• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Not a cheap cow . . . .

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
Canadian cow goes for $1.2 million at auction

Toronto's annual Royal Agricultural Winter Fair is wrapping up this weekend with a visit from a very wealthy guest: Missy, a 3-year-old dairy cow that sold at auction Thursday for $1.2 million, only the second cow in Canada to hit the million dollar mark.

While the two buyers, from the U.S. and Denmark, have the rights to the genetically superior Missy's embryos, she'll remain at Morsan Farms in Ponoka, Alta. She could have as many as 75 calves over the course of her life.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/726107--canadian-cow-goes-for-1-2-million-at-auction?bn=1

Just petty cash - are you telling me you do not have this kind of money lying around?

I thought all folks in ag were rich 8)

BC

Broke Cowboy said:
Just petty cash - are you telling me you do not have this kind of money lying around?

I thought all folks in ag were rich 8)

BC

I'm not telling you anything. It's just that my discretionary spending for the month was already committed . . . . :wink:

Even if she does produce 75 embryo calves the $1.2 price tag would put them at $16,000 a head before embryo transfer costs. Then half the calves would be bulls :shock: Quite a price tag!

Grassfarmer said:
Even if she does produce 75 embryo calves the $1.2 price tag would put them at $16,000 a head before embryo transfer costs. Then half the calves would be bulls :shock: Quite a price tag!

I would think they would sex the embyros before implanting them.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Grassfarmer said:

I would think they would sex the embyros before implanting them.

OK, so they dump the male half of the embryos - cost is now $32,000 a head. :wink: I wasn't costing the implanting stage - or the fact that they may only get 60-70% conception with the implanted embryos.

Considering all the income she'll generate.....she was prob a bargain at that price!!

Wouldn't they make more money letting the male embryos take, and then get some AI bulls out of it? I would think that since almost all dairy cows are AI'd, that would be where the money would be.

Or maybe someone has just too much money, and needs one heck of a tax writeoff..... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Rest assured they didn't invest this kinda money without doing a fair amount of research about the cow and her cow family. She obviously is a cow capable of transmitting her good qualities to her progeny.

And I was happy getting 10,000 for our bull at the Edmonton Farm Fair Gelbvieh Futurity last week........all he has to do now is draw and freeze. But I'll be using up the profits on $35 straw bales keeping him well bedded, gotta love our drought!

perfecho said:
And I was happy getting 10,000 for our bull at the Edmonton Farm Fair Gelbvieh Futurity last week........all he has to do now is draw and freeze. But I'll be using up the profits on $35 straw bales keeping him well bedded, gotta love our drought!

Congratulations, that is phenomenal. I am sorry I missed farm fair this year as I heard GV's stole the show.. :D

As far as the drought I understand. .

I am sorry again as I cannot comment about the original said thread.. :gag:

Latest posts