• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No cows no more

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
Saturday was the end of my life as I've known it for the last 25 years. Our cows have gone to their new home, I hope they work out for their new owner as well as they had for us. The true reality of it hit yesterday when we were cleaning out the barns for the last time. I stood in the one barn remembering all the hours spent in there, reliving the joys of bringing new calves into the world, and the heartbreak of losing the odd one here and there. I've had a lump in my throat since then that won't go away, and tears pricking at the corners of my eyes that threaten to spill at any given moment. I am honestly going to miss those cows for a long time to come.

Hang in ther Shelly, I thought about you all day saturday. Just think, you'll still get to see them, and won't have as much work :? I know that doesn't help right now. But they are in good hands.

And...maybe this means you'll have time to plan a trip to Oregon :)

Nicky said:
Hang in ther Shelly, I thought about you all day saturday. Just think, you'll still get to see them, and won't have as much work :? I know that doesn't help right now. But they are in good hands.

And...maybe this means you'll have time to plan a trip to Oregon :)
And Alberta :)

Hopefully nobody feels its thier business to post unsolisted advice,or tell you its no wonder the Canadian cattle industry is going to the dumps :evil:

Are they close enough where you can visit them?

Sounds silly but I've done that when we've sold ' favorites'.

I'd pack up my pockets with range cubes and go visit'em awhile!!!

Actually, Kola, as Nicky knows, they are not too far from here. About two or three miles. The thing is with me, is I am so used to going out and spending time with them whenever I wanted, now I have to phone ahead to see if I can go over. I did retain ownership on three (of course one of them showed up open yesterday!) so I made a deal with the guy that I would come help him whenever he needed in exchange for them staying at his place with the rest. But, really, it just ain't the same.

Shelly said:
Actually, Kola, as Nicky knows, they are not too far from here. About two or three miles. The thing is with me, is I am so used to going out and spending time with them whenever I wanted, now I have to phone ahead to see if I can go over. I did retain ownership on three (of course one of them showed up open yesterday!) so I made a deal with the guy that I would come help him whenever he needed in exchange for them staying at his place with the rest. But, really, it just ain't the same.

Pack up your pockets and go hug their necks and visit a'spell!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Went past there today, could pick our cows out from the rest. It wrenches at my heart seeing them over there and not here.

It's just damn hard to accept!

It sound like you could use a few million (((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))).

Here are a few cyber ones, to get ya started. Seems like this is a real tough time for lots of us around the boards.........hopefully, next week will be better! :)

Sorry you are missing your bovine buddies, Shelly. If you are real lonesome, you could sure come down to the middle part of the USA and I can promise you a night calving job come the last of February through the month of March. You would get to hang out with cattle (even though they are the wrong color) and experience the miracle of calves' births. It would be so much fun it would almost seem like a paid vacation. This is a serious offer. :wink: :)

Best of luck to you coping with the empty stall syndrome.

Shelly said:
Shelly you did something i hope i never have to experience,i can't even imagine what you are going through.By the way,you never have to phone to see if you can come over and see your cows,the gate is always open for you!!!I promise i will take good care of your cows,but it will still be your job to spoil them :) .

Hi Shelly;
As hard as it is to believe, there is life after cows!! We sold ours two years ago. We wrestled in our minds for three years before we finally sold them. At this time in our lives it has turned out to be that it was the best thing that we could have done. We get to see them in the summer and work with them when it is convient for us. Their new owner takes good care of them, and has become a very good friend.

Knowing what we do now...If we had to do it again, would we?? Absolutly.

JDBalerman

3words said:
Shelly said:
Shelly you did something i hope i never have to experience,i can't even imagine what you are going through.By the way,you never have to phone to see if you can come over and see your cows,the gate is always open for you!!!I promise i will take good care of your cows,but it will still be your job to spoil them :) .
:) Well at least you know your cattle will be looked after Shelly,your lucky to have such a good friend :!:

Latest posts