• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NICKY - does this pic mean anything to you?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Reaction score
I've drove right by this sign my whole life and for some reason I glanced over at it today and thought of nicky. Anyhow thought i would post it. Galata is a very small town about 25 miles east of Shelby, MT. I think less than 10 people live there. 5 miles to the east on US HWY 2 is lothair, which I live just south of, and even less people live in lothair. I went to school in galata (we were the galata gophers) and I have to drive through galata to get to our summer range.
ace

David_R.jpg

Oh, that is too weird, or spooky, or something....Mike's dad's name was Dave McGinnis :shock: :eek: But he was from Illinois. But thanks for thinking of me :D We were hoping to be at your place on friday...will you be home? Knowing us we won't make it , that's why I haven't gotten ahold of you. But it just rained almost an inch so maybe we will come.

i can't help but ask - but why on god's green earth would you be driving by my place. must be headed a long way east to see what rain and green grass looks like?

kidding aside, if you come this way do stop... would be neat to meet you.

Hereford76 said:
i can't help but ask - but why on god's green earth would you be driving by my place. must be headed a long way east to see what rain and green grass looks like?

My aunt in Wilsall is having her 80th bday on sunday. We hoped to go and have time to go north and see you and Holdens. Don't know if we'll make it tho...depends if the hay is dry enough to cut.

Nicky said:
Hereford76 said:

My aunt in Wilsall is having her 80th bday on sunday. We hoped to go and have time to go north and see you and Holdens. Don't know if we'll make it tho...depends if the hay is dry enough to cut.

Wilsall... that is auwful good country. I was friends with an isbell when we were kids growing up in the hereford deal. I'll never forget old Virgil... guys like that were my heros growing up. "Now when I'm dead and gone, and you hang my old worn tack, I want you to remember, I never sold my saddle or harness and I never bred'em black" I love that quote of his! I live by that kind of stuff... my grandfather had some dandy liners like that I try to live by but I keep them to myself cause some folks are offended by them.

wish your aunt a good bday.

Have you ever been to holden's? if you do go to holdens make sure and stop by here right after you see holden's cows - we're something like 60 miles from them. I've done a lot of business with people that just left holden's place. At first I thought it was simply cause I don't have as much tied up in them and can offer them better but I think different nowadays. I'm 99% sure this is the only hereford outfit in montana that has never used a cooper, holden, or L1 bull and we've had registered ones since 1945.

anyhow, thats beside the point... have a good hay season, its one of my favorite times of year.

It's a small world, Isbells live (lived) about 2 miles, from my relatives! I think Virgil and my dad were in the same class. I knew Garth the best of any of them, and him not that well, as I grew up in Idaho.

That is a great quote, Mike laughed his head off :)

Don't worry, if we get there, we'll stop.

Hereford76 said:
I've drove right by this sign my whole life and for some reason I glanced over at it today and thought of nicky. Anyhow thought i would post it. Galata is a very small town about 25 miles east of Shelby, MT. I think less than 10 people live there. 5 miles to the east on US HWY 2 is lothair, which I live just south of, and even less people live in lothair. I went to school in galata (we were the galata gophers) and I have to drive through galata to get to our summer range.
ace

David_R.jpg

Wow...didn't think I'd see that sign posted on here! I remember seeing that sign a time or two...I also remember lothair on the hi-line...well, what there is of it....makes me a little home sick...thanks for taking me back in time....

Wow...didn't think I'd see that sign posted on here! I remember seeing that sign a time or two...I also remember lothair on the hi-line...well, what there is of it....makes me a little home sick...thanks for taking me back in time....

mtn_90 - so where were you from around here? curious to know who you are and I bet I could guess if you gave me a couple clues.

I can remember growing up around here thinking I just wanted to get out of this desert hell hole, then I went to college and I quit with 6 core credits left to finish to get back home. i think you have to grow up around here to appreciate it, but i think that is true for lots of different places.

Northern Rancher said:
I tend to follow my nose when I travel but I'd probably cross at Sweetgrass if I went down that way.

yeah... that sweetgrass does smell good!

