapweed said:
lazy ace said:

lazy ace

Quick, quick! Somebody buy them before he changes his mind! :shock:

:wink:

If I had the money and hay, I'd be right down to pick them up Soap. :)

They are nice cows, Jinglebob, but they would be too big to suit you. They don't have any horns either. :wink: :)

Your stock looks to be in great shape as well Soapweed. I would have thought you might have more snow than appears in the pictures.

The sand hills with the snow on them (last picture) makes a very nice looking picture.

On the odd marked cow, we have one that is sort of simular. She is a coming two year old heifer. One day this fall, my wife and I were moving them, and she asks me where the longhorn heifer came from. I thought she was kidding, and then I saw the heifer for myself. A solid black heifer had lots of white flecks on one hip. I know for a fact that she was not that way the winter and spring before. I cannot figure out why she showed up that way as a yearling? And I am sure she is not longhorn. :wink:

Tap said:
Your stock looks to be in great shape as well Soapweed. I would have thought you might have more snow than appears in the pictures.

The sand hills with the snow on them (last picture) makes a very nice looking picture.

On the odd marked cow, we have one that is sort of simular. She is a coming two year old heifer. One day this fall, my wife and I were moving them, and she asks me where the longhorn heifer came from. I thought she was kidding, and then I saw the heifer for myself. A solid black heifer had lots of white flecks on one hip. I know for a fact that she was not that way the winter and spring before. I cannot figure out why she showed up that way as a yearling? And I am sure she is not longhorn. :wink:

Oh that? Somebody just used too much bleach, the last time they washed her. :roll:

Angus cattle are noted for their birth marks.

In the formation of the breed 2 of the most used bulls were 'Grey Breasted Jock' and another with a large distinctive birth mark, his name has escaped my memory.

The first bull imported to Canada was named Jock and he had a prominent birth mark on the left hip. Some came to refer to those markings as a Jock marks.

Sometimes those birth marks don't show up until a cow or bull is a few years old, that would explain Tap's conundrum.

The other thing I have seen, is if a small pactch of skin is frozen it will lose pigment. I have had cattle that get a scratch or scar turn white right there just like a freeze brand after a cold spell.

Soapweed

Did you get my pm? I am attending the big cow sale in Burwell on friday so I may be out of the market by saturday

rees said:
Soapweed

Did you get my pm? I am attending the big cow sale in Burwell on friday so I may be out of the market by saturday

The PM never came through for some reason. Check and see if it is in your outbox or in "sent". Possibly it went to the wrong person. I did that one time. :oops:

PMs also need something on the subject line, or they don't go through.

Latest posts