• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No Sign Consumers Reacting Negatively To BSE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Cattle Outlook: No Sign Consumers Reacting Negatively To BSE



There are no signs that U.S. consumers have reacted negatively to the second confirmed case of BSE in the United States. The futures prices for live cattle at the close on Thursday, was higher by $0.25 to 1.40 per cwt than the close before the announcement of the second case of BSE was confirmed.



Certainly the probabilities are extremely low that a consumer will be impacted negatively health wise by eating U.S. beef. It is rewarding to see U.S. consumers use science rather than emotions as they react to the BSE problem in the U.S.



Cash prices also support no negative reaction to the announcement of the second confirmed case of BSE in the U.S. Cash fed cattle prices are within $2.00 per cwt of the price before the announcement. Wholesale beef prices are also very close to the same level this Friday as the preannouncement price.



Oklahoma City did not have a sale this week because of the July 4 holiday. However, nationally feeder steers sold steady to weak with some calves $1-4 per cwt lower a few places in the southeast.



The wholesale price of beef this Friday showed choice beef at $135.04 per cwt down $0.42 per cwt and select beef down $1.02 per cwt at $131.59 per cwt.



The differential between choice and select beef this Friday was down to $3.45 per cwt as feedlots have held onto cattle longer getting them heavier with a higher percentage choice. Weights are running around 15 lbs heavier than 12 months earlier. The differential between choice and select beef 2 months ago was almost $16 per cwt.



Cow slaughter for the year through the week ending June 25 was down 6.4 percent. Beef cow slaughter for this period was down 7.1 percent and dairy cow slaughter was down 6 percent. For the four weeks ending June 25 cow slaughter was down over 9 percent from 12 months earlier.



We expect the Cattle inventory and cow herd will both show growth from 2004 when we get the July 1 inventory on July 22.



Cash fed cattle price this week through Thursday for the 5 market area at $80.95 per cwt was up $0.69 from a week earlier. Carcass based fed cattle price this week through Thursday was up $1.00 per cwt at $129.00 per cwt.



Slaughter this week under Federal Inspection was estimated at 548 thousand head --- up 2.8 percent from a year earlier.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
It is rewarding to see U.S. consumers use science rather than emotions as they react to the BSE problem in the U.S.
Yes it is rewarding to see, maybe we haven't giving the US consumers enough credit here. :) They seem to be looking at the SCIENCE not the EMOTIONS and cattle prices like one BEEF organization was. Now maybe if Cebull takes notice that the US consumers don't fear beef coming from a country minimally affected by BSE, this whole stupid mess will be dealt with on the basis of science not fear and the pocketbook. :roll:
 

Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Kansas
Tam...Yes it is rewarding to see, maybe we haven't giving the US consumers enough credit here.

So you ,SH and all the others that have been saying R-CALF will destroy consumer confidence in beef, are wrong Tam. :eek:
 

redriver

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Location
se mb
Tam, I have always given the US consumer credit for being wise to all the bs coming at them from all directions. They are much smarter than those morons from Montana.
Haymaker sure is a joke, now he's proving how pointless r-calf's position really is. He had better get his story straight, oh I forgot, r-calfers are always changing their story. [/b]
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
redriver said:
Tam, I have always given the US consumer credit for being wise to all the bs coming at them from all directions. They are much smarter than those morons from Montana.
Haymaker sure is a joke, now he's proving how pointless r-calf's position really is. He had better get his story straight, oh I forgot, r-calfers are always changing their story. [/b]


R CALF's position has always been about market fairness, that wont change.I believe most folks understand that,but there will always be that few wannna be's like your self that whine all to no avail,you are pathetic,why dont you focus on the positives that will do you some good,luckily you are'nt the typical canadian cattle man that is working hard to create demand for his product.You are gonna fit in nicely with the rest of the whiners here...............good luck PS when you take a vacation remember TX I sure would like to meet you.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Tommy said:
Tam...Yes it is rewarding to see, maybe we haven't giving the US consumers enough credit here.