Don't worry, if we get there, we'll stop.

I'm not - I think it would be neat to meet though.

I didn't mean to try and make a hereford pitch at you. I guess I just always have herefords on the brain - drives me crazy somedays... I get exhausted thinking about these stupid cows some days.

These little communities are so interesting- especially with the involvement of the people that keep them going...

I was thinking of that yesterday as I read the obituary of a friend from Opheim that died Friday....The front page headline of the local paper is "Opheim Mayor John Marvin is Dead at 76"....
The article goes on to say that he died at his home- and also did the street maintenance supervisor, certified water and sewer superintendent, Fire Chief, Landfill caretaker, schools bus mechanic, area EMS Director and Instructor, Ambulance Driver, and Deputy Coroner... He had also served for many years as the Opheim City Judge and was a local businessman who operated Marvins Repair and Wrecker Service...

Opheim is a little town on the Canadian border that has a population of about 100.....Going to take a lot of folks to replace him...

Hereford76 said:

mtn_90 - so where were you from around here? curious to know who you are and I bet I could guess if you gave me a couple clues.

I can remember growing up around here thinking I just wanted to get out of this desert hell hole, then I went to college and I quit with 6 core credits left to finish to get back home. i think you have to grow up around here to appreciate it, but i think that is true for lots of different places.

I'm from Havre...lived out south of town in the mountains on a small place...have relatives out north of town up on the canadian border...farmers and run a seed business as well....

I wish I would have never left Montana...folks and some family are still there and one of these days, I'll figure a way to get back to it!!

mtn_90 said:
Hereford76 said:

I'm from Havre...lived out south of town in the mountains on a small place...have relatives out north of town up on the canadian border...farmers and run a seed business as well....

I wish I would have never left Montana...folks and some family are still there and one of these days, I'll figure a way to get back to it!!

sounds like the old lund place or mcintosh place now - did some work up there for lunds helping them bale straw... nicest people you ever meet.

Well, I'm still here so we won't be coming today...hopefully some day we'll get off this place for a bit.

Hereford76 said:
mtn_90 said:
Hereford76 said:

sounds like the old lund place or mcintosh place now - did some work up there for lunds helping them bale straw... nicest people you ever meet.

Yep, you got it. Lunds were great people...didn't something happen with Mikki? It's been years since I've even heard about them.... There were lots of people in that north country that were good people...I drove school bus for a couple years for the rural school -- drove the lund kids when they lived there, cute kids I remember!!

mtn_90 said:
Hereford76 said:
mtn_90 said:

Yep, you got it. Lunds were great people...didn't something happen with Mikki? It's been years since I've even heard about them.... There were lots of people in that north country that were good people...I drove school bus for a couple years for the rural school -- drove the lund kids when they lived there, cute kids I remember!!

I really only knew larry and connie and the one son that was helping that summer - i remember them counting the days till fall cause their boy was headed to become a pilot. I don't remember how but he was killed shortly after that. i think one of larry's brothers was driving truck for big equip in havre. larry and connie live in havre now and actually connie is in the havre waddell and reed office. nice people... i lived with them for close to two weeks bailing for them and got to know them well. my brother and i ran than bailer 24 hours a day in 6 hour shifts and only shut the tractor off to change oil and once in awhile it would get so hot we had to stop until it cooled down. i always did the midnight to 6 am shift cause my brother couldn't stay awake all night, but i remember every night at 10pm larry and i would watch leno on local tv and about all you could do was here leno cause the reception was so bad up there - we still laughed our butts off!

I knew Larry and Connie too -- very nice people. I knew they lived in town, but didn't know she was at Waddell and Reed...good for them.

That's the thing about that area, you can work all night long and don't have to worry about dew settin in to "make you stop"...not like where I'm at now -- I miss the dryer climate and could do without all this humidity...I don't, however, miss working til 2 or 3 in the morning on the farm and starting again at 7 during harvest!!! lol....

Yeah, reception was terrible up there for anything, other than cb's...even KOJM was iffy at times!!

Latest posts