• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NMRancher

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
Hey I am looking for a couple calves and a milk/nurse cow do you know anyone who has any?
Would love a Jersey cow and 2 beef calves.
Been looking on craigslist but everything is in Lubbuck.
THANKS
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,205
Reaction score
441
Location
Big Muddy valley
MsSage said:
Hey I am looking for a couple calves and a milk/nurse cow do you know anyone who has any?
Would love a Jersey cow and 2 beef calves.
Been looking on craigslist but everything is in Lubbuck.
THANKS


What are you going to feed them? :?
 

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
LOL I said 1 nurse and 2 calves......Stockmans has some hay and the coop has feed..........
Tomorrow putting fence up so will have the full 3 acres fenced.

wanting to get self sufficient with chickens and beef and milk LOL
Still working on garden :shock:
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,205
Reaction score
441
Location
Big Muddy valley
MsSage said:
LOL I said 1 nurse and 2 calves......Stockmans has some hay and the coop has feed..........
Tomorrow putting fence up so will have the full 3 acres fenced.

wanting to get self sufficient with chickens and beef and milk LOL
Still working on garden :shock:

How self sufficient will you be if you have to buy hay and grain. Probably cheaper to by milk, eggs and beef. :?
 

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
well at $4.50 a gallon milk and $3 a dozen eggs it comes out cheaper buying feed.
Beef is processed at $2.50 a pound (including all fees) but just to buy its $3.50-4.00 a pound.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,205
Reaction score
441
Location
Big Muddy valley
MsSage said:
well at $4.50 a gallon milk and $3 a dozen eggs it comes out cheaper buying feed.
Beef is processed at $2.50 a pound (including all fees) but just to buy its $3.50-4.00 a pound.

What is hay/ pound? What about a 100wt of corn?
 

hillsdown

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 5, 2007
Messages
1,669
Reaction score
0
Location
Central Alberta,Canada
Big Muddy rancher said:
MsSage said:
well at $4.50 a gallon milk and $3 a dozen eggs it comes out cheaper buying feed.
Beef is processed at $2.50 a pound (including all fees) but just to buy its $3.50-4.00 a pound.

What is hay/ pound? What about a 100wt of corn?

Maybe ,,but think of the fun Ms Sage will have milking twice a day, everyday, day in ,day out ... :roll: :lol: :p
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,205
Reaction score
441
Location
Big Muddy valley
hillsdown said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
MsSage said:
well at $4.50 a gallon milk and $3 a dozen eggs it comes out cheaper buying feed.
Beef is processed at $2.50 a pound (including all fees) but just to buy its $3.50-4.00 a pound.

What is hay/ pound? What about a 100wt of corn?

Maybe ,,but think of the fun Ms Sage will have milking twice a day, everyday, day in ,day out ... :roll: :lol: :p

Ya fun :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was just making sure she had done her home work. :D
 

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
LOL yeap I have done the homework. Since I dont go anywhere anyways LOL
it will be a stress relief after I get home and before I go to work handling milking. I understand it will be day in day out...rain...snow...cold wind ect HAIL I would rejoice for the mositure LOL
Funny thing is I am on vaction this week and see where I am, HOME doing work on my place getting ready for winter and praying for snow. Yeap Shoer will be driving through Amarillo tomorrow afternoon, but he cant stop so I will keep working on the fence. SO see I need something to do other than sit on the computer LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
29,282
Reaction score
490
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Do you know how to MILK a cow, Mssage?

I say this, because at one time I wanted to learn to milk and never
could get the hang of it. Until........Mr. FH was guiding hunters
and was late getting home. The milk cow was bawling....she was
a gentle thing......so I went down to milk her. I put her grain
in the manger and proceeded to milk. I didn't have a lot of success.
I think if I had let her, she would have done it better by herself.

She was real easy milking cow, the milk
would run out of her teats. Anyhow, she would turn around and look
at me, like 'what's taking so long'? :D So I would give her more
grain. She would cough. I would milk. She would look at me.
I'd get more grain. Finally after 45 minutes, I mastered milking
her. After that, I could milk her in 10 minutes. I learned two
things right there. There is a big difference between 'want to'
and 'have to' and milking is something I should have never learned
to do. :p :wink:

Good luck and have fun. Find a cow that's EASY to milk. Not all
of them are, you know.
 

MsSage

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2005
Messages
4,716
Reaction score
1
Location
NW Panhandle Texas
yeah I had to learn on one of the sick "registered" jerseys at the dairy. She had to be hand milked because the hospital pens had lost air pressure......yeah took me about 30 mins the first time but then got pretty good at it LOL
Yall forget I spent over 2 years working the dairy in the hospital/ calving area so I know a bit about jerseys :D
 

Latest posts

Top