So you ,SH and all the others that have been saying R-CALF will destroy consumer confidence in beef, are wrong Tam. :eek:

Tommy you and the US beef producer are damn lucky we were wrong but please don't count you blessing before R-CALF gets done at Billings on the 27th. As to win their court case they will have to prove just how unsafe our beef is in there eyes. Since the US has it's very own BSE cases the victory may be short lived. Proving our beef is unsafe is going to have big ramifications for the US beef producers. If the Media covers this case like some think they will and R-CALF hopes they will, (as we know how they crave media attention to the point of siding up with the enemy to get it) the reaction may be short lived or it may be felt by your grandchildren. It all depends on how thick the R-CALF lawyers have to lay on the lies to get the outcome they want and that is the border closed permanently.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
HAY MAKER said:
redriver said:
Tam, I have always given the US consumer credit for being wise to all the bs coming at them from all directions. They are much smarter than those morons from Montana.
Haymaker sure is a joke, now he's proving how pointless r-calf's position really is. He had better get his story straight, oh I forgot, r-calfers are always changing their story. [/b]


R CALF's position has always been about market fairness, that wont change.I believe most folks understand that,but there will always be that few wannna be's like your self that whine all to no avail,you are pathetic,why dont you focus on the positives that will do you some good,luckily you are'nt the typical canadian cattle man that is working hard to create demand for his product.You are gonna fit in nicely with the rest of the whiners here...............good luck PS when you take a vacation remember TX I sure would like to meet you.

Haymaker you are so full of it they could fertilize Texas with you. :wink:
R-CALF is not about market fairness. :roll:
They are about getting import trade shut down so you don't have to compete with anyone for markets. :nod:
If they were about fairness they wouldn't be out lieing about the safety of our beef to stop the border openning and while telling consumer .
don’t worry we have had these firewalls in place for years, the only country prior to having a case of BSE to have these firewalls in place for so many years. And we did it to make sure if a case was ever found it was a non-issue.
:roll: and
Canadians still process downers but the US doesn't
straight from the month of Lyin Leo.
Thank God that most do understand where they are coming from :clap:
As that is probably why you haven't seen a big reaction to the BSE US born and bred case. :)
You my big Texan friend are the pathetic one You have you head so far up Leo's butt you can't hear what he is saying. :wink: Which will not be positive for any of us if he doesn't stop. :x And Yes we do have to focus on the positive and I find it very positive that the US consumers aren't listening to R-CALF :D
 

Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Kansas
Tam...Tommy you and the US beef producer are damn lucky we were wrong but please don't count you blessing before R-CALF gets done at Billings on the 27th.

Tam, you have been saying R-CALF is destroying consumer confidence, that they have bought off Judge Cebull, and lies about everything. You are wrong. Don't you wish you had an organization up there with enough guts to fight for you like R-CALF is for the USA cattle producer? All you can do is cry "the sky is falling" and it is R-CALF's fault.
 

Tam

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
12,759
Reaction score
0
Location
Sask
Tommy said:
Tam...Tommy you and the US beef producer are damn lucky we were wrong but please don't count you blessing before R-CALF gets done at Billings on the 27th.

Tam, you have been saying R-CALF is destroying consumer confidence, that they have bought off Judge Cebull, and lies about everything. You are wrong. Don't you wish you had an organization up there with enough guts to fight for you like R-CALF is for the USA cattle producer? All you can do is cry "the sky is falling" and it is R-CALF's fault.

What I want is a beef organization that has a little intergrity and that is not what R-CALF is about. You say I said they lie well prove to me that they didn't Leo said the US tested 150,000 head more cattle annually would you like to see the numbers again Tommy. Leo said Canada was still processing downers and the US isn't Well Tommy we can't even haul them so how do we process them and Tommy wasn't the Texas Cow taken to a slaughter plant first but when she got there she was dead and then sent to a pet food plant. Why did the Truck take her to the SLAUGHTER house if she was that bad off. And Tommy is all beef coming from a country affected from BSE tainted and unsafe remember we are talking about US beef now too. And is Lloyd DeBrucker not a member of R-CALF because he was quoted in the papaers as whining about how the Canadian packers took advantage of him when they bought his Canadian cattle but Leo said NO R-CALF MEMBERS OWNED CATTLE IN CANADA. Do I need to go on. R-CALF lies and you will never prove otherwise and again you are damn luck the US consumer didn't listen and the trial isn't over yet.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
T: "So you ,SH and all the others that have been saying R-CALF will destroy consumer confidence in beef, are wrong Tam."

I have always stated that R-CULT's BSE words and actions could come back to haunt this industry, if they were believed by the media.

"IF" R-CULT was seen as a credible source of information on BSE by the media, they would have destroyed consumer confidence in beef. That's not even debatable. That threat is still there with R-CULT's binding court case and how that could be picked up by the media.

