• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No rain all summer and now this:

Help Support Ranchers.net:

You wouldn't believe the crap going on in my life. I dont even believe it 100% haha.
Isn't that the truth! I sometimes think I must have dreamed some of the things that have happened to me in the last two months. I can't seem to get one thing resolved and the harder I try the more difficult it gets. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I find it hard to even pray without questioning God for overlooking so many people when he passed out brains. I think it must have something doing with St Peter asking folks if they wanted brains and they misunderstood and thought he said trains, so they replied, "No thanks we will take the bus."

Nothing too serious here but I sure been running some serious bad luck the last couple days. Tuesday evening I was taking a bale out to the calves. Some how I rolled a front tire off the rim. Didn't hear or feel anything. Ruined the tube, tire, and rim. Too late to call the tire store so it had to wait until morning. There is a plastic "white board fence" in front of the house. The calves somehow managed to break off a post. Fixed the post. There is a hot wire on the inside of that fence. I hadn't used it this year. I got the wire all straightened out. It has a solar/battery charger. The battery was dead. I went to wright down the tire size to tell the tire store. First three ink pens I tried wouldn't write. The power company was replacing poles so the power was turned off. The cordless phones and the answering machine don't work without power. Today I went up the hill to cut firewood. The saw chain is running pretty much full speed all the time. I thought it was the clutch bearing which is fairly common. Not the bearing. 20 years of falling timber I pretty well know chain saws. This one has my stumped. No chain saw shop in Baker anymore. I need to find a good saw mechanic. Other than that it has been smooth sailing this week.

Nothing too serious here but I sure been running some serious bad luck the last couple days. Tuesday evening I was taking a bale out to the calves. Some how I rolled a front tire off the rim. Didn't hear or feel anything. Ruined the tube, tire, and rim. Too late to call the tire store so it had to wait until morning. There is a plastic "white board fence" in front of the house. The calves somehow managed to break off a post. Fixed the post. There is a hot wire on the inside of that fence. I hadn't used it this year. I got the wire all straightened out. It has a solar/battery charger. The battery was dead. I went to wright down the tire size to tell the tire store. First three ink pens I tried wouldn't write. The power company was replacing poles so the power was turned off. The cordless phones and the answering machine don't work without power. Today I went up the hill to cut firewood. The saw chain is running pretty much full speed all the time. I thought it was the clutch bearing which is fairly common. Not the bearing. 20 years of falling timber I pretty well know chain saws. This one has my stumped. No chain saw shop in Baker anymore. I need to find a good saw mechanic. Other than that it has been smooth sailing this week.
I thought trouble ran in threes. You sure shot that theory.
I hope things are better tomorrow.

Try Adam Wirth, Adam's All Around Repair. Not sure if he does chainsaws but he's a good mechanic and a sort of relative :)

Webby I bought me a nice Huskavarna saw last fall and I'm surely happy with it. I don't have the timber y'all have but it makes great firewood in this juniper and piñon country. I really like Stihl saws but they know what they want for them so I tried Husky's. (Pardon my spelling please)
Remember the Hee Haw song- If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all? Story of my life 😁

Webby I bought me a nice Huskavarna saw last fall and I'm surely happy with it. I don't have the timber y'all have but it makes great firewood in this juniper and piñon country. I really like Stihl saws but they know what they want for them so I tried Husky's. (Pardon my spelling please)
Remember the Hee Haw song- If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all? Story of my life 😁
Twenty years of falling timber, I have Stihl saws. Actually the one that broke down is the one I had in my hands when I broke my back nearly 30 years ago. It is an 066 which is a big saw but I don't have to wait for it to cut through something. I am cutting Junipers that some previous owner fell. They are up off the ground on the limbs and nice and dry. Some are pretty big. Several of them a 32 inch bar wont reach straight through on the first 4 or 5 cuts. The other little saw with a 20 inch bar is sort of slow going on that kind. There is a big one I fell to get out of the way on spring development project that was 42 inches on the stump. I am leaving that one to dry for next years firewood.

Our local feed store has ordered in a tanker full from QLF Liquid Supplements. It supposedly contains the mossases, protein, mineral and vitamins needed to make straw a complete ration. We are splitting the load with another customer, each getting 2500 gallons. The straw that I've gotten is fine and chaffee and the bales are fragile. They will be a challenge to handle. The bales explode if you try to tip them on end so we are jury-rigging an injection system to try. If that doesn't work, we'll have to put it out free choice in tanks but I'd sure rather ration it out to try to keep costs down. Every time I've put out free choice supplements, the cows ate about four times the amount that the salesman said they would!

