• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Not enough help.....or was the 'moon sign' wrong?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mrj

Reaction score
Part of our crew set out last Friday to bring home about 500 cows and their calves for weaning. They knew they were short handed, and it would be dicey getting them home before dark, given the distance, big pasture, etc. They did get them into a different pasture, but had to give up before getting them where they wanted them.

Saturday morning was a few degrees below 0, and first day of deer season. We also got about a foot of new snow overnight, but they did have a couple more guys for the crew, and decided to 'lead the cows with a tractor with a couple of bales, which could also doze a track for them. A friend who was helping said his son (maybe 8 or 9 years old) was really mad at him because he wouldn't let the son come to help. They got along pretty well, including getting the cows past a new building site which didn't need any cows tromping on it!

There were some deer hunters on the place who marveled at the guys riding and moving cows in that weather. Our crew wondered at the sanity of the hunters who didn't HAVE to be out in that weather, while the hunters thought the cowboys had to be crazy to be out there!

Do any of you ranchers on here consider the 'moon sign' thing when doing your work? I've heard only a little about it, and wonder if there is something to it because sometimes cattle can be so obstinate, or just plain don't 'work' as well as they do other times. Normally, 'slowing down to make better time' and working them easy makes it go just fine, but once in a rare while nothing seems to help them along.

mrj

I mostly only consider the sign for castrating or weaning. The main consideration being to check it when it doesn't go well in hindsight. It can sure look to make a difference. I would say the barometer has more to do with how well cows work, but the main factor IMO, is how well you can match the cows natural speed and inclination to the task at hand. That can vary with the weather and the moon phase.

Haytrucker said:
I mostly only consider the sign for castrating or weaning. The main consideration being to check it when it doesn't go well in hindsight. It can sure look to make a difference. I would say the barometer has more to do with how well cows work, but the main factor IMO, is how well you can match the cows natural speed and inclination to the task at hand. That can vary with the weather and the moon phase.

How would the moon have been on the 2nd of november thats the day we weaned bull calves and cut anything that did'nt make the keeping pen. The calves I cut did'nt bleed hardly at all and we did'nt have any swelling issues or death loss. It pretty much went as best as it could. Therefore I was thinking what the moon faze for that day would have been. The bull calves did'nt hardly ball for the cows maybe 1 1/2 days at best 30 hours into it they were quite content. We ended up keeping 34 bulls and cut close to 50 others.Most were cut mainly for being young but we did cut 2 really nice calves on attitude alone.

I totally believe the sign effects temperament and handling, and blood in the chute and bawling. Let's just say, if I've processed all day, I'll wager on the sign. I know it sounds like hokus pokus mamby jahamby. Too many examples both good and bad agreed with the sign. I work as logistics dictate, my Dad would pay heed to the sign.

I've also noticed cattle seem to handle quiet when only lunatics would be out trying to handle them. It's like they say this guy is crazy, we better do what he wants.

Brad S said:
I totally believe the sign effects temperament and handling, and blood in the chute and bawling. Let's just say, if I've processed all day, I'll wager on the sign. I know it sounds like hokus pokus mamby jahamby. Too many examples both good and bad agreed with the sign. I work as logistics dictate, my Dad would pay heed to the sign.

I've also noticed cattle seem to handle quiet when only lunatics would be out trying to handle them. It's like they say this guy is crazy, we better do what he wants.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

We don't use the signs of the moon for planning ranch activities, but the upcoming weather forecast plays a big part in how we try to do things. :wink:

I was thinking about asking our veterinarian to work on Sunday, a week ago when it was going to be the last nice day, but hated to do it. Kosmo Kid took the bull by the horns, though, and made proper arrangements. I was proud and happy with both him and the vet when they preg-checked our last bunch of cows on a beautiful 60 degree day. Cold weather moved in that Sunday night, and there hasn't been a nice day since.

Denny, according to the almanac, the best 5 days to wean in 2 months time were Oct 30-Nov 3. The outfit I'm helping weaned a big group on the 28th, and a few on the 30th, there was about 2 days difference in the bawling between the two groups.

Brad S said:

I sort of addressed the point of lunacy with comment on both the hunters, and the cowboys, thinking the other group had to be crazy to be out that morning! The hunters didn't have to be out, and the cowboys really needed to be there. Some of the hunters were from Memphis, so the weather seemed even more brutal to them.

It is little event like this one that keep life interesting. And give me lots of gray hair!

Tomorrow, we wean them and will soon have all the cattle where they belong for the early part of winter, at least. Fenceline weaning sure is working out well except for this little glitch with the last bunch. The calves most likely won't even do much bawling, since they did quite a bit of that on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday with the change in scenery, but they are on the weaning ground and only the cows will be moved just across the fence.

mrj

We checkd the almanac, and weaned on oct 28, just over 100 hd. They bawled for 2 days, and we havent doctored any

I've never checked the "sign" in my life. I'm probably too old now to learn any new tricks. I'll go with Soap, weather dictates what and when I do things. We preg checked the two year olds today because it was the nicest day in a week. Going to do the mature herd Friday.

Latest posts