How can R-CULT say that "Canadian beef is of high risk because Canada had a case of BSE in their native herd" then turn around and say that "U.S. beef is the safest in the world due to the BSE firewalls we have in place" now that we have a case of BSE within our domestic herd when CANADA HAS TAKEN THE SAME BSE PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES WE HAVE FROM THE START?

Only a fool would not see through that smokescreen and only a bigger fool would try to defend it, TOMMY!


Why would Canada wish they had a lying deceptive organization like R-CULT in Canada?

Are you proud of their hypocrisy regarding BSE?


~SH~
 

HAY MAKER

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
8,789
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
~SH~ said:
T: "So you ,SH and all the others that have been saying R-CALF will destroy consumer confidence in beef, are wrong Tam."

I have always stated that R-CULT's BSE words and actions could come back to haunt this industry, if they were believed by the media.

"IF" R-CULT was seen as a credible source of information on BSE by the media, they would have destroyed consumer confidence in beef. That's not even debatable. That threat is still there with R-CULT's binding court case and how that could be picked up by the media.

How can R-CULT say that "Canadian beef is of high risk because Canada had a case of BSE in their native herd" then turn around and say that "U.S. beef is the safest in the world due to the BSE firewalls we have in place" now that we have a case of BSE within our domestic herd when CANADA HAS TAKEN THE SAME BSE PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES WE HAVE FROM THE START?

Only a fool would not see through that smokescreen and only a bigger fool would try to defend it, TOMMY!


Why would Canada wish they had a lying deceptive organization like R-CULT in Canada?

Are you proud of their hypocrisy regarding BSE?


~SH~


So whats your story this week ~SH~R CALF is not destroying the cattle industry,because no one believes them? Talk about skunks running from a burning wood pile,you must keep you track shoes handy...............good luck
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Hayseed,

I think even you can figure this one out. Follow along with me.

CANADA FINDS BSE IN THEIR NATIVE HERD!

Are you still with me?

I'll start over.

CANADA FINDS BSE IN THEIR NATIVE HERD!

Still with me? Good!

R-CULT SAYS CANADIAN BEEF IS "HIGH RISK" BECAUSE THEY FOUND BSE IN THEIR NATIVE HERD!

Still with me? Good!

U.S. FINDS BSE IN THEIR NATIVE HERD IN TEXAS!

Still with me? Good!

R-CULT SAYS WE HAVE THE SAFEST BEEF IN THE WORLD FOLLOWING THE U.S. FINDING BSE IN THEIR NATIVE HERD?

What's wrong with that picture Hayseed?

CANADA HAS BSE - R-CULT SAYS CANADIAN BEEF "HIGH RISK"

U.S. HAS BSE - R-CULT SAYS U.S.BEEF "SAFEST BEEF IN THE WORLD"

Do you see the problem Hayseed?

BOTH CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES HAVE BSE IN THEIR NATIVE HERD AND BOTH COUNTRIES HAVE TAKEN THE SAME PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES. How can Canada be "high risk" while the U.S. has the safest beef in the world????

R-CULT is either lying about the safety of Canadian beef or they are lying about the safety of U.S. beef because the circumstances are exactly the same. There is no difference between the Canadian and U.S. herds.

So which one is R-CALF lying about Hayseed? Are they lying about the safety of Canadian beef or are they lying about the safety of U.S. beef?

If the media choses to believe R-CULT about BSE in Canada, then U.S. beef is of "HIGH RISK" because we have BSE in our native herd JUST LIKE CANADA.

If the media sees R-CULT as the lying deceptive outfit they are and disregards what they say, there is no damage to U.S. beef consumption.

Obviously, the media chose not to believe R-CULT or demand for our beef would be in the tank right now!

What's so hard to understand about that?



~SH~
 

redriver

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Location
se mb
Hay Maker, are all Texans as ridiculous as you sound? You are embarrassing yourself. As far as taking a vacation in Texas, I don't know of anything that would be worth seeing in that godforsaken place, not to mention having to put up with ignorant jerks like yourself.[/b]
 

redriver

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 9, 2005
Messages
194
Reaction score
0
Location
se mb
"No sign that consumers are reacting negatively"????
Live cattle futures are at a 15-month low, so you call that positive? Hayseed, you are either blind, deaf, and stupid, or you are just another liar from r-cult.[/b]
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
redriver said:
"No sign that consumers are reacting negatively"????
Live cattle futures are at a 15-month low, so you call that positive? Hayseed, you are either blind, deaf, and stupid, or you are just another liar from r-cult.[/b]

Is it drop in demand- or fear of the border opening and the glut of cheap Canadian cattle that would follow- along with the Packers ability to manipulate the US prices again?