WF - Wow! No chainsaw place in Baker. The last time I was down there, the Knapps were still going strong and had saws backed up for days or sometimes weeks. I just searched and found out Vern died back in 2014 at age 78. I knew him when he worked for Cliffs, then he and Alice bought out Snoose Williams chainsaw repair and sold Huskies. Is Cliff's gone also? I know it went more to motorcycles and ATVs after Kip took over. Does your Ace repair saws? Our Ace hardware here is also our Sthil shop and does repairs. With your 20 years of sawyer experience, I seriously doubt you will find a mechanic that knows more than you do about your old .066.

LH - I am surprised that Huskies in your area are cheaper than Sthils. Your temperatures are a bit too cold for my liking hahaha!

Cliffs is still there but quit selling chainsaws as there are several other dealers. We thought he might still repair them, but I'm guessing webfoot must have asked them.

Cliffs is still there but quit selling chainsaws as there are several other dealers. We thought he might still repair them, but I'm guessing webfoot must have asked them.
My local Ace guy says Thatcher's Ace Hardware in BC sells and repairs Stihl.

I had Cliffs repair a saw twice before. That was enough for me. Ace does but they don't repair them in Baker they send them over to La Grande. I tried to find out who and where in La Grande with no luck. I took it to the saw shop in Ontario this morning. It is a clutch issue. Something Cliffs fixed for me a year ago. Less than 3 gallons of gas through the saw since then. That place in Ontario is a Stihl dealer and has their own mechanic shop. I am certain an 066 is a bigger saw than they are use to working on. But a saw clutch is a saw clutch. Just make sure to use the right parts.

I had Cliffs repair a saw twice before. That was enough for me. Ace does but they don't repair them in Baker they send them over to La Grande. I tried to find out who and where in La Grande with no luck. I took it to the saw shop in Ontario this morning. It is a clutch issue. Something Cliffs fixed for me a year ago. Less than 3 gallons of gas through the saw since then. That place in Ontario is a Stihl dealer and has their own mechanic shop. I am certain an 066 is a bigger saw than they are use to working on. But a saw clutch is a saw clutch. Just make sure to use the right parts.
After Vern left Cliff's in the early 1980s, their service went to poo. Glad you found a place in Ontario that can fix the clutch problem.

After Vern left Cliff's in the early 1980s, their service went to poo. Glad you found a place in Ontario that can fix the clutch problem.
Cliff's just sells Honda bikes, quads, and SxS. I don't think they do much service work on them. Rob Cripe has a shop at his house. He does much better work for less money. His shop is always full and 30 or so quads outside waiting in line. One of the real nice things is if you own a ranch you go to the front of the line ahead of the weekend riders. One guy I know bought a quad over in Ontario. The salesman was starting to talk about their service department. My friend cut him off saying we have a guy over in Baker, you will never see this quad again.

Last I knew they still did service work, that's where we get ours worked on. I know they have had a hard time getting people to work, imagine that?! Will check out your guy tho.

Cliff's just sells Honda bikes, quads, and SxS. I don't think they do much service work on them. Rob Cripe has a shop at his house. He does much better work for less money. His shop is always full and 30 or so quads outside waiting in line. One of the real nice things is if you own a ranch you go to the front of the line ahead of the weekend riders. One guy I know bought a quad over in Ontario. The salesman was starting to talk about their service department. My friend cut him off saying we have a guy over in Baker, you will never see this quad again

Isn't that the truth! I sometimes think I must have dreamed some of the things that have happened to me in the last two months. I can't seem to get one thing resolved and the harder I try the more difficult it gets. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. I find it hard to even pray without questioning God for overlooking so many people when he passed out brains. I think it must have something doing with St Peter asking folks if they wanted brains and they misunderstood and thought he said trains, so they replied, "No thanks we will take the bus."
I have been finding that the less I worry about my problems and the less I try to fix things,then the more God does to make ways where there are no ways and make things way better than I ever could have.
The more God does,the easier it is for me to trust him and the more peaceful I am. I just have to trust God and believe.
I'm just amazed at how Jesus has taken all these horrible things in my life that where meant to hurt me and has used them to make things so much better. I have actually been happy when I had every reason not to be and now things are really starting to come together for us.
As far as the other people who received trains instead of brains 😁 just remember that without Goliath we would not have David and without Judas we wouldn't have had a Savior😀
Haha sorry if I sound preachy. Its just that the good Lord has really been coming through for me. Wish I would have been in with him more years ago.

Trust me things can get worse. Haha I have to concentrate on what I still have and how great things are going to be.

Trust me things can get worse. Haha I have to concentrate on what I still have and how great things are going to be.
I wasn't complaining or intended to complain. Just a list things that went wrong. I am truly bless and I know it. I thank God every day for the life I am blessed with because I certainly don't deserve it.

Latest posts