• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nicest March Calving Weather Ever

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I think this years weather has been the nicest for calving I've ever saw...
After last years Winter from Hell- Old Ma Nature owed us !

100_0255.jpg

My tagalong while walking thru the cows this morning...
Do I look like a Herdbull? 81 lb bull calf out of a Cole Creek Juanada Lad 81T X Basin Max 104J cow... If I get to stay a bull- we will have to DNA to find "Who's my Daddy"...
100_0253.jpg

Last year with all the snow and storms- I ran out of straw- so bought some extra this year- and this year it may get used mostly as feed..Cows really love it when you roll out some wheat hay on it...
100_0256.jpg

Cows are seeming to like the year old crested wheat/alfalfa hay better than they did last year when it was new..
100_0257.jpg

Even W likes the crested hay- a 68lb heifer calf out of a Whitney Creek Bannon 730T X Strategy cow...
100_0258.jpg

I have been calving in Feb - March for a long time. May have to build a few more barns.........so my poor cows can get in the shade. No leaves on the trees and near 80 degrees in Bismarck. Ain't complaining, just fact.

Yeah- in the last couple of weeks we have broken several high temperature records- including some that dated back to 1893...

Supposed to be about 65 here today- but there is a cold front moving in today that will bring a couple of days with highs in the 40's- and supposedly some rain.... The changing barometric pressure may kick these old mommas into gear again..
About a dozen calves on the ground so far- and all but 1 are bull calves.. :)

My sons heifers started calving, the weather well, just beautiful. He has ten calves, all heifers except for one.

Well the weather has gone to heck in a handbasket around here. 60 MPH wind yesterday that blew over a stack a 100 cedar posts i had cut last fall. It snowed all night up on the mountain and the snow level is dropping tonight. I have 4 left to calve and i hope they wait a week. :D Glad to hear your calving is going well Oldtimer! The one's on the ground sure look swell. Enjoy your evening! :D

leanin' H said:
Well the weather has gone to heck in a handbasket around here. 60 MPH wind yesterday that blew over a stack a 100 cedar posts i had cut last fall. It snowed all night up on the mountain and the snow level is dropping tonight. I have 4 left to calve and i hope they wait a week. :D Glad to hear your calving is going well Oldtimer! The one's on the ground sure look swell. Enjoy your evening! :D

Yep- sounds like the higher elevations are getting hit pretty well...SIL drove to Sandpoint ID today- and said he ran into quite a bit of snow in the mountains...
They are now saying we could get skiff tomorrow night if it gets cold enough to turn the rain to snow....

leanin' H said:

All that snow should make some nice grass this spring. :D

I may have spoke too soon... Started raining/misting here about 8AM- just wet enough so far to make mud to stick to your shoes...Temp is 40- but supposed to drop and turn to snow later today...

While they are not predicting much snow here- 100 miles west of us is getting a blizzard- with no travel advised on many highways- and some closed in the central part of the state....

Oldest daughter had knee surgery in Billings this morning- and Grandma is down there with her...They are coming back this afternoon- so looks like they will have to come by way of Miles City...

They say there could be 3/4" of inch of moisture in this system...If we get that and then temps back in the 60's as they are predicting- the grass will be leaping out of the ground... :)

Oldtimer said:
I may have spoke too soon... Started raining/misting here about 8AM- just wet enough so far to make mud to stick to your shoes...Temp is 40- but supposed to drop and turn to snow later today...

While they are not predicting much snow here- 100 miles west of us is getting a blizzard- with no travel advised on many highways- and some closed in the central part of the state....

Oldest daughter had knee surgery in Billings this morning- and Grandma is down there with her...They are coming back this afternoon- so looks like they will have to come by way of Miles City...

They say there could be 3/4" of inch of moisture in this system...If we get that and then temps back in the 60's as they are predicting- the grass will be leaping out of the ground... :)

the calves look good OT.

its a blizzard alright. kids got sent home early and bus delivered them to the door and they scared the crap out of me cause i didn't know they had come home. i guess one of the buses out of rudyard or somewhere just east got rolled in the storm. fine time to start calving - 66 heifers synched to start 4/1 and i've got 4 in the last 24hrs and several more cut out to go shortly. got the first calves out of Dylan and Cory's (or whoevers) F-R angus bull. a little heavier than i had hoped but coming real easy so far. pretty good vigor to them too, a little early but that is fine by me. windy as i'll get out, but no too cold... should be done by morning. not sure on how much snow, but i hauled some hay out to the old bulls on eagle creek with the tractor and probably left 8-10 inch tracks. nice big drifts. a godsend

As warm as it is in March. Wondering how these AI compaines are going to get the cattle bred before it gets to HOT. On a normal year MAy 15th is the cut off date for AI after that its to hot 80s etc....
Any thoughts ???

I don't know about that Oldtimer,the weather was a lot nicer in jan,and feb then it has been in march.Maybe not temperature wise,but there wasn't any snow or very little and there defiantly wasn't any rain!!

Hay Feeder said:
As warm as it is in March. Wondering how these AI compaines are going to get the cattle bred before it gets to HOT. On a normal year MAy 15th is the cut off date for AI after that its to hot 80s etc....
Any thoughts ???

The young man that leases our place breeds AI in July and he hasn't
had any problems getting the cattle settled. It's darn sure 80 or
more here in July. I'm wondering why you think it's too hot after
May 15? More and more in this area are calving later and still doing
their AI program.

Latest posts