-----------
Cattle Market Comments - Ann Barnhardt

Today 7/11/2005 1:22:00 PM


Low-Carb Market Wrap



Cattle and feeders got their respective little red wagons painted as the trade spontaneously decided that today was the day to be terrified of the Canadian border opening. Nothing new happened. No announcements were made. Everyone just decided, in tandem, to panic over something that we have been fully exposed to for quite some time now.
 

Beefman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
252
Reaction score
0
redriver: (to haymaker) “Hay Maker, are all Texans as ridiculous as you sound? You are embarrassing yourself. As far as taking a vacation in Texas, I don't know of anything that would be worth seeing in that godforsaken place, not to mention having to put up with ignorant jerks like yourself”.

Settle down redriver. The #1 cow state in the nation represents itself much better than what we’ve had to endure on this board.

According to their recent media guide, the #1 cow/calf organization in the state, the Texas & SW Cattleraisers Assn has a paid subscriber base of 14,249. Interestingly enough, only 2.8% (again, according to their media survey) admit to being R Calf members.

In a recent R Calf press release, R Calf membership chair for TX Stayton Weldon (one of the original plaintiffs in Pickett v IPB) admits “it’s been a struggle to grow numbers in the Lone Star state, but says he and his regional volunteers are up for the challenge.”

So give those Texans credit for being smarter than you’ve been led to believe.

Beefman
 

Beefman

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 27, 2005
Messages
252
Reaction score
0
OT, if you're going to quote Ann, better get the whole story. You should’ve added the following sentence at the end of the paragraph. (rest of Anne Barnhardt) “It rather reminds me of the 450 sheep who nose-dived off of the 150 foot cliff in Turkey last week. Don't get me started on sheep analogies. Seriously.”

You also forgot something else she posted this morning: “If you know how to market cattle, the world is your oyster, no matter what the screwballs up in Montana do. Don't fret about things you have no control over.”

Have we ever seen the market soften between July 4 and Labor Day? What does the choice select spread normally do now? When it’s nearly 100 degrees in the midwest, as it was this past weekend, how many people head to their outdoor bbq grill? How bout all those unfortunate people in the southeast ….do you think many of them dug the grill out this weekend? Do you think $2.25+ gas has anything to do with this?

I wonder if Ms. Barnhardt wrote her Canadian comment very tongue-in-cheek. Much like I must wonder if your comment…..

(From OT) “is it drop in demand- or fear of the border opening and the glut of cheap Canadian cattle that would follow- along with the Packers ability to manipulate the US prices again?”

…..is also very tongue-in-cheek.

Beefman
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Beefman said:
OT, if you're going to quote Ann, better get the whole story. You should’ve added the following sentence at the end of the paragraph. (rest of Anne Barnhardt) “It rather reminds me of the 450 sheep who nose-dived off of the 150 foot cliff in Turkey last week. Don't get me started on sheep analogies. Seriously.”

You also forgot something else she posted this morning: “If you know how to market cattle, the world is your oyster, no matter what the screwballs up in Montana do. Don't fret about things you have no control over.”

Have we ever seen the market soften between July 4 and Labor Day? What does the choice select spread normally do now? When it’s nearly 100 degrees in the midwest, as it was this past weekend, how many people head to their outdoor bbq grill? How bout all those unfortunate people in the southeast ….do you think many of them dug the grill out this weekend? Do you think $2.25+ gas has anything to do with this?

I wonder if Ms. Barnhardt wrote her Canadian comment very tongue-in-cheek. Much like I must wonder if your comment…..

(From OT) “is it drop in demand- or fear of the border opening and the glut of cheap Canadian cattle that would follow- along with the Packers ability to manipulate the US prices again?”

…..is also very tongue-in-cheek.

Beefman

Beefman- we're even-- You didn't post her other quote-the Thought of the Day- I intentionally didn't because I didn't want to hurt the egos of any corporate beancounters... :lol:

Thought of the Day:
"The herd instinct among economists makes sheep look like independent thinkers."
 

Latest posts